Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 3:02am | IP Logged | 1  

I agree with Brad Danson and the rest: day-and-date is the real story here. The costume changes and renumbering are opening acts.

Fascinating that DC, which didn't launch an app store until months after the iPad's launch and has been incredibly stingy with its offerings, is the first to go day-and-date across the board.

How do retailers feel about this news?

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 5:17am | IP Logged | 2  

The costumes are a bit odd, but costumes can be improved. At least this reboot dumps a lot of trash that accumulated in the past decade. But will it just make room for more new trash?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 3  

Wow... so they really are gonna pull the plug on all the stories that have been brewing for the past few years?  There's basically no purpose in buying a single DC comic between now and this relaunch.

Pop quiz: what has two thumbs and is about to cancel all his DC subscriptions?

This guy!

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 5:32am | IP Logged | 4  

I think Lee is a good artist. His costume designs, however, are awful. I've never thought of Cyborg as one of the major players in the DCU to be in the JLA "all-star" line-up. Poor Martian Manhunter. He gets no respect in any continuity.

Prediction 1. Jim Lee's run on Justice League will have to be two issues long or this book will never come out.

Prediction 2. This will be a year long story (12 issues each for all new titles) that will lead to the re-relaunching of the current DCU. Think Heroes Reborn and Heroes Return.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 5  

This "news" brings up strange emotions for me.  I haven't read any in-continuity DC titles since JB left DOOM PATROL and BLOOD OF THE DEMON.  I haven't read any non-Byrne, in-continuity DC titles in a full decade or more I suspect. 

I've been trying to think of an analogy for my feelings about this sort of thing:  It's like having a group of very close friends from when you were young who sort of went bad.  At some point you realized they were not good people or at least not good to be friends with and drifted away from them.  You're still friends with others who know your former group of friends and occasionally update you on their lives.  You get to hear about all the trouble they have gotten into and what a wreck they've made of their lives.  You've distanced myself from them emotionally so much that you can't really say you care but there's definitely something in the back of your mind triggered by this "news". 

Weird.  Oh well, I'm glad I don't care anymore.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 6  

Perfect summation of feelings, Joe. See ya at the class reunion (aka comic cons).

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 5:53am | IP Logged | 7  

But will it just make room for more new trash?
--

Count on it.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 6:14am | IP Logged | 8  

Craig, I don't get the "stories between now and September won't
count" attitude. They'll "count" as much as any fiction published. If
they're stories you (2nd person plural) enjoy read and be entertained
by them. Otherwise ignore them and find something (back issues,
another media, TV, etc.) that does entertain you.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 6:16am | IP Logged | 9  

I'm going to check it out. My perfect DCU is the DCUA since I was a Marvel kid so I'm not as married to DC characters comics-wise. If this stuff is crap, I won't buy it but I'm at least interested in what they're doing.

I've stated before that I'd like to see Identity Crisis removed from continuity, apparently I've gotten my wish.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 01 June 2011 at 6:22am

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 10  

@Adam - I feel like why keep investing time (and money) into stories and characters that ultimately will be gone in two months?  I collect almost every Bat-title currently.  The "other" Robins are some of my favorite characters: Tim, Jason, Damian.  All gone?

Although, seems like there is some error in the coverage.  Fabian himself says (on the Robin thread of the DC forum) that he is not going to write Teen Titans, as widely reported. 

I suppose I will at least wait and see what wisdom the solicits provide, but at this point, I cannot see supporting this move with a single DC purchase.  As fans, the best we can do is vote with our wallets, so I'll take my money elsewhere.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 11  

Craig,

I can see your point. I really enjoy Batgirl and I'm pretty sure that it's not going to survive this reboot but on the bright side for me, I can enjoy it for a few more issues.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 12  

I've never thought of Cyborg as one of the major players in the DCU to be in the JLA "all-star" line-up.

Cyborg always had the potential to become an A list character; it's up to a given writer to find what's cool about a character, and develop him/her into a major player (which is a big challenge). As someone who was introduced to him in the early 80s, I'm kinda glad he's getting the spotlight.

But that new design is atrocious, ugh.

Identity Crisis removed from continuity

I've read a rumour that the grim and gritty events from DC history (Joker killing Jason Todd, for example) will be purged so that the rebooted heroes don't carry emotional 'baggage'.

If that's true, it's a step in the right direction, IMO.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version