Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.30--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 February 2022 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I was just reminded of Walter mentioning recently that Marvel turned down a Thor book written by him and drawn by you, JB. Did that in any way inform your decision not to take ELSEWHEN there?

•••

No. ELSEWHEN was not intended for Marvel. Originally it wasn’t even intended for the Forum. It was just me having fun. Then, as the pages piled up—with seemingly no end in sight—I decided to share.

Back to Top profile | search

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2022 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Thank you Mr. Byrne.

Hold on tight, hot stuff...that panel. 

Just thank you. 

Edited by Mike Benson on 03 February 2022 at 7:59pm

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2022 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Strikes me that ELSEWHEN is that rarest of things: a labor of love.
Thank you for sharing it with us, JB. I think all of us are darned glad we can follow the adventures of the X-Men on this alternate history, where what we knew is no guide to what will be.

Christopher Cohen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2022 at 2:17am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

My further dream come true would be Namor Elsewhen that picks up where you left off.  Such a phenomenal series... such fond memories.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 06 February 2022 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Although I certainly appreciate the enthusiasm of those posting in this and the other threads about JB's work on X-MEN ELSEWHEN, I've got to wonder about the increased calls for JB to do other installments, be it JLA/Avengers, Namor or FF.  He's doing this all on his own time and for free.  It must be disheartening for him to read that his work here isn't enough and would be made better by giving everyone more.  

Enjoy what you're getting on such a consistent basis.  Please lay off requests, even if they're innocent, of more free work on his plate.  This is fairly unprecedented and should be recognized as such.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 February 2022 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Thanks, Matt. I’ve been trying to figure out how to address this—it IS disheartening—without generating another Big Bad Byrne story!

Anthony Musgrave
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2022 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Mr Byrne, it’s coming very late, but I want to say a massive THANK-YOU for ‘Elsewhen’.  I was initially disappointed to learn that it wouldn’t be published via Marvel, as A.seeing this on comic store shelves would obviously have been awesome but also B. I felt that I should be paying for work this good!  It didn’t take me long at all though to embrace the uniqueness of this project, and your ‘unrestrained’ creative vision of the X-Men.  With its page per weekday release schedule, it feels like following a newspaper strip.  (With your speed and work ethic, I always thought newspapers should have been banging at your door to ask you to do a strip!)  After 30 issues it feels like the project is still fizzing with potential, so much to learn about both the existing and the new characters you’ve introduced, and so many places it could go.  You haven’t taken the pedal off the metal yet, so I remain strapped in and enjoying the ride for however long it lasts.  In one of my very few posts on the forum so far, I described your ‘Star Trek’ work as an “'I never knew comics could be this good' gift from heaven”.  Ditto for ‘Elsewhen’….. with emphasis on “gift”!  Thanks again!

Edited by Anthony Musgrave on 06 February 2022 at 2:54pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Scott Sackett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2022 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I think X-Men is really the series where you 'made your bones', the series that 'grabbed' the fans and everyone who was there feels you left too early.

To have you back on the X-Men again, telling your stories with no editorial interference is a dream come true. And to see the pencils this time is amazing.

When I was 12, I found your art on X-Men so inspiring, I would read and re-read every issue, studying every issue.

When I was a poor art student, the only TPB I owned was The Dark Phoenix Saga. I carried a copy with me to class and later to my work everyday. I had you sign my beat-up copy at NYCC and it sits like a totem on my drawing table.

Now, I continue to find your work inspiring and I am back to studying every page and panel. But this time it's the pencils!

Please continue to tell the story we missed out on back in the '80s.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2022 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I must reiterate that these are NOT stories that were planned back in the Seventies, at least beyond the broadest strokes, like Dark Phoenix recurring. Tho even there I’m mixing up the ingredients.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2022 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm behind on Elsewhen, but slowly catching up. Having to ration myself to two pages a day. I enjoy being able to read more page in one go, which is a smoother reading experience, but the trade-off is that you miss the day-to-day commentary, which is also a nice part of the experience.

Amazing to have the FF and Doom appear in Elsewhen. Doom is like no other character. Every panel he is in seems momentous. Loved the bulk of the Thing on that Sky Bike at the end. You can really see his volume in comparison to the Torch's slim build. That consistent capturing of the variation in builds and heights between characters is one of John's many strengths as an artist.

Edited by Peter Martin on 18 February 2022 at 9:16pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 February 2022 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Now something you DON’T want to hear.

My self-imposed deadlines are crowding me a bit, so I’m going to “suspend publication” for March. ELSEWHEN will return the first Monday in April, the 4th.

Of course, I’ll be finishing posting the current issue on the usual schedule.

(And no, no, no, this does not mean I’m taking a month off. I’ll be drawing every day, just building in a slightly bigger buffer.)

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2022 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Understandable. 

“Buffers”, practically a culture in my own life. Whether it’s monetary, work, time, personal. I guess it’s the sense of safety I feel is essential. 

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version