Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Too Many Mutants (and Others) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2011 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 1  

Rick, I thought they were true mutants altered into "mutates". The
government altered their natural mutation to fit what need they had
in industry. There was a definite mutation in the selection process to
choose who would be altered. Only people with certain genetics were
changed. Also, Morrison isn't the only one who identified them as the
same as mutants; pretty much every writer since original story
identifies them as same as mutants.
Back to Top profile | search

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2011 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

Wasn't there also revealed to be thousands of mutants living in the subways across the US...the Morlocks in X Men back in 1983?

That right there pushed the mutants population to idiotic numbers.

Edited by Dale Lerette on 06 September 2011 at 8:57pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2011 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 3  

Fortunately an ensuing storyline murdered all but a handful of Morlocks.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 3:55am | IP Logged | 4  

I think that, as time goes by and in normal conditions,  the mutant population will always tend to increase while human population will decrease, after all they're the "next evolutionary step". The thing is that this change would probably take several generations... not just a few years.

Edited by Armindo Macieira on 07 September 2011 at 3:56am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 5  

Rick, I thought they were true mutants altered into "mutates". Thegovernment altered their natural mutation to fit what need they hadin industry. There was a definite mutation in the selection process tochoose who would be altered. Only people with certain genetics werechanged. Also, Morrison isn't the only one who identified them as thesame as mutants; pretty much every writer since original storyidentifies them as same as mutants.

You might be right. It's been a while since I read the original story. I just recall it being stated that the Mutates were artificially created during pregnancy (or something like that).

Edited by Rick Whiting on 09 September 2011 at 8:52pm

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 5:01am | IP Logged | 6  

Wasn't there also revealed to be thousands of mutants living in the subways across the US...the Morlocks in X Men back in 1983?

No. The Morlocks were originally revealed to only exist in the NYC subways. The whole retcon (and IMO, stupid) idea of their being multiple Morlock communities around the country came about 7 to 9 years ago.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 7  

Back when Roger Stern was editor of UNCANNY, and I was penciling and co-plotting the book, he and I had many a discussion about just how many mutants there were in the world. Rog estimated the mutant population to be around 1 in a million -- so, at that time, the US would have had about 250 mutants. Of course, this was also influenced by how technologically advanced a country was, since most of Marvel's mutants depended upon some kind of nuclear accident happening to or near their parents. So, altho China had a population of around 900,000,000 back then, Roger estimated their mutant population would be a lot lower than 900, since most of the country was still in the Dark Ages, technologically.

With a global population of about 4,000,000,000, the 1 in a million count put the mutant population at close to 4,000, worldwide, with maybe a couple of thousand shaved off by how much of the population would be in the Third World. Two thousand mutants, total, in all the world, seemed like a manageable number. Especially given that many of the mutations would be quite minor. And some, of course, would be lethal!

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 8  

Didn't House of M take down the number of mutants down to 198 for the whole world??  So a top 100 would be more then half of every mutant in the MU. Or did they change that since then??? Or maybe I am misremembering this??

The population is still around 200 (most of whom live on Utopia - I mean, Asteroid M).  Mutant 0 was revealed to be Typhoid Mary and she was on Gyrich's Shadow Initiative for a time.  Hope was then born and raised in the future by Cable (who is now dead).  5 more mutants have since been discovered (called the 5 lights) and they are Hope's team (I know nothing about them, or whether they are even real mutants - I don't read her book).

Havok and Polaris are out adventuring in space.  Madrox and Layla Miller & co. are headlining the X-Factor book out of Mutant Town in NY. 

I have no idea what's happened to Storm since she married T'Challa.

Jubilee lost her powers after M-Day, used technology to gain new powers and was a new New Warrior for a while and as I understand it, is now a friggin vampire.

Wolverine is about to take a faction of his own X-Men back to Westchester and it appears as though Emma (possibly without Scott) will remain on Utopia with Magneto, Namor & the Atlantians, etc.  Beast, with apparently more sense than any of them, straight up left and works for Cap on the Secret Avengers.

This is the bizarre status of the X-population at the moment.

_____

The funny thing about HOM, is that it wouldn't have been necessary if Marvel hadn't allowed Morrison to increase the mutant population to millions of mutants during his New X-Men run.

I haven't read it in a while but didn't Morrison kill those extraneous Genoshan mutants off almost immediately in his New X-Men run?  I think only Emma and Magneto survived the Sentinel attack, then about a year or so later, the Decimation decreased the ranks of known mutant population even further.  The millions, and millions, of dead Genoshans really served as nothing more than fodder/plot device.  The were essentially only rhetorical mutants.

Edited by Craig Robinson on 07 September 2011 at 6:43am

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 9  

The countless members and constant changing of teams were the reason why I eventually gave up reading X-men. It was like every creator felt the need to have their own line-up and create THEIR mutant.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 10  

It was like every creator felt the need to have their own line-up and create THEIR mutant.

••

And that, in a nutshell, sums up a great deal of what's wrong with comics these days.

Consider, again, Neal Adams. Neal is so much more than an artist, in comics. He is a phenomenon. He is a force of nature. And yet, when he arrived on the scene, he did not come thru the door bellowing "I am Neal Adams and I am here to CHANGE things!" Change things he did, but not explosively. When he first drew Batman, he drew him completely on-model. Carmine Infantino was the defining (tho not definitive) Batman artist, and Neal drew Carmine's Batman. When he took over the X-Men, he drew them in his own style, but there was no question that he was drawing the same characters Werner Roth had drawn the month before.

Some years back, at a convention, I was shown some artwork by a brand new artist. It was virtually his first job, and what he was being called upon to do was pages that would fit between existing pages by another artist. Now, this new guy's style was nothing like the older artist's. They both used pencils and they both worked on paper, and any similarities pretty much ended there. This should not have been a problem, yet it was. Turning from the older pages to the new, I could not even recognize the characters. Literally from one page to the next, it became impossible to tell who was in the scene. This young artist has made absolutely no attempt to draw the characters as the older artist had. Not aping the older artist's style, mind you. Just pretending they were both looking at the same live models. Given that the young artists WAS heavily aping the style of a then "hot" artist, it was very much a signpost, pointing down a road I did not want to travel.

Time and again I have seen this. A new artist comes along and, not only doesn't try to drawn the characters as they have looked up to that point, but INSISTS that it is is "right" to "make his mark".

Neal Adams made his mark like nobody before or since. But first, he showed the proper respect for what had come before. And THAT'S the way you do it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 11  

Havok and Polaris are out adventuring in space. Madrox and Layla Miller & co. are headlining the X-Factor book out of Mutant Town in NY.

I have no idea what's happened to Storm since she married T'Challa.

Jubilee lost her powers after M-Day, used technology to gain new powers and was a new New Warrior for a while and as I understand it, is now a friggin vampire.

Wolverine is about to take a faction of his own X-Men back to Westchester and it appears as though Emma (possibly without Scott) will remain on Utopia with Magneto, Namor & the Atlantians, etc. Beast, with apparently more sense than any of them, straight up left and works for Cap on the Secret Avengers.

This is the bizarre status of the X-population at the moment.

••

I'm going to sit over here in the corner and just be sad for a while.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 12  

Typhoid Mary was mutant 0? Really? What's a mutant zero?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version