Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Time Off (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 1  

Looking forward to whatever comes next. 

Maybe Penny will be a mini down the road... I often wonder who she is and what her world is :)

Back to Top profile | search

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:50am | IP Logged | 2  

JB: (I heard Diamond even provides an app. to do that for them! SURELY that can't be true, can it???)

--

Can it get any worse...?

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 1:05am | IP Logged | 3  

Wilson: Have you ever considered doing an anthology book of just your stories like DHP?

---

That idea reminded me of this FUN cover... 

Caleb M. Edmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 4  

...I am buying your comics in trade form only...

•••

Which, I hope you realize, with already marginal sales such as are to be found at a small independent like IDW, is exactly the kind of thinking that could drop those sales past the recovery point.

Don't worry JB, I routinely buy your stuff in both forms (I'm a the go quite a bit so having the trade of 'fill-in-the-blank' is always helpful), so that should make up the difference.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 2:15am | IP Logged | 5  

(I heard Diamond even provides an app. to do that for them! SURELY that can't be true, can it???) ...

+++

Not that I've ever seen or heard about.

••

Let's hope you're not just missing something!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 2:17am | IP Logged | 6  

Have you ever considered doing an anthology book of just your stories like DHP?

••

Chris Ryall has suggested such a thing more than once, but I can't see it flying in today's market. Thirty years ago, maybe, when both the marketplace and my position in it were different. But today? When there are retailers who will refuse to order my work even for customers who want it?

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 3:44am | IP Logged | 7  

When there are retailers who will refuse to order my work even for customers who want it?

This degree of irrationality could drive you into a permanent vacation! Unbelievably disheartening....

Blair Herd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 4:24am | IP Logged | 8  

Obviously a well deserved time away from the drawing table JB.  Try and enjoy it...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 9  

When there are retailers who will refuse to order my work even for customers who want it?

This degree of irrationality could drive you into a permanent vacation! Unbelievably disheartening....

••

Especially since, as with so much else, it's based on myth.

Some retailers refuse to order my work because "Byrne's stuff doesn't sell." Now, aside from the fact that this is self-fulfilling prophecy, as any reasonable businessman will tell you, and aside from the fact that it's inherently contradictory, if this is being said to someone who WANTS to buy my work. . .

Well, last week I received a royalty check from Marvel. As I opened the envelope, walking up my driveway from the mailbox, I was fully expecting to find one of the $35.76 "mystery checks" that turn up from time to time. I didn't. In fact the check I found was a lot more than that. Like close to a thousand times more!

And what was interesting was this was not an "accumulated" check, like the ones I sometimes get from DarkHorse after they've gone a few years "forgetting" to pay me my HELLBOY royalties. Nope, this check was almost entirely my share of the sales on the FF Omnibus that came out a while back. That big, thumping, $75 hardcover.    Given that this was a reprint, my royalty on each issue sold would have been quite small -- but the check wasn't. So, somewhere out there there were enough people willing to cough up a BIG pile of cash for their copies that it rather puts the lie to the idea that my stuff "doesn't sell".

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 10  

All my local comic shop owners get an ear full of me when they don't order enough of a JB book. The trades are nice to have when they come out, but avoiding the monthly issues just to buy a trade means eventually there will be no trades to buy.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 11  

Re the anthology book idea, if it were a regular series, it would be harder for retailers NOT to carry the book.  Customers would be expecting stores to carry it every month or go elsewhere.  With the mini-series approach, I worry that retailers might pick and choose which series to order and customers would not even know they missed it.

Another benefit to doing this type of book is that you would be able to experiment more.  Right now, if a reader like me is mainly interested in superhero books, he might not buy many of your sci-fi stuff.  But if it were part of a larger book with several stories, he might give it a try.  You could even get other artists to draw your stories occasionally.

Knowing that you would be moving from story to story, would also avoid the criticism you sometimes get for leaving a book too soon.

The downside to all of this would be potentially having to wait a year for a story to finish whereas with a miniseries, it would only take a few months.  New readers might find it to jump right into the book.

Just my two cents.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 12  

The horror stories that alot of people have about their LCS makes me feel extremely lucky to have a good one. There was a huge stack of Trio #1  available to customers last week.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version