Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Grant Morrison on New Gods (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2005 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 1  

Wayne Osborne wrote:
 Again, I can also use Animal Man

He reset Animal Man to status quo at the end of his run on that series as well. True, it was the status quo he established when he rebooted the character, but he did indeed put Buddy back into place for future writers. It's not his fault that future writers took him in bizarre directions.

Morrison did some dramatic changes to the Doom Patrol and to the X-Men. I don't think anyone is arguing against that. But not every title he does ends with the toys all out of place. We don't know if Seven Soldiers will be like how he treated the X-Men, or how he treated the JLA, where his last issue brought the league back to the Big Seven, and a basic status quo.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2005 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

But to have been more accurate they probably should have called it the "disfunctional" X-men

I agree.

Back to Top profile | search

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2005 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 3  

Just as a sidenote, and obviously one's opinion is exactly that, but how much damage did he really do to the so-called status quo when almost every "permanent" change he initiated has pretty much been reversed.  The X-Men are back in costumes, Phoenix is back, Magneto is back, Beak and the new Angel are MIA.  The point being, this is comics, there's nothing that can't be undone.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2005 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 4  

The final roster was actually the Big Seven plus Plastic Man, who Morrison always liked in all the character's iterations as the original stretchy hero.

Look at Animal Man:  it began with a fourth-string hero and his family in suburbia.  It ended with a fourth-string hero and his family in suburbia.  He altered Buddy's powers somewhat, but it could have been reversed pretty easily by anyone else who came along.  Also, Buddy's discovery that he's really just a comic book character was set up to have all been a bad dream along with the death of his family.  He was left almost exactly as Morrison set him up.

Wayne Osborne
Byrne Robotics Member
Manhunter

Posted: 21 March 2005 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

Zaki Hasan wrote:
Just as a sidenote, and obviously one's opinion is exactly that, but how much damage did he really do to the so-called status quo when almost every "permanent" change he initiated has pretty much been reversed.  The X-Men are back in costumes, Phoenix is back, Magneto is back, Beak and the new Angel are MIA.  The point being, this is comics, there's nothing that can't be undone.

I'll agree with that, sorta (certainly that nothing can't be undone in comics).  But, having a drug-crazed Magneto who gets beheaded and having Scott "get with" Emma, not to mention the secondary mutations, almost set the "comeback" to far to get to even for comics.  He definitely didn't make it easy for whoever followed him, did he?

WO

Brian Space
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2005 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 6  

Wasn't Magneto brought back in like one issue two months later or something? Seems pretty easy.

Brian

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2005 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 7  

Wayne Osborne wrote:

I'll agree with that, sorta (certainly that nothing can't be undone in comics).  But, having a drug-crazed Magneto who gets beheaded and having Scott "get with" Emma, not to mention the secondary mutations, almost set the "comeback" to far to get to even for comics.  He definitely didn't make it easy for whoever followed him, did he?

WO

Nothing is impossible for...the Claremont.  ;-)

In all seriousness, I haven't read the book since Morrison left, so I'm not sure, but didn't they explain Scott getting with Emma as some kind of mind control or mental seduction of some kind?  And how exactly did they have Magneto come back in EXCALIBUR?

Wayne Osborne
Byrne Robotics Member
Manhunter

Posted: 21 March 2005 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 8  

Eric Kleefeld wrote:
  He was left almost exactly as Morrison set him up.

Ask anyone about Morrison's Animal Man and they'll tell you he was the character who found out that he was a comic book character (anyone who reads comics, that is).  Most won't remember that Buddy was left "almost" exactly as Morrison set him up (but not how he was originally set up though).  But, hell, I'll give you Animal Man too.  That makes it 50/50.  We shall see, won't we?

I wonder if Orion is a good enough boxer to get on "the Contender"..................

WO

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2005 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 9  

It seems to me, and I might be entirely wrong, that Morrison's New Gods story element in MISTER MIRACLE is less a "bold, new vision" than it is an interesting hook for a story, where we start somewhere, don't know how we got there, and then spend the rest of the story getting out of that spot to where we "should be." It reminds me of that UNCANNY X-MEN cover where the circus barker is promoting the X-Men as circus freaks.  I don't believe for one second that from here on out, Orion's "status quo" (there's that word again) is as a broken-down street boxer.

Edited by Zaki Hasan on 21 March 2005 at 2:51pm

Wayne Osborne
Byrne Robotics Member
Manhunter

Posted: 21 March 2005 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 10  

Zaki Hasan wrote:

In all seriousness, I haven't read the book since Morrison left, so I'm not sure, but didn't they explain Scott getting with Emma as some kind of mind control or mental seduction of some kind?  And how exactly did they have Magneto come back in EXCALIBUR?

Me neither.  I have no idea................

WO

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2005 at 2:58pm | IP Logged | 11  

The rationale that was sued in bringing back Magneto is awful.  Magneto would never act with such a disregard for life...

So who was that guy Lee and Kirby created way back in X-Men #1?

Edited by Eric Kleefeld on 21 March 2005 at 3:04pm

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2005 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 12  

Excuse me, Eric, have you actually read X-Men#1?

Where does Magneto show disregard for human life in that issue? When he sends a rocket into the sea or when he chooses to strike at an unmanned target ship or when he asks the humans to surrender?

Comparing Morrison;s sad excuse of Magneto to Stan Lee's is sacrilege....

Morrison left the X-Men changed. The writers that followed had to take care of returning the heros to some sort of order. That is Morrison;s shortcoming. He should have taken care of that job himself. Instead of that, in the final story arc he made matters even worse....

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version