Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Legion of Superheroes the comic and the new cartoon (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 1  

My personal favorites back in the day were Ultra Boy, Chameleon Boy, and Colossal Boy because his mother was President.  Maybe I liked his mother more, I dunno.  Weird, the things I can remember.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 2  

Most folk 'round these parts know I have no fondness for the Legion. I was "present at conception", having read the story that introduced them when it was first published. My younger self -- often the butt of cruel tricks played by the other kids at school -- instantly hated these punks from the future for the trick they played on Superboy. My older self has never quite been able to get over it.

I have other reasons for disliking the Legion, tho. I have watched as they became almost the Poster People for things that have gone wrong in comics over the past several decades. As characters introduced as kids barely into their teens turned into Babes and Hunks, and started getting all grim and matrimonial. For a series set in the future, and therefore not bound in any way to real time, this is absolutely absurd. But, of course, it's hard to draw realistic kids, and much more fun to draw chicks with big hooters.

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 3  

JB's an....AGEIST!

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 4  

JB, You identifed taht it is hard to draw realistic kids.  I thought your take on the Legion in generation harkened back to the early days of the Legion.  Did you enjoy doing them for the Generation title?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 5  

"Enjoy" would not be my first choice of word!

G3 as published was not what I originally planned for the third installment of GENERATIONS. It was the assistant editor who suggested that I take the story forward in time, this outing, all the way to the time of the Legion. This immediately suggested using the Legion as the launch point, too, and thus the appearance of Saturn Girl in the first issue.

If I had proceeded with G3 as planned, I would not have used the Legion, nor can I imagine any future iteration -- now a moot point -- where I would have, either.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 6  

I was lucky enough to be introduced to the Legion under more faverable circumstances, with Steve Lightles run on the comic. I was only really with the comic for about twelve issues before I lost the taste for it (coincidentally the end of a major story arc)
At it's core the attraction for me was the same with any team book: getting to know the characters. Once that was ahceived and realising there was no further "developments" I lost interest fast.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 7  

Next to Spider-Man, the Legion is probably the one title that I have been able to come closest to being able to complete.
Only missing one issue from the Adventure run, three from Action and a few of their first twenty stories.
My Legion ceased to be with issue #4 of the TMK run. Good and bad, I've stayed with it though.
The newest version is ok, still waiting for it to feel like the Legion though.

The cartoon? As much as I'd like to be thrilled that the Legion is getting a series, I just don't care for the look of the animation. If it airs in Canada (and I assume it will) I'll give it a try, but I expect to be disappointed.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 8  

Good and bad, I've stayed with it though.

Why are you supporting something you don't enjoy?

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 9  

I never took the time and effort to get into the Legion until recently. I picked up the new series out of curiosity, and am loving it. It's easily my favorite superhero book every month.

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 10  

Most folk 'round these parts know I have no fondness for the Legion.

I thought so.  Still, that image that Daniel Kendrick posted makes me feel all warm n' fuzzy inside.

I have way too many favourite Legionnaires to name.  Didn't like the 5 Years Later stuff either...I mean, I'm not saying that all comics have to be about superheroes, but shouldn't a comic called Legion of Super-Heroes feature folks in costumes battling supervillains with their amazing powers?

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 11  

Why are you supporting something you don't enjoy?
************************************************************ *************************************

This is the hard part..It's not that I didn't enjoy it.
Maybe "bad" was the wrong word to use.
I've never found it to be "I hate this" -drop the title bad, but more of a dislike along the lines of "what the hell are they doing, I don't really care for this direction"  bad.

To compare..Spider-Man for me has been destroyed. I don't recognize the character or enjoy what's going on it the book anymore, so I dropped it.
The Legion never crossed that point for me.
I didn't care for the era of the "Archie" Legion and that was the first time I almost dropped the book. I stayed with it, (maybe I shouldn't have) the storylines changed and I began to enjoy it again.

With the current version, It's such a different take that if I decide I don't like where it's going, I could drop it, move on and be content re-reading my old stuff.
Currently, the series seems very slow moving. I hate the current write for the trade trend and wish we could go back to single or two - three part storylines.

I hope I answered your question. There is just something about the Legion that appeals to me like no other book. It's the only title that I haven't dropped at some point over the last twenty plus years since my return to comics.

Chris Back
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 12  

JB...I find it difficult to tell the difference between when you're enjoying a project and when you're not.  Based on the quality of work....I would have thought Legion to be a favorite.  

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version