Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: The Supreme Court Decision: Roe v Wade Struck Down Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 28 June 2022 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I've done three seasons of high school football television: 2 Seasons of QB1 (Netflix) and one for an upcoming doc on Showtime.  QB1 focused on three teams per season (so six teams altogether in my 2 seasons) and my latest project on 1.  Total of 7.  Of that 7, I can confidently say 5 began and ended in a prayer with all players and coaches on the field.  

I say this not in support of prayer in public schools and settings, but that it's going on all across the country.  And I totally get how someone could be agnostic or atheist on a HS team yet feel compelled to participate because non participation could be seen as not being "part of the team" thus hindering further advancement.  Can you prove it?  Hard to do.  But can you prove it didn't?  Also hard to do unless the decision was purely based on numbers and, even then, some may not get a chance to try.  

The Church, whatever "church" it is, is pernicious and should not be involved in the State in any form.  Period.  That's my belief. 
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2022 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

John Wickett wrote:
Thanks for posting more information.  I googled the case after seeing your original post, and the first article that popped up (New York Post) reported it differently. 

It's understandable some media may have gotten the facts wrong, since Judge Gorsuch himself inaccurately describes the facts of the case in his opinion.  Sadly, the facts do not seem to matter as much as the end policy goals to this court's majority. 

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2022 at 4:32am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Imagine one of the players saying: "Sorry Coach, I don't think I'm comfortable with this prayer thing, I'll sit this one out"

He sure is going to be commended for his stance and get even more play time in return, right?

The most disgusting kind of blackmail there is, where it's understood as "voluntary".

Must be offensive to the other team, this assumption that God is NOT on their side

There was a very funny KEY & PEELE sketch where they interview a player after losing a match and he blames the loss entirely on God.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 29 June 2022 at 4:43am

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2022 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

My quick translation of a French cartoon from Charlie Hebdo

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2022 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I've been around football teams my whole life, and there were/are kids who don't say it. Maybe they were atheists, maybe they thought it was dumb to say it, a lot of guys on the teams I played on didn't even go to church. I've never seen a coach stop during a pre-game prayer to make sure everyone was saying it. Winning the game is their priority, not indoctrinating players to go to church.

There was mention of a player earlier in the comments whose parents said that their son was worried about playing time if he didn't pray. If their child can help the team win, he'd play whether he prayed or not.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 29 June 2022 at 12:32pm

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2022 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Football ITSELF is a religion for some people.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 June 2022 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I’ve long been inclined to roll my eyes at couch potatoes who proudly and even belligerently declare “WE beat the other team!”

Nah. You sat munching cheese doodles and drinking beer while the PLAYERS did that.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2022 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Same here, even if we're rooting for the same team. "We need to trade this player." We don't have anything to do with it.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2022 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

(...) a lot of guys on the teams I played on didn't even go to church.

The horror!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 June 2022 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well, Jesus did caution against the hypocrisy of public worship!

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2022 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Speaking as a non-Christian agnostic, the general attitude of "hey, it's a free country and you don't have to participate in any of these things that are happening all around you" just adds to the overbearing, nearly stifling nature of it.

I'm reminded of the Roadside America exhibit that used to exist in the Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania (which was really amazing, btw). A massive tabletop town. Everyone was white, and all the houses of worship were churches. The lights would change over the course of 'the day' in about 15 minutes, and when 'night' would fall, 'God Bless America' would play while an American Flag was projected brightly on the rear wall, with a painting of Jesus standing steadfastly at the wheel of an old sailing ship, guiding it through the storm. It was a cool place to visit but I didn't belong in that version of our country.  And that's the country that the conservative wing of the Court is clearly carrying around in their heads.

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 29 June 2022 at 3:22pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2022 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Not quite Terror in a Tiny Town - more like "Unease in a Tiny Town".

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version