Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 30 Next >>
Topic: Trump Loses Support… (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2023 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 1  

How many of you REALLY expect Trumf to face any consequences out of this?

It honestly depends on the judge. The proof is overwhelming, so even the most average of attorneys should win this.  BUT money means he'll probably will be able to buy himself out of it.

EDIT:  Here's the indictment in case anyone is interested.  It's a PDF.

Edited by Kevin Brown on 09 June 2023 at 8:41pm
Back to Top profile | search

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2023 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 2  

Aileen Cannon is the judge. 

After her last fuck-up, how was she given this?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2023 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 3  

Some statements from Mike Pence all from the same address:
"No one is above the law."
"The handling of classified documents is a serious matter."
"I had hoped the Department of Justice would see its way clear to resolve its issues with the former President without moving forward with charges."
(Bit of a contradiction between these points)
"No one knows the facts in this case." (not even the Grand Jury?)

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2023 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 4  

Pence probably thinks he can step in and pick up the pieces.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2023 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 5  

BUT money means he'll probably will be able to buy himself out of it
And he started begging his people for it last night. For a man that professes
to be one of the richest people in the world, he sure does ask his followers
for money a lot.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 June 2023 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 6  

None of which goes to his legal fees, or his campaign, or (when lobbying in general) back to fellow Republicans.  All to him.  

As the old saying goes, a fool and his money…

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2023 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 7  

Aileen Cannon was picked randomly to oversee this case. Since she was removed by the 11th Circuit of Appeals from a prior case and shown to have bias she will have to recuse herself from further proceedings regarding the indictment. DoJ could also make a motion to have her recuse. She won’t be a problem, James.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2023 at 3:50am | IP Logged | 8  

He's going to settle.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2023 at 4:33am | IP Logged | 9  

"The proof is overwhelming, so even the most average of attorneys should win this."

Technically we haven't actually seen much proof yet, although its clear the evidence exists.  For example, in the indictment, we see photographs of boxes, but the government must prove the contents, which I assume they intend to do by offering the testimony of agents who searched them.

The reason I'm pointing this out is because I'm sure Trump's defense strategy will be to keep as much evidence as possible from being shown to the jury.  That will likely be the main challenge for prosecutors.  John Yoo seems to think the admissibility of a lot of the evidence could be challenged if Trump claims attorney-client privilege, because so much of the information in the indictment comes from Trump's lawyers.  Personally, I have serious doubts about that, because the basis of the communication between Trump and the lawyers does not appear to be conveying legal advice. But its difficult to say without having access to the entirety of their conversations. If the admissibility of key evidence ends up being questionable, then maybe we'll see some type of deal being negotiated.

Assuming Trump doesn't end up in prison, how does this impact his chances in the election?  I think its a mixed bag.

The MAGA faction of the Republican Party has bought into the narrative that Trump was selectively prosecuted for something that all ex presidents do.  They will doubtless continue to support him because they believe that prosecuting Trump was unfair.  They won't pause to consider what he actually did.

Some people who supported Trump before the indictment was unsealed will actually read the indictment and stop supporting him. Others might wait to see the outcome of the case.

Obviously, people who were already not supporting Trump will continue to not support him.

I don't know how a thinking person could read the accounts of Trump sharing classified information in private meetings (especially sharing military attack plans with a potential book writer) and believe that he has the judgment to be President.  If I were one of the other Republican candidates, that is something I would use as a talking point during the primaries.

Edited by John Wickett on 10 June 2023 at 4:35am

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2023 at 5:08am | IP Logged | 10  

JB>>Show of hands, now. How many of you REALLY expect Trumf to face any consequences out of this?<<

Expect?  No. Like many rich people he's weaseled his way out of many situations by throwing lawyers at the problem. Reality Winner (with a much cheaper legal team) stole 1 document and got years in prison. Robert Hansen (with a much cheaper legal team) just died in prison. Jeffery Epstein got *work release* after all he did.  And was angry about it.

I HOPE he will be held accountable.  It would mean the law actually means something rather than just being words.

But it's probably just words. Unless you're poor.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2023 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 11  

I think there's simply too much there for Trump to escape justice.
Please read the indictment--it's a compelling document and spells out exactly what Smith is going to work through during the trial.
Trump is a traitor.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2023 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 12  

As for settlement: does anyone believe Trump would abide by any agreement that put limits on him? That he would agree not to run for office if he wasn't incarcerated? 

I don't.

<< Prev Page of 30 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version