Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 69 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.31--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2022 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ah, the one with the Superbman reprint. Thank you, Sir.
Back to Top profile | search

Christopher Cohen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2022 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If your work was 'house style' you must have been the master builder, and the rest apprentices with varying degrees of capacity;)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 July 2022 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

“House style” is a criticism many have been quick to lay at Marvel’s doorstep. When I was trying to get a foothold in the business, people said Jack Kirby was Marvel’s “house style”—this at the same time books were being turned out by Steve Ditko, John Buscema, John Romita, Don Heck and a small flock of others that scarcely looked like Kirby clones.

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2022 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I feel that was one of the later comic downfalls -
Back in the peak days of Marvel, everybody had their own style as indicated above. In the late 90's every comic had to look like it was drawn by the same person which became very boring. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2022 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Personally, with many of those folks you named, I think aping Kirby may possibly have gotten their foot in the door, but I don't think it lasted too long.

Looking at some of the Image stuff -- apparently you got hired if you could do a passable Jim Lee impersonation. I recently saw an interview with Ryan Benjamin that said everything he sent to Image was turned down until he consciously copied Lee...then he was hired.

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2022 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

In the late 90's every comic had to look like it was drawn by the same person which became very boring.
............................................................ .................................

Very boring, and very ugly! Many of the artists who, for whatever reason, imitated the style of the really hot artists of the early 90's, produced, to my eye, even more unappealing work than even the most unappealing work they were imitating. Thinking back on it, I'm guessing if there was one, the "natural style" of these artists would have been much more appealing to my eye.

Edited by Joseph Gauthier on 22 July 2022 at 4:32pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2022 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Frank mentioned an incident when he joined Marvel and someone showed him a Byrne/Austin X-men and told him that was "the house style".

For this anecdote to be true, it would mean that someone told a young Frank Miller that the "house style" at Marvel comics was not found in any of its top selling comics or magazines, but existed, uniquely, in one single title that was just selling well enough to avoid cancellation.

There's something missing from this picture.

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2022 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s--asnHjWEw

Christopher Cohen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2022 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I recall it brought up more during the early Valiant comics era, but at Marvel if Jack and you were being considered the typical style that was a win for us readers.

On another matter, I've been going back through a lot of the late eighties tradepaperbacks and note several of yours like the Man of Steel Raffle Edition are not reprints but the actual original issues bound together. Do you know what company was compiling these editions for the Big Two as the format seems identical for the editions from both companies?

Last bother now, your early nineties had so much zip/ duotone (i.e. the wonderful Namor, O.M.A.C. and Danger Unlimited), but I wonder about the health impacts. Hope it isn't causing issues now.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2022 at 11:35pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The only house style I associated with Marvel was John Romita Sr. And,
across the Avenue, Dick Giordano.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Scott Barnett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2022 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

What I loved about Marvel back then was that there was no house style- far from it. Just supremely talented artists who all had different styles.

Byrne looked nothing like Simonson, who looked nothing like Perez, who looked nothing like Miller, and on and on (and on).

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 July 2022 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

t was a win for us readers.

On another matter, I've been going back through a lot of the late eighties tradepaperbacks and note several of yours like the Man of Steel Raffle Edition are not reprints but the actual original issues bound together. Do you know what company was compiling these editions for the Big Two as the format seems identical for the editions from both companies?

•••

That was a limited promotion tied in to the MAN OF STEEL miniseries release.

<< Prev Page of 69 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version