Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 29 Next >>
Topic: So I Watched "The Incredibles"… (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 1  

…and it was pretty much everything I was afraid it would be. Some good characterizational moments, yes. Some fairly spectacular superheroics, to be sure. But an overall disdain for the genre that came thru in almost every scene. The impression was that there were two groups of people working on this movie -- one that liked superheroes (and had obviously read a lot of back issues of FANTASTIC FOUR*), and one that had no love for the concepts. The first group gave us Elasti-Girl shaping her body into a boat and Dash propelling it, or Mr. Incredible defeating the robot monster by turning its own strength against itself. The second gave us Elasti-Girl stuck between doors in a hallway when she is unable to stretch far enough to snag the electronic key from the belt of a guard (yet, moments later, is able to stretch further to beat up a couple of guards and snag that same key), or Dash getting bugs splattered all over his face the first time he uses his full speed (something which mysteriously does not happen thru-out the rest of the movie).

Good performances by the voice talent, and I enjoyed the riffs on James Bond style background music -- but if I had gone in looking for the "reverent" treatment of superheroes so many hereabouts swore the movie contained -- well, I would have had a very hard time finding it.

*And the next person who tells me this movie is not a blatant FF rip-off better duck! The %#$@ ing MOLE MAN even turns up at the end!!

Back to Top profile | search

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 2  

I think they had some fun with the concept without making fun of it.  9 out of 10 for me.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Todd Hembrough
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 3  

JB are you giving the movie 0 rogies?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 4  

Rog didn't like all the robots getting trashed, so he
disdains to comment.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 5  

I thought the Mole Man turning up at the end was a great "tip-of-th-hat" to the FF, which the rest of the film had been so clearly "sampling" from.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mikael Bergkvist
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 6  

Rip off.. tribute to.. or parody of.. I think the last option applies best, only they forgot to tell the audience.
I'd prefer it if they had had the guts to actually do a straight forward parody instead, in a way that was clearly noticable.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 7  

What would be the point of telling an audience that it's a parody that the largest majority of the audience had no chance in "getting"?

John C. Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 8  

well JB at least you finally did see it. too bad you weren't crazy about  it but take it for what it was 90 min or so of pure enjoyment.(i hope you at least enjoyed some of it?) the wheel wasn't reinvented with this film but for that little bit of time (at least to me)it was pure escapism.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 9  

Gol dang it, guys. Will you quit trying to get him to like this? He isn't giving Hollywood a pass on this (and, frankly, I don't blame him). All the "take it for what it is" isn't going to change that.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Todd Hembrough
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 10  

I really enjoyed the movie, and the twins watch it a couple times a week.  I agree with what JB says.  I also agree (with others) that it is a brilliant 'ripoff' which was clever, and very entertaining.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 11  

I found the movie to be enjoyable and yeah blantantly FF .I loved the Mole Man at the end Too bad that film wasn't called Fantastic Four instead

Anthony Dean Kotorac
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 12  

I thought this movie was average. It really didn't excite me at all.
Oh well at least it was better than Finding Nemo...

Page of 29 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version