Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 42 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 23--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2021 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Also, if Lorna and Alex can see that explosion from where they are-- hoo boy, that is not good. (corrected from original)

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 30 June 2021 at 10:20am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 June 2021 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Moira and Sean are otherwise engaged. That’s Lorna and Alex.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2021 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Eep! Sorry, I really was reading much too fast today...

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2021 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I. L. L.

(I love Lorna)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2021 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I always enjoy seeing Muir Island as well as Havok & Polaris. I saw an early '90s Havok with ridiculously sized muscles and while I can see 'Slim' Cyclops developing some muscle as an X-Man, Havok with his power seems somehow redundant to have anything beyond average working size, though I feel he was a little bigger than his brother Scott to start with. Everyone looks great here.

OT stuff: I do have some feeling about letterists and colorists enough that I have a favorite for each... Clem Robbins always seems to be consistent as a letterer, and Glynis Oliver/Wein for coloring. Often I only notice a letterist or colorist credit when there are glaring mistakes (see coloring of Namor #20 compared to #19 and pink Lady Dorma clones). Some coloring screw-ups can be from the printers' side though.

Editors can play a big role in developing writers for the particular form and audience, I wouldn't take that way from them. Of course, that is not needed sometimes, but a last check point should be useful (actually carefully read the comic their name will be on) and sometimes you wondered if the editor listed actually did that when there'd be some major clanger... not just adding those '* as shown in Blah-blah #112 on sale now' type footnotes. Hey, that's something we don't really see here in Elsewhen. Stuff like that might always have been best on a text page somewhere I feel. I think maybe a situation like Denny O'Neil on that Bizarre Adventures magazine, or Archie Goodwin on similar titles, were more 'real' editors that gave shape to the books they were editing. They both had weaknesses in the overall line or Editor-In-Chief position however, although Goodwin's Epic tenure was very high quality.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 30 June 2021 at 10:55am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2021 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This issue going where I didn't think it would. That's great!

The fact that it's crossing into another month without a break must mean something big is about to happen.

Love seeing the Sean, Lorna, & Alex back at Muir Island, but there are questions that I'm sure will be addressed later.

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2021 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Forgot that Sean and Moira were an item when Mr. Byrne left the title.  Thinking back I enjoyed their romance - no talk of marriage, no talk of much, they were just together period.  Alex & Lorna also.  Glad to see the 4 of them again as they were (I like to pretend most of what happened in the main Marvel universe never happened) even if it ends up being just for a single page.  This is fun.  Like seeing old photos you forgot existed.

So much easier when you just flip the page to see what is next vs waiting 24 hours.  Of course, then we'd have to wait 30 days for the next part.  Guess if I wanted I could just avoid the site for a month but knowing this is here makes it too tempting.  We do live in interesting times - the industry is trying out new ways of selling.  A page a day here, kickstarters elsewhere reviving old properties (Dreadstar by Starlin for example), DC & Marvel trying a kinda/sorta Netflix model (pay one price read tons of comics).  In a few years we'll probably see one method become the common but I enjoy the variety of options.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2021 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Here's a question or two:

1. Did you have any plans for Sean / Banshee back in the day? 

2. Was the idea of his sonic powered daughter being kicked around at any point?

3.  Was Moira always going to end up in a cozy relationship with Sean? (before, of course she gained the mutant ability to live life over and over again through multiple timelines, thereby giving the current X-men who live on the living island of Krakoa the idea to terra form Mars into a Mutant planet literally overnight)

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2021 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Banshee's daughter possesses the same powers, so is not a mutant, right?
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 June 2021 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

1) No. in fact we’d retired him.

2) I had nothing to do with her invention.

3) Moira was introduced with the the intent that she become a romantic interest for Sean.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 June 2021 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

(I love Lorna)

•••

First time I saw Jennifer Aniston on FRIENDS, I thought Hey! Lorna Dane!

Paul Go
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2021 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This is one of the reasons I grumbled when various fan awards started including a best/favorite editor category. Ask a hundred fans and ninety-nine of them would not be able to define an editor’s function. Is this book good because of the editor or despite him/her?

I recall conversations where we determined that the best editor was likely chosen based on the "notes from the editor" in the narration (e.g., "...which we saw happen back in issue 135, true believers").  Come to find out years later (I think in this very forum) that those bits were usually put in by the writer, not the editor.  Our young minds would have been flabbergasted (if not for that, what is an editor even for?!?).

Inkers, letterers, colorists, and of course pencillers and writers, we could easily get our heads around. Editors, not so much when we were 12.

<< Prev Page of 42 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version