Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: FF 259 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2022 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"At the risk of sounding too much like the old grouch I am, I think I preferred the time when there were even dumb inconsistencies about using a naughty word like hell compared to the anything goes that gradually took over as kids as the primary readers were eventually ignored."

I agree.  I'm also irked by the apparent belief on the part of some creators (especially the people in charge of DC's animated content) that just throwing in some foul language or a sexual reference makes the content "mature."  

Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2022 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

There has been a gradual increase in swearing (by & large). There were
exceptions in the past - I still marvel that E.T. Got a U certificate in the UK,
but with the advent of the 12 certificate in the UK, things have moved quite
some way.

We did have use of the S word & one F in a 12. That one seems to have
increased to around five now.

I also do not remember such liberal use of the word in the real world as a
kid, & yet it seems any period piece is quite happy to throw it around.

It really stuck out to me in the Borg vs McEnroe film where McEnroe’s
famous ‘chalk dust’ outburst, which did not have a single F word in it, had
them added for the film.

This was an outburst that me & my friends knew word for word as we would
quote it in every single drama class, (along with one of us breaking out into
enacting a man with a chainsaw, but that’s another story).

I really could not understand why they added the swear words.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2022 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

...I'm also irked by the apparent belief on the part of some creators (especially the people in charge of DC's animated content) that just throwing in some foul language or a sexual reference makes the content "mature."  

Which only serves to come off as less mature. 

I may be another one of those old curmudgeons, but I generally don't like my superheroes swearing. "Damn", "hell", or "ass", sure, but I don't think they need to casually say "shit", or call each other dicks, or tell anyone to go fuck themselves. I'm not exactly a prude. I've said some outlandishly profane things...but also realize there's a time and place for that. I don't think superhero fare is it. 

The same goes for extreme violence. The genre is violence-based, really no escaping that. But fist fights and energy blasts are one thing. We don't need graphic, bloody stabbings and decapitations. I get it: Wolverine's gonna stab some guys. But it doesn't have to be in their necks and heads.  On camera. In great detail. It doesn't make me think, "Wow. This is so sophisticated!" No. It's just gratuitous. 

That said, the Deadpool movies made me laugh. Maybe because I didn't grow up with that character, and/or because they certainly aren't trying to be "mature" with it -- far from it. The cursing and violence is so over the top, it just can't be taken seriously, and they lean into that. 

But that's Deadpool. Not Iron Man. Not Batman. Not Spider-Man. Not Thor. Not Captain America (all of whom have said "shit" at least once in films over the last 15 years).
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 December 2022 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Reminds me of someone saying Marvel’s “mature” titles should be labeled “sophomoric”.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2022 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I can do without casual profanity in superhero comics. Heck, I'm even okay with something like "To Hades with you!" as opposed to "Go to Hell!"

Sure, it may be less "realistic," but the great Stan Lee wrote teenagers who spoke like teenagers without really talking like real teenagers.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 December 2022 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Walt Simonson, who was a real teenager when those early Marvel comics started to appear in the Sixties, has commented that he never knew any teen who talked (or dressed) as Stan and Jack portrayed them.

I found that something of a revelation. Those Marvel teens—Johnny Storm, Peter Parker, the X-Men— seeming so different from myself and my contemporaries I put down to them being Americans, and me being so totally unhip!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version