Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: John - Do You Know the Origin of This Drawing? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2005 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

Here's a question for your ilk, then - why does JB get singled-out for this stuff? I mean, I clearly demonstrated that Will Eisner is a racist via the panel I presented above, right? That's how you idiots think, right?

Note: I realize that my use of the term 'idiots' here is an insult to idiots everywhere. Apologies, I just can't think of a better descripter at the moment.

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2005 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 2  

To be fair some people were very even-handed in their comments on the other boards, especially Millarworld. They are open to the idea that the picture is not entirely JB's, and that there have been big cultural changes since the 70's. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2005 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

Hey, is Bendis a racist? When he needed an anal sex scene, he went to the biggest, blackest dick in the Marvel universe, right? (Hmmm...that might be Black Goliath though....)

Jason Carpenter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2005 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 4  

Guys, don't insult Hancock, he has been a pretty fair lad in his posts and calling him an idiot and such serves no purpose and insulting all the posters at Newsarama or Millarworld isn't kosher either. Hancock came here to help END a debate, not get insulted. He has been pretty cool in the whole thing.

Jason

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2005 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 5  

Agreed. I haven't checked any of the other sites/threads mentioned, so I'm assuming Hancock isn't one of those posting negative stuff elsewhere. He's been straight forward here, so there's no need to insult him. Relax. Is your avatar representative of how you're feeling today, J.F.?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2005 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

Eh, probably.

I would like to know why JB seems to be the only comics creator that gets this sort of nonsense, though.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 November 2005 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 7  

Because there are an awful lot of fans who cannot
think anything other than what they are told to think --
and the more negative the better.

It is, after all, much easier to destroy than to create.

Jeff Stone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2005 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 8  

Brilliant statement!  Common people generally fear brilliance in creativity.  Funny how they picked that small item out of a beautifully drawn, albeit anguished, Colossus.

I would challenge 'he who has not uttered a racist term, cast the first stone' to any at the other forum.

Doug Hancock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2005 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 9  

Jason Carpenter
Guys, don't insult Hancock, he has been a pretty fair lad in his posts and calling him an idiot and such serves no purpose and insulting all the posters at Newsarama or Millarworld isn't kosher either. Hancock came here to help END a debate, not get insulted. He has been pretty cool in the whole thing.

Thank you. And for anyone wanting to know how I feel about John and his work feel free to check out the JohnByrne Appreciation Thread that was running on Newsarama for awhile. I didn't start it but I participated heavily.

Jason Carpenter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2005 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 10  

No problem Dog. Yer a kool kat in my book.

Jason

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2005 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 11  

Ditto. 

Patrick Gerard
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2005 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 12  

Eisner, BTW, reportedly felt some remorse for that portrayal in his later years and cited it as a regret about his work.

I appreciate you for clearing this up, Mr. Byrne.

I was about to ask for some info on this cover myself as there has been a lot of speculation as to the origin of this cover.

My own feeling was that it was either not your work or that if it was, it was in response to something.

There's an unfortunate tendancy to assume that conservatives or individuals over the age of thirty are somehow far more likely to be bigoted and my own feeling was that there was some explanation for this piece.

Of course, one of the major fallacies with the cries that arose over this piece was the charge of "racism". As I understand it, "racism" refers to a policy designed to oppress people of a particular race and that seems awfully hard to do when the piece is obscured behind a UPC box.

The piece MIGHT be considered bigoted but that would require more information on the piece unless one is capable of reading the mind of the cartoonist responsible.

I realize that it's probably less shocking to someone who worked in the less PC offices of Marvel during the 70s but speaking as someone who grew up a bit later, I've only been exposed to such art in conjunction with the Klan's "master race" cartoons which I learned about in high school.

It is a relief, for me at least, that it wasn't your drawing and while I realize that some people online have certain prejudices about you and your work, the knowledge that the drawing isn't yours should calm more reasonable folks out there. (And I am naive/idealistic enough to believe that there are more reasonable people online than anyone gives them credit for; it's just the loud voices and the irrational moments that make the loudest noise.)

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version