Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2005 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

co-created.

I know that and you know that, but...

Back to Top profile | search

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2005 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Wolverine, when he was in fact dreamt up by Len Wein and Herb Trimpe with a little bit of input from Roy Thomas.

and Romita Sr. came up with the costume I believe. and CC and JB really started developing him.

And then Chris Claremont and maybe Frank Miller added the Japanese/Samarai interest and aspect and the more noble and struggling aspects of his character

So Wolverine has many fathers I think.

Edited by Rob Hewitt on 29 November 2005 at 11:16am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brendan Howard
Byrne Robotics Member
FAQ Master Supreme

Posted: 29 November 2005 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I know we started this process on one of the old boards. Did anyone save those lists?

Are we limiting the list to costumed characters? Superpowered characters? Characters who appeared in more than one panel? More than one issue? For example, would Dr. Darling and Tommy from "Hero" in FANTASTIC FOUR count?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 November 2005 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Silver Swan

Methinks you mean Silver Banshee.

Luca Too
Byrne Robotics Member
Auto-Contrarian

Posted: 29 November 2005 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's amazing how little Chris Claremont contributed to that X-Men run....

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 November 2005 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Chris contributed a great deal -- just less and less as we went along. Roger Stern (the editor for a substantial part of our run) and I were much better verses in pre-Thomas/Adams X-Men lore than Chris was, so together we started concocting more and more of the plot threads, and feeding them to Chris.

Keith Elder
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2005 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

One problem is that who 'created' a character is a hard thing for the comic-book buying public to determine.  It could be the writer, the artist, the editor, or even the Marketing department... and is probably more often than not a combination of them.

Would it make more sense to rigidly define it as 'characters whose first appearance was in a book JB drew or wrote'?  That might overstate things a bit, but without reading JB's mind*, it might be the best we can do.  It would eliminate the 'was it Chris or John?' type of guessing.

*Unless we ask JB, I suppose.  It'd be cool if he had a place online where we could ask him things.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 November 2005 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Most characters are an ongoing process of "creation", if we abuse the word a wee bit. I mean, technically, an act of creation is finite -- it happens, and all else that follows is merely extrapolation.

For instance, I probably had more to do with Wolverine becoming who and what he was by the time I left UNCANNY than anyone directly involved in his creation. Does this make me one of Wolverine's creators? Flip side, Alpha Flight were largely assembled to be a bunch of characters who could survive a battle with the X-team of the time. Does this make Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Len Wein, Dave Cockrum and Chris Claremont equally Alpha-Daddies?

Stan Lee and Steve Ditko created Spider-Man, no doubt about it -- but the character currently appearing in titles bearing that name has little in common with the one who appeared in AMAZING FANTASY 15. How many fathers does Spider-Man have?

(When does the act of creation take place? Kitty Pryde was the first superhero to be identified as Jewish, but Colossal Boy was around before she was, so I have heard people refer to him as the "first Jewish superhero", even tho his Judaism was a retcon.)

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2005 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That's a very interesting point-- something I would think is intrinsic to serial storytelling. No "creation" is ever truly finished, because the character persists even through changes in the creative team. Influences and precursors affect the initial creation, then this creation changes over time as others put their stamp on it (for good or ill).

That said, there are certainly writers and artists (not necessarily the creators) who develop the "definitive" version of a character. I would argue that JB created the definitive Wolverine, because that version of the guy is the one everybody wanted to use (and abuse) afterward.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2005 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

How about Spinerette?  And that overweight villainess from Alpha Flight, Pink Pearl (or something like that)?  Seems to me he did quite a bit of whole cloth creation in ALPHA FLIGHT... like, all of the heroes and many of the villains?

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2005 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Speaking of Alpha Flight

The Master of the World.

Simon Abbey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2005 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
(When does the act of creation take place? Kitty Pryde was the first superhero to be identified as Jewish, but Colossal Boy was around before she was, so I have heard people refer to him as the "first Jewish superhero", even tho his Judaism was a retcon.)

I think you can ditch this one, since the current version of The Legion features a Colossal Boy who is a native of a planet of giants (which, so far, has not been identified with a tribe of Judea). A bit of a disappointment for me, since I actually enjoyed the retcon, if not the hubris which JB seems to be citing.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version