Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2024 at 2:59am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Close up
Back to Top profile | search

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2024 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

... every move I made was scrutinized under a microscope. (There were in-office complaints about a cap I had Clark wear!)

Meanwhile, Frank changed the backstories on Barbara Gordon, Alfred, Catwoman, the Joker and even Jim Gordon. Never heard a whisper of complaint.

While I sympathize, I do remember DC going to great lengths at the time to say Miller's work was not to be considered part of Batman canon or continuity, so essentially an Elseworlds' type effort. That's allowing for a lot more creative leeway than a total reboot of the company's flagship character. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 March 2024 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I referred to DKR, at the time, as the first post-CRISIS story set in the pre-CRISIS universe. I don’t recall any of the powers that were at DC ever saying DKR was anything other than the future of the “real” Batman.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2024 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I could be wrong, (wouldn't be the first time), but in particular that reasoning was used to dismiss objections to how Superman was depicted, i.e. if that is Batman's true future, then it must Superman's too (arm-ripping, government directive-subscribing), and there was no accepting that at the time. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2024 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's my self-deprecating humor to put it that way when I realized, but I have spent more time thinking about those two superhero graphic novels than the Maus ones. Apologies. I have to wear that.

I'll say this for Frank Miller's Dark Knight, if I saw something like him balanced overhead I would definitely have fear struck into me. Wonder some old ladies didn't have heart attacks, yikes!

Does shattering a gun with one hand count as a superpower? Not quite there with the comic where someone seemed to flush their gun down the toilet, but at least another example in the extreme caricature modus operandi (like Hawkeye's arrows all scrambling out of his quiver in a modern manga-ish cover... hey, maybe Scottie Young should do a version of DKR).

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 23 March 2024 at 4:06pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version