Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Bruce/Caitlyn (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

Because she is living her life as a woman?

•••

How does one "live as a woman"? I was discussing this with one of my gal pals and she took offense at the concept. "Is he bad at math and driving?" she asked.

Back to Top profile | search

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 2  

Just to lay it to rest, being transgender is NOT, in and of itself, a mental illness, according to the American Psychological Association.  Many people are uninformed on the subject and make the effort to educate themselves and come to understand what psychological, behavioral, and medical experts have determined.  These people are to be commended even if they have a hard time accepting people who are transgender.  However, those who know the facts and decide to ignore them or who don't give a fig about the facts and just decide that people who are transgender are mentally ill are on the level of those who still consider homosexuality to be a mental illness, which is to say that they're hateful bigots who would probably be thrilled to know about the sky-high suicide risk for people who are transgender.

Here's a blog post that (at the end) has several helpful links, including perspectives from the trans community.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 3  

She's going to have to wait at least 2 years before she can have that operation.  So she couldn't get it right now even if she wanted to.  Besides, despite her being out in the open about what is going on with her life and being VERY open in her feelings, etc., whether or not she does undergo SRS is her private decision.  And, as she said on her interview with Barbara Walters, if or when it gets done, no one will know.

John M. Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 4  

Jeremy, I don't agree with you and I am not a bigot.  I actually have a friend who is going through the same thing.  Her name is Kaitlin believe it or not.

Johns Hopkins Psychiatrist: Transgender is ‘Mental Disorder;' Sex Change ‘Biologically Impossible’

By Michael W. Chapman | June 2, 2015 | 1:34 PM EDT

(CNSNews.com) 
--  Dr. Paul R. McHugh, the former psychiatrist-in-chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital and its current Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry, said that transgenderism is a “mental disorder” that merits treatment, that sex change is “biologically impossible,” and that people who promote sexual reassignment surgery are collaborating with and promoting a mental disorder.

Dr. McHugh, the author of six books and at least 125 peer-reviewed medical articles, made his remarks in a recent commentary in the Wall Street Journal, where he explained that transgender surgery is not the solution for people who suffer a “disorder of ‘assumption’” – the notion that their maleness or femaleness is different than what nature assigned to them biologically.

He also reported on a new study showing that the suicide rate among transgendered people who had reassignment surgery is 20 times higher than the suicide rate among non-transgender people. Dr. McHugh further noted studies from Vanderbilt University and London’s Portman Clinic of children who had expressed transgender feelings but for whom, over time, 70%-80% “spontaneously lost those feelings.”

While the Obama administration, Hollywood, and major media such as Time magazine promote transgenderism as normal, said Dr. McHugh, these “policy makers and the media are doing no favors either to the public or the transgendered by treating their confusions as a right in need of defending rather than as a mental disorder that deserves understanding, treatment and prevention.”

“This intensely felt sense of being transgendered constitutes a mental disorder in two respects. The first is that the idea of sex misalignment is simply mistaken – it does not correspond with physical reality. The second is that it can lead to grim psychological outcomes.”

The transgendered person’s disorder, said Dr. McHugh, is in the person’s “assumption” that they are different than the physical reality of their body, their maleness or femaleness, as assigned by nature. It is a disorder similar to a “dangerously thin” person suffering anorexia who looks in the mirror and thinks they are “overweight,” said McHugh.

This assumption, that one’s gender is only in the mind regardless of anatomical reality, has led some transgendered people to push for social acceptance and affirmation of their own subjective “personal truth,” said Dr. McHugh. As a result, some states – California, New Jersey, and Massachusetts – have passed laws barring psychiatrists, “even with parental permission, from striving to restore natural gender feelings to a transgender minor,” he said.

The pro-transgender advocates do not want to know, said McHugh, that studies show between 70% and 80% of children who express transgender feelings “spontaneously lose those feelings” over time. Also, for those who had sexual reassignment surgery, most said they were “satisfied” with the operation “but their subsequent psycho-social adjustments were no better than those who didn’t have the surgery.”

“And so at Hopkins we stopped doing sex-reassignment surgery, since producing a ‘satisfied’ but still troubled patient seemed an inadequate reason for surgically amputating normal organs,” said Dr. McHugh.

The former Johns Hopkins chief of psychiatry also warned against enabling or encouraging certain subgroups of the transgendered, such as young people “susceptible to suggestion from ‘everything is normal’ sex education,” and the schools’ “diversity counselors” who, like “cult leaders,” may “encourage these young people to distance themselves from their families and offer advice on rebutting arguments against having transgender surgery.”

Dr. McHugh also reported that there are “misguided doctors” who, working with very young children who seem to imitate the opposite sex, will administer “puberty-delaying hormones to render later sex-change surgeries less onerous – even though the drugs stunt the children’s growth and risk causing sterility.”

Such action comes “close to child abuse,” said Dr. McHugh, given that close to 80% of those kids will “abandon their confusion and grow naturally into adult life if untreated ….”

“’Sex change’ is biologically impossible,” said McHugh. “People who undergo sex-reassignment surgery do not change from men to women or vice versa. Rather, they become feminized men or masculinized women. Claiming that this is civil-rights matter and encouraging surgical intervention is in reality to collaborate with and promote a mental disorder.”

Marc Guggenheim
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 5  

This is actually very simple.

"Dressing in drag" is different from being transsexual.  Being transsexual means having a physical gender different from your psychological gender -- e.g., a woman trapped in the body of a man.  It's a psychological thing, not a physical thing.  (That's why Caitlin can be a woman despite having a penis.)

You can be, say, a man who dresses in drag because that's appealing, but still self-identify as a man.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

"This is actually very simple.

"Dressing in drag" is different from being transsexual.  Being transsexual means having a physical gender different from your psychological gender -- e.g., a woman trapped in the body of a man.  It's a psychological thing, not a physical thing."

-----

I don't find that simple at all. What is "a psychological gender"? What does being a woman psychologically mean? Does it mean being sexually attracted to men? Does it mean having maternal instincts? Does it mean wanting a vagina? Does it mean wanting to dress in women's clothes?

I don't know a lot of transgendered people, but my suspicion is that no two of them want exactly the same thing, or think exactly the same way. I'm wildly in favor of treating people the way they want to be treated, but I think gender identity offers a huge variety of possible permutations of desires and aspirations. Calling that "simple" is, I think, an oversimplification itself.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Reis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 7  

at the risk of being attacked by people on every possible side of this (now public) story (and still NOT telling you my opinion or views on the matter) i just want to know what washroom s/he will be allowed to use in public. 
attack away... 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 8  

How's this for simple: treat transgendered persons with common courtesy and address them how they prefer to be addressed.

Marc Guggenheim
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 9  

David, your post is evidence that this forum needs a "like" button.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 10  

I agree with Marc about needing a "like" button.

Well said, David.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 11  

Jeremy, I don't agree with you and I am not a bigot.  I actually have a friend who is going through the same thing.  Her name is Kaitlin believe it or not.

Johns Hopkins Psychiatrist: Transgender is ‘Mental Disorder;' Sex Change ‘Biologically Impossible’

~~~~~~
<sarcasm>Sure like being homosexual is a mental disorder as well. 
Have you tried not being a mutant ?</sarcasm>

John M. Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 9:29pm | IP Logged | 12  

Anthony, I don't think homosexuality is a mental disorder, but I do believe most everyone is a little crazy.

You might want to check this web site out since you are dealing with a child with similar problems.

http://www.sexchangeregret.com/

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version