Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Too Many Mutants (and Others) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 1  

"With a global population of about 4,000,000,000, the 1 in a million count put the mutant population at close to 4,000, worldwide, with maybe a couple of thousand shaved off by how much of the population would be in the Third World. Two thousand mutants, total, in all the world, seemed like a manageable number. Especially given that many of the mutations would be quite minor. And some, of course, would be lethal! "

If 2000 mutants seems like a managable number.... Then the 200 (more or less) mutants that Marvel has right now in all the world should not be a problem to manage.... No??

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 2  

If 2000 mutants seems like a managable number.... Then the 200 (more or less) mutants that Marvel has right now in all the world should not be a problem to manage.... No??

••

No problem at all, if, like the 2000, they are scattered worldwide.

Back to Top profile | search

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 3  

Didn't the whole playing up of the 'mutant menace', a world that fears and hates them angle necessitate many more mutants? I mean if the US only has 250 and many of them are kids whose powers haven't emerged or can blend in unnoticed like Jean, why would they be feared and hated? Not many people would even ever see a mutant or know if they did when even "evil" ones like the Blob are just working in a circus.

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 4  

Typhoid Mary was mutant 0? Really? What's a mutant zero?

Mutant 0 was a big suspense fail during the Shadow Initiative days under Osborn and Gyrich.  She was on this black ops team with the Iron Spider clones (don't get me started on that fiasco) and some other D-Level characters.  I had no idea she was considered a mutant until after the big reveal.  I'd dropped that book long before then.  She was armored and her identity hidden for a while.  It was lamer than it sounds.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 5  

Marvel's list of "merry mutants." There are well over 200 pictured and/or listed. Apparently, old Avengers villain Whirlwind is a mutant as are some of the Great Lakes Avengers.

They even found a way to get Moon Boy and Devil Dinosaur on that page (though, admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about those characters).

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 6  

Didn't the whole playing up of the 'mutant menace', a world that fears and hates them angle necessitate many more mutants? I mean if the US only has 250 and many of them are kids whose powers haven't emerged or can blend in unnoticed like Jean, why would they be feared and hated? Not many people would even ever see a mutant or know if they did when even "evil" ones like the Blob are just working in a circus.

••

There used to be -- and I HOPE this is something that can be referred to in the past tense! -- a preposterous fear among some people that if you had so much as "one drop" of Black blood, you might one day find yourself the parent of a Black child. When I was a kid, there was even an urban myth to the effect that this had happened to Doris Day, surely one of the Whitest people on Earth!

This is the fear factor in the whole mutant scenario as played in the Marvel Universe -- except, there, it is a very "real" threat. Two perfectly normal people could produce a mutant. No way to prevent it, no way to even know (at least in the Stan and Jack days) until the kid hits puberty.

So it's not about numbers.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 7  

…is a mutant as are some of the Great Lakes Avengers.

••

Surprise to me!!

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 8  

Craig you give an excellent and awesomely unbiased recap of that
storyline.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
…is a mutant as are some of the Great Lakes Avengers.

••

Surprise to me!!

I thought as much. Shame we never got to see your origins for these characters.

All but Dinah Saur are there.

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 10  

You know, I had a lot of hope for that Initiative book.  Brand new characters learning to use their powers by some veteran heroes.  Junior Avengers in training without crazy convoluted backstories.  I didn't mind MVP as the Iron Spider (just the clones).  I thought my son would find the book interesting, but it clearly became a red misting/sex book for older readers fetishizing teenagers with powers.  So I dropped it and sold the issues to 50% price books.  I never let my son read it.

Edited by Craig Robinson on 07 September 2011 at 8:26am

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 11  

So it's not about numbers.

---------------------
That's not the impression I got reading the book(after you left), mutants were a persecuted minority because of the threat their powers posed to "normal" people not because their daughter might unknowingly marry one and have kids.

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 12  

^ I google searched but cannot find it, but there's a classic poster from JB and Claremont era (I think) along the lines of, "Do you know what your children are?" (paraphrasing) that tapped into that genetic,  "what if your child is a mutant?" fear.

I can't remember which book or when, but it's out of the MRA era.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version