Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 53 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 22 --Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I was also thinking about how I've been liking the way Iceman is being rendered, here. 
Back to Top profile | search

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

All 5 panels are magnificent. Another
thanks to X sharing his mental powers with
Jean...Mind over matter rule Alt-M-Men &
Magneto !!!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

QUOTE:
I was also thinking about how I've been liking the way Iceman is being rendered, here.

He is distinctly Iceman and not the Silver Surfer.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It’s all in the ANGLES!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I may have overlooked it, but today's page made me wonder... Does the alternative version of Jean Grey have mental powers beyond telekinesis? I ask because, as we discussed before,  in the original continuity,  Jean couldn't read minds until Charles Xavier shared his ability with her. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Our Jean commented a while back that Alt-Jean can’t read minds.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Jean has mentioned in-story that the other Jean does not share her mental abilities beyond telekinesis.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Jean’s telepathy has been thoroughly mangled over the years. It’s tough sometimes to figure out what happened when. Suffice to say she was “only” telekinetic when introduced in X-MEN 1, and that’s pretty much the version of Jean in the Alt universe. No Xavier there to boost her powers.

(Does anyone recall the first time Jean manifested her telepathy? Was there an in-story explanation at the time? Xavier “sharing” his power while he was “dead” was a retcon, after all.)

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That top panel is priceless. Great to see them together again.

Tony Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Todays first panel made me realize something I had not noticed before... there haven't been any of the ole flashback panels retelling what happened in the previous issues.

In the old days... "For the team of mutant superheroes known as the X-men, a busy week has become even more so..." would have been followed by an entire page recapping everything from the battle with the Sentinels to Dark Phoenix. Which made me realize how much real estate those pages used to take up in traditional comics. 

If traditional comics had been delivered to us online — one page everyday of the month — I doubt "flashbacks" would have ever existed. 

I never cared much for them, because I was a loyal reader and didn't need a summary of what happened in the previous issue. Yet, as a kid, I understood their purpose and found them useful when I was new to a comic — like when X-men #138, was my second introductory issue into the mutant's universe. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

“Every issue is the first issue for somebody.” — Mort Weisinger

In the case of ELSEWHEN, of course, the first issue can be... the first issue! Since they’re all available, free, there is no need for elaborate flashback scenes. Mind you, sometimes those were fun to draw!

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm thinking the first time we had a retcon of Jean always having that ability was the Bizarre Adventures issue (27) with her sister at her graveside remembering an adventure she had with Jean.  In the story being remembered by her sister, Jean remembers first having her powers manifest when her friend was killed by a car hitting her - how that fits into a story about her sister remembering something is beyond me, but whatever.  Had to check and the date was July 1981 (a few months after JB left the X-Men).  Obviously I'd assume it doesn't 'count' for this series, but I think that was the first time it was suggested Jean had telepathic abilities pre-Xavier training her.  It was by Claremont & Buscema btw.

As to today - I love Scott instantly figuring out the metal thing isn't Magneto due to how Magneto joins metal together.  Makes perfect sense that he'd know how to recognize Magneto's work from others much like recognizing one artists' work from another.  Lots of fun to read - glad also to know the smudge on the page was just that, an accidental smudge and not a hint of anything.  We fans all go way to much into these small things at times :) 

<< Prev Page of 53 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version