Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 29 Next >>
Topic: So I Watched "The Incredibles"… (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 1  

I do have to say, seeing Dash whipping about I was totally seeing "Daniel" from JBNM.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 2  

I'm not sure, given your examples (Elasti-Girl stretching and Dash's bug problem), why you saw disdain for superheroes in the movie.

It's part and parcel with the whole thing about capes. We know that in the real world, if people were jumping around like superheroes wearing capes, they'd probably break their necks in about a minute and a half. We also "know" that The Flash would be smeared with dead bugs and that the Invisible Woman would be blind. We "know" that if Cyclops fired a blast strong enough to blow a hole thru a brick wall Isaac Newton would be right there insisting that Cyke himself be hurled backwards with equal force. We "know" that if the Hulk picked up a tank he would be driven into the groung like a tent peg.

But these things don't happen, because these are basic conventions of superhero comics. If we are going to start from a point that does not accept them, we are going to end up at a point that cannot help but show disdain for the concepts.

Reed Richards has been stretching around the FF for a few hundred issues now, and to the best of my knowledge nobody has ever slammed a door on part of him. Elasti-Girl it happens to the first time we see her "in action". If the writers look at these amazing powers and immediately start thinking of things that can go wrong with them, how can they be expected to create a total package that shows any real reverence for the form?

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 3  

It's a pretty spurious comparison to make, Jeremy. Barbie is a toy; she doesn't have any body of fiction based on her exploits, unless you want to count the DVDs Mattel keeps pumping out. Nothing in TS2 was "disrespectful" of Barbie in any event. The Darth Vader ripoff villain...? Yeah, maybe, but the character wasn't the basis of that movie; he wasn't even that important.

The Incredibles is a movie ABOUT superheroes that is disrespectful, even mocking, to the genre. With some moviegoers, that's okay. Anyone who claims to love comic books ought to see this movie as somewhat (mildly to very)insulting, because it laughs at things we take seriously. I enjoy humor too, I try not to take myself or my leisure activities too seriously, and I thought there were some good moments in the movie, but I don't rationalize away what The Incredibles says about superhero fiction because of that.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 4  

It was only a slap in the face in the same way that Buzz Lightyear was a slap in the face to action figures and Woody was a slap in the face to old talking dolls. Which is to say, I don't think it was one. Seriously, what did they do in the Incredibles that wasn't done in any of the other Pizar movies? Are Barbie fans upset that Barbie was the butt of jokes in Toy Story 2? Are Star Wars fans boycotting the same movie because of the Blatant Darth Vader Ripoff Villain?

I can't believe you're working this hard to miss the point.

Jeremy Nichols
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 5  

I'm not missing the point at all, JB. I do understand why you feel
the way you do about this -- I just don't agree with you. That's
all. Are we not allowed to make fun of the genre and still like it?
I've read the What The--? stuff and Mad Magazine and seen
things 1000 times more mean-spirited. I love superheroes, you
love superheroes. We all love superheroes.... but if start acting
like everything in the genre is a sacred cow... well, then, we
deserve all the mocking we get.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Clay Adams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 6  

JB wrote: If the writers look at these amazing powers and immediately start thinking of things that can go wrong with them, how can they be expected to create a total package that shows any real reverence for the form?

With all due respect, isn't that the writer's job?  To come up with obstacles for the hero?  The gun jams at a crucial moment... the heroes wind up in a trash compactor... Indiana Jones tosses his whip to someone who betrays him...

The writer is always looking for ways to paint the protagonists into a corner, so I fail to see how this shows disrespect.  The fun is seeing them work around these obstacles.  If they couldn't, then that would be disrespectful.

For that reason I see where you're coming from on the cape thing.  It doesn't bother me, but I can understand why you'd be sensitive to it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 7  

The Incredibles is a movie ABOUT superheroes that is disrespectful, even mocking, to the genre. With some moviegoers, that's okay. Anyone who claims to love comic books ought to see this movie as somewhat (mildly to very)insulting, because it laughs at things we take seriously.

This is the key element, and brings us back to what kept me from seeing the movie in first release: whether it was "reverent" or not (and it most certainly is not), it was sold as camp, as Adam West style "Batman". Remember this:

That was from an ad showing a fat Mr. Incredible struggling to get into his costume -- in a scene that is not in the movie! But that ad -- made by Brad Bird and his team -- was what boys at Pixar wanted a civilian audience expecting when they went into the theater. And just in case that didn't do the job, there was this print ad:

Mind you, as I noted at the time of release, there was little danger this campaign would not do its job. My civilian frieds who saw the movie all went in expecting a "Batman" style comedy, and that's what they saw.

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 8  

I hated the capes joke. It was stupid and uncalled for. The only ones laughing would be all these guys that hate Superman, imo.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 9  

Exactly. Incredibles was the FF done as Batman-style camp. We're still feeling the aftershocks from that adaptation of a comic book...

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 10  

The print ad John has posted above was also at the website's entrance point.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 11  

If the writers look at these amazing powers and immediately start thinking of things that can go wrong with them, how can they be expected to create a total package that shows any real reverence for the form?

+++

With all due respect, isn't that the writer's job?  To come up with obstacles for the hero?  The gun jams at a crucial moment... the heroes wind up in a trash compactor... Indiana Jones tosses his whip to someone who betrays him...

Curiously, those are not superhero powers going wrong, are they? Guns jam. People betray people. (The latter does not even depend upon Indy's trademark whip -- the betrayal could have come in any form).

In the case of super powers, the "writer's job" is to show us the amazing things that can be done with them, not how they can go wrong. Show me Superman doing something with his powers that he's not done before, and I will be impressed. Show me his cape getting caught in an elevator door, and all you are telling me is that you have no respect for the character or, more than likely, the genre. Especially when those things going wrong are played for laughs. Especially when the laughs are at the character's expense.

Clay Adams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 12  

Andrew Bitner wrote:  We're still feeling the aftershocks from that adaptation of a comic book...

Yes we are.  Many children picked up comic books and developed a life-long love of the character because of that show. 

<< Prev Page of 29 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version