Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Blood of The Demon in LITG (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2005 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 1  

Say it's true.

The fact makes it a noteworthy story, right?

But isn't there a bigger story going on here, behind the scenes. I'd like to know how DC can't keep information -like- the likely cancelation of books in house?

If information such as this is leaking, what else is potentially being leaked?

Leaking information is doing nothing for DC's credibilty as an employer, particularly when they appear to be doing nothing about it.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2005 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 2  

And if it is true, and JB found out about it like this, then DC has slipped below any form of professionalism they may have had.
Back to Top profile | search

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2005 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 3  

"And if it is true, and JB found out about it like this, then DC has slipped below any form of professionalism they may have had."-Brian

Hence the email I sent to them earlier asking them if they felt that they were a fair and professional employer? Well that "Ask the editor" button is sitting there all aloof and teasing me. Flouting its accessablity at me!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Keith Elder
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2005 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 4  

This forum isn't a secret club.  It's accessible to anybody in the world.  You can't post something on the web and get irritated that somebody looks at it.

I could understand getting mad at Johnson if he says that he doesn't read it, but then secretly does... but I don't know if that's the case.  I'm sure there's all sorts of perfectly valid reasons to be mad at him, so we should probably focus on those.

And I seem to remember JB saying something about a 12 issue commitment to BOTD... but I don't think that means anything, other than that it wasn't going to be cancelled at issue seven.  It's just a minimum bound.  DP began with a 12 issue commitment also, and it was later extended to issue 18.

I'm skeptical about the rumor, because if the book is marginal, it is in the company's best interest (perversely) to make that decision as late in the game as possible.  Also, BOTD feels to me like something that would have more potential as a trade paperback than DP did.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2005 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 5  

Johnston's self appointed job is to report lies. Yes he also reports truths and half-truths, but he openly keeps his standards below that of professional journalism so that he can sell the lies too.

Someone lied with the intent to destroy any chance of BOTD surviving. This is the book I and many others felt confident it is firing on all cylinders, and the stable sales reflect that. So somebody felt it had to be sunk. And unless RJ has completely fabricated this story, "Mr. X" works in the offices of DC. Who would gain from this? How? How many more drones within DC are out to get him?

A little while ago Mike O'Brien expressed a great deal of frustration at DC. I'm starting to feel the same way too.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2005 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 6  

If DC is willing to say this rumour is untrue, and no decisions have been made about BOTD, then they can request LITG remove the story, and it will be done.  Rich has done so before whenever asked.

John McMahon
Byrne Robotics Member
Membership Revoked

Posted: 23 August 2005 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 7  

Joe Zhang wrote:
Someone lied with the intent to destroy any chance of BOTD surviving.

....or someone told the truth with the blah blah blah.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Tishman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2005 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 8  

Joe Zhang wrote:
This will kill BotD sales. DC has to shut this gossip bitch down.

With all due respect:

1- I doubt they can. You can't stop people from talking and speculating and reporting rumors.
2- That would alienate more people than DC would lose through anything he reports.

You can't fight the internet. You have to roll with it. ANything else is PR/commercial suicide.

John Byrne wrote:
Funny that no one from DC has bothered to mention this to me.

That sucks. You deserve better. First DP's cancellation gets leaked on LITG before they tell you, now this. Plus the redrawn art in Action...

I don't know how to spell DC with asteriskes in any way that would still be intelligible. D*, maybe?

Steve Horton wrote:
But what are DC sources doing talking to a rumor column anyhow? Unprofessional.

With any organization the size of DC, you're going to have a sizeable number of people who Just Don't Care. They're just working another office drone job, so they don't really have any loyalty to or interest in the comics.

Conversely, you probably also have a good number of people who are there because they're big fans, and revel in their power to shape the industry to their liking by leaking info.

They'll never get caught. There are just too many people in and out of an office like that, and it's just too easy to drop someone like Johnston an e-mail or an IM without anyone ever knowing.

The only way DC can deal with this is by making sure that they get to the creators as soon as any decision is made, because the longer they wait, the more likely it is that the creator is going to find out from an online rumor column.

I think it's entirely likely that BOTD is already dead as far as DC is concerned, and that the decision has already been made. Given that, it's inexcusable that DiDio didn't call JB directly, but stalled until some jerkwad intern leaked the info to Johnston. Totally unprofessional.

Brendan Howard wrote:
Rich is a John Byrne fan. He's also a gossip-spreading blight on the whole comicbook industry.

I wouldn't say that. He writes an excellent column which is accurate more often than it's not, which is precisely why it pisses people off at the Big Two.

But that's like dinosaurs getting angry at mammals for being smaller, faster, and more efficient. People in all aspects of the media industry need to understand that you just can't keep secrets anymore, and you can't win fighting against the self-appointed online punditocracy, because they can literally make or break your relations with your fanbase. If you make people choose sides between the DC or M***** corporate offices and an online rumor columnist, they're going to pick the rumor columnist every time, because he's one of them and DC and M***** are Faceless Corporate Entities. Even artists and writers who side with the publishers against the online fan community are likely to alienate thir own fans.

It doesn't matter what we think of Johnston. We have to play nice, or we will lose. That's how the game works now, for better or worse.

Joe Zhang wrote:
He destroys that which he is obsessed with. Are you "cool" with that?

I don't think that's true. He does more good than harm.

Right now, I think it's more productive to get pissed at DC for most likely jerking JB around than it is to get pissed at Johnston for letting us know about it.

Brian Miller wrote:
And if it is true, and JB found out about it like this, then DC has slipped below any form of professionalism they may have had.

My point exactly! Lay off Johnston, and crucify DiDio!

Joe Zhang wrote:
Someone lied with the intent to destroy any chance of BOTD surviving.

We don't know that. You're assuming he's lying, and, frankly, I doubt he is. Given that his source for the DP cancellation was dead on, and sales for BOTD are less than what we'd like to see, I think the balance of evidence favors Johnston's story, whether we'd like to accept that or not.

The issue is not Johnston lying to sabotage JB. The issue is DC leaking like a rowboat made of Swiss cheese, and about JB not being the first person on the phone when decisions are being made in th DC office about his books.

Edited by Mike Tishman on 23 August 2005 at 7:45pm

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2005 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 9  

The comic book industry must be filled with the most unprofessional people on the planet.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 August 2005 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 10  

John Byrne: Funny that no one from DC has bothered to mention this to me.

Mike Tishman: That sucks. You deserve better. First DP's cancellation gets leaked on LITG before they tell you, now this.

You miss my point. No one at DC has told me because it's not true. No decision has been made on the future of BLOOD.

Trevor Giberson
Byrne Robotics Chronology

Posted: 23 August 2005 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 11  

That's good news.  I just got the first four issues in from eBay today, and I really dig 'em.

Mike Tishman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2005 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 12  

John Byrne wrote:
You miss my point. No one at DC has told me because it's not true. No decision has been made on the future of BLOOD.

No disrespect intended, but are you sure? DC may not have called you, but have you called DC since this was printed?

This all just smells really fishy to me. It just seems like you're getting dicked around.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version