Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 30 Next >>
Topic: Trump Loses Support… (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2023 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 1  

If a settlement is discussed the DoJ prosecution could NEVER suggest the settlement include leaving the 2024 Presidential race. That would play directly to the crap being spouted about this being a political hit job. If the presidency is part of a settlement it will because it was suggested by the defence. 
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2023 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

“We have one set of laws in this country and they apply to everyone.”

- Justice Department special counsel Jack Smith.

Now he just has to prove it (doubtful)... and the world will be watching.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 10 June 2023 at 5:12pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2023 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 3  

The last three pages of the indictment describe the penalties for each charge.  None of them carry a mandatory prison sentence, so technically he could plead guilty to all of them and not go to jail.  If he's able to avoid jail time, then his ability to run for president would be unaffected.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2023 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 4  

"None of them carry a mandatory prison sentence"?? 

I read it too... LINK

"If Trump is ultimately tried and convicted on the 37 counts, he faces a potentially lengthy prison term. Each count of willful retention of records carries a maximum 10-year sentence. Obstruction charges each carry a 20-year maximum sentence. False-statements charges each carry a five-year maximum." (Source)

ALL should be determined by a judge & jury.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 10 June 2023 at 5:53pm

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2023 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 5  

Charles, I think you're seeing "maximum" as "mandatory". There are fines that could be levied also with or without a prison sentence. 
But you're right, judge and jury will determine any prison time.

My prediction is he gets fined on all guilty counts unless he pleads out.

edit for clarity

Edited by Doug Centers on 10 June 2023 at 6:09pm

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2023 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 6  

Doug, I see this as suggestions that the judge and jury will have to take into account if there's a conviction.... but to state "technically he could plead guilty to all of them and not go to jail" sadly minimizes the severity of the crimes.

-C!

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2023 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

"but to state "technically he could plead guilty to all of them and not go to jail" sadly minimizes the severity of the crimes."

Charles, I wasn't suggesting that he shouldn't do any time...just pointing out what could happen if they make a deal to avoid a trial.  The range of possibilities is huge.  I agree that his conduct warrants at least some jail time, but I wouldn't be shocked if there is none.  

Edited by John Wickett on 10 June 2023 at 7:13pm

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2023 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 8  

Aileen Cannon was picked randomly to oversee this case. Since she was removed by the 11th Circuit of Appeals from a prior case and shown to have bias she will have to recuse herself from further proceedings regarding the indictment. DoJ could also make a motion to have her recuse. She won’t be a problem, James.

Eric,

The ethical thing for Cannon to do is to recuse herself. On the other hand, as we all know, ethical AND Orange doG do not mix.

Call me pessimistic, but until she is out of the picture AND Trump is behind bars, he's free as a bird.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2023 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 9  

Charles, I wasn't suggesting that he shouldn't do any time...just pointing out what could happen if they make a deal to avoid a trial.  The range of possibilities is huge.  I agree that his conduct warrants at least some jail time, but I wouldn't be shocked if there is none.

John, thanks for the clarification... I wouldn't be shocked either... It'll be interesting to see how this effects the coming election. I hope people come to understand how unfit he is for office and that his cult is a serious threat to our democracy.

-C!

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2023 at 3:24am | IP Logged | 10  

I honestly do not see the DoJ settling this case or even offering a plea deal.  If it gets into court, the DoJ had 99.6% conviction percentage.

Now on the off chance the DO offer a plea deal of some sort, I'm sure jail time must be included. It all depends on just how vehemently the DoJ wants to prosecute a traitor.

Mitch Denoyer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2023 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 11  

If I’ve learned anything about Dumb Donald’s character is that he will NEVER plead guilty.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 11 June 2023 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 12  

The pessimist in me believes Trump will never plead guilty, he’ll once again escape any semblance of justice, and life will go on with his terrible hand in the proverbial cookie jar.  While that version of me wrestles with the glass-is-half-full version of myself, I can’t help but let the pessimist prevail based on decades of Trump escaping justice with but a slap on the wrist at best and a blind eye at worst.

Prove me wrong, Justice Department!

<< Prev Page of 30 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version