Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: Time Off (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 1  

JB: Have you ever considered doing an anthology book of just your stories like DHP?

••

Chris Ryall has suggested such a thing more than once, but I can't see it flying in today's market. Thirty years ago, maybe, when both the marketplace and my position in it were different. But today? When there are retailers who will refuse to order my work even for customers who want it?

---

That's very screwed up.

An anthology could be really cool. The short stories would be neat way to try out new characters and concepts -- and visit older ones (JBNM and DANGER UNLIMITED).

Back to Top profile | search

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

Boy, a JB anthology book? Personally, I'd be all over that!

Jeff Marvin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

An anthology book would be incredible.  Revisiting past things suggested like Danger Unilited, Torch of Librty and new things on the launchpad. JB know how to write cliffhangers that anthologies/serials were built for. 

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 4  

Which, I hope you realize, with already marginal sales such as are to be found at a small independent like IDW, is exactly the kind of thinking that could drop those sales past the recovery point.
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------
Sorry JB but yours were the final comics I was still buying as actual comics and it was getting hard to find either an nearby LCS or a good mail order company who would allow just one comic on a pull list without it being silly postage wise.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 5  

And what was interesting was this was not an "accumulated" check, like the ones I sometimes get from DarkHorse after they've gone a few years "forgetting" to pay me my HELLBOY royalties. Nope, this check was almost entirely my share of the sales on the FF Omnibus that came out a while back. That big, thumping, $75 hardcover.    Given that this was a reprint, my royalty on each issue sold would have been quite small -- but the check wasn't. So, somewhere out there there were enough people willing to cough up a BIG pile of cash for their copies that it rather puts the lie to the idea that my stuff "doesn't sell".
----------------------------------------------
Wow, that's great news. And as a member of a popular collected editions forum I know full well that craving for reprints of Byrne material especially your Marvel work is always rampant.

I guess some people may not get WHY you are so popular but clearly you are and will continue to be. Marvel will carry on pumping out all your old work, they may be stupid in a lot of ways but not in this.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version