Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 5
Topic: 06.02.06 - More Endpapers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2006 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Even from Stan Lee, that would have been silly. Though I'm sure the House of Idea will get around to swiping that idea too. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2006 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Oh, wait.

I know.

Xavier was a Nazi officer (secretly a Jew who had managed to hide his heritage) who abused Magneto, his brother (although neither knew that they were brothers at that time), at Auschwitz. After WWII, Xavier, a war criminal, started his school and founded the X-Men in an attempt to bury his past.

That'll "tilt the mirror" on all those crappy old stories, right? And there can be 17 variant covers, to boot.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 03 June 2006 at 1:38pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2006 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

James Henry: Seeing these covers reminds me of something that's been bugging me for a while.  I have a distinct memory of seeing a JB cover of Classic X-Men # 16 (reprinting X-Men #109) when I was a kid, but the only cover I can find in comic stores or online is the Art Adams cover.

The cover you're remembering, James, is most likely the Alpha Flight issue that reprints (with new material) the story from X-Men #109.  JB did an "After Cockrum" version of X-Men #109's cover -- I believe it was Alpha Flight #17 or something.

I believe JB did at least one Classic X-Men cover for the issue reprinting "The Fate of the Phoenix" (unless this art was used somewhere else first):

found a copy of the cover-- awesome.  Like a DVD "alternate angle" image. 

Edited by Mark Haslett on 03 June 2006 at 1:49pm
Back to Top profile | search

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2006 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Jean in her green and gold outfit, as depicted above by JB, always got my heart pumping...Neal did a great version of her as well.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2006 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yeah, that's a great moment in X-Men # 137, when Jean shows up wearing her old outfit, wanting to end the way she began (as Marvel Girl).

James Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2006 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Thanks, Mark.  That's exactly right.  I'm not sure why I thought it was a Classic X-Men issue.  Perhaps it's because Alpha Flight #17 reprints some of X-Men #109 and came out in roughly the same time frame as the Classic series.

More to the point, I remember seeing JB's amazing art on the cover of Alpha Flight #17 and then later seeing X-Men #109 with Cockrum's cover and JB's interior art and wondering why on earth JB didn't do the original cover.

I like Cockrum's art as much as the next X-Men fan, but in my opinion, JB's art is in a completely different tier.  In any case, it's been really great to see JB's renderings of some of these other X-Men covers as end pages for these bound volumes.

Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version