Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN ELSEWHEN 03 - Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB is among the best when it comes to balancing super-powered action and moments like this one.

•••

Among the best?

>sob<

Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Ooh.  Somehow I feel the series kicking into gear with this page.  The earlier pages had a vague table-setting quality (by necessity and I imagine the nature of the exercise), but this 'simple' page has a real verisimilitude to it - life is going on for these characters and for the world around them. And that top panel is astounding, the kind of thing you'd expect to see reprinted in an article about your work.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

QUOTE:
JB is among the best when it comes to balancing super-powered action and moments like this one.

QUOTE:
Among the best?

>sob<

Well, I'm usually so effusive in my praise of your talent that I thought it best to temper today's adulation.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Mr. Byrne, are you planning on putting an anthropomorphic frog in this issue? Would you break my heart again? I so respect your work... but please, no Grunt. I couldn't take it...

Dale E Ingram
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This most recent page is my favorite so far. Seeing this, in pencilled form, uninked, It seems to me how much of your writing is really in the art, and how much of your art is in the pencils. 

What I mean by that is that the writing and the story are as much about the scene you're setting, Your characters are natural, and they act. It's as much about the characters' performance as what's in the word balloons.

And man, that train station rocks...!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Mr. Byrne, are you planning on putting an anthropomorphic frog in this issue? Would you break my heart again? I so respect your work... but please, no Grunt. I couldn't take it..

•••

What you’re seeing here is the Willy Evans I had planned back in 1980. Nothing to do with what came later—except to the extent that I tweaked some of the ideas I had for Willy and used them in my own characters.

And as far as I’m concerned, there’s only one character called Grunt.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

For a so-called "quiet" scene, there's so much going on to look at. I love all the detail in the backgrounds,  and the body language with the characters. Kitty's remark in the last panel about her boyfriend was pretty funny, too.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Adding to the chorus, this is a particularly strong page full of subtle touches and decades of drawing experience on display.  Fun to see the how it fits into the mosaic many months after our first glance!  There is so much goodness in this project, which stands with John's best work.  It demands to find publication and a broader audience (though if the wrestling thread on this website has almost 1.4 million hits I suspect this thread's view counter, if unjiggered, would reveal a number many dozens or hundreds of times higher.)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

With this book being serialized, the mystery and suspense is definitely heightened since it forces us to wait/guess an extra day as opposed to just flippin' the next page (but Aarg! - the wait on some of those pages!).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Since today’s page is the first of several “quite” ones in a row, I’ve been thinking of posting two more today. However, that would create a longer gap between issues if I stick to my first-Monday start next month.

Thoughts?

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Two more today?

“Make it so!”

Kevin Corcoran
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Count me in for "one page per day."

Savoring these are akin to artistic multivitamins (vitamin JB?) Not that I woof 'em down with a glass of water, necessarily, but strive to let the assorted aspects of storytelling and rendering, shifts in pacing and composition absorb into the "bloodstream" in a time-release form.

Having sufficiently ground that metaphor into a fine powder - one day at a time works for me!

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version