Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: The Final Nail in the Coffin (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 1  

Has Doom's face ever been fully shown?

Spoiler alert

Well, in Books Of Doom #6 page 20 this was published

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

You've been warned

Back to Top profile | search

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

I can recall seeing a drawing by Jack Kirby, where he showed Doom's face, and there was just a tiny scar on his cheek - the 'disfigurement' was all in Doom's mind. Even this, though, is going too far in my view. Sometimes, it's best not to pay any attention to the man behind the curtain.

Jb did a panel with Doom and his scar (inks by Ordway, IIRC).  However this lead to him wearing the red hot mask which really burt and scarred his face, the face we should never see.  The mystery is the rub, and revealing it sucks!  I refuse to go and look at it.

Somebody asked me today what I thought about the recent Superman movie, and I went into the whole why they shouldn't age and have kids thing.  I am glad James Bond has a new movie out, because I love using him as an example of how it's done.  Who the hell wants to see James Bond get married, have kids, and grow old with me?  Not me, and the same goes for super-heroes.

Now who the hell are these fanboys who think Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, and the Flash (WTF?!?) should be aging?  And why the F*$# are they in charge?!?

I lose again!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 3  

Doom's a Vader-esque cyborg?

Wayne Osborne
Byrne Robotics Member
Manhunter

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

I once had written up a story synopsis where an American tourist in Latveria
accidentally manages to get a photo of Doom's face. He returns home and
realizes what he has once he develops his pictures. He decides to sell them
to the Bugle (this guy's a bit of a scumbag). Doom gets wind of it and sends
some Doombots to retrieve the picture and destroy the negatives. Spider-
man and the FF get involved and now that the big guns are in, Doom gets
involved as well. But once Reed finds out why Doom is after this guy, he
stops the fight and makes Johnny destroy the photo and the negatives. But I
guess it's all moot now.

WO

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 5  

That is an interesting story Wayne.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

You've been warned

(SPOILERS) I'm not sure that's supposed to 'count', since the next few pages establish that that's the Doombot from Simonson's FF #350 - the one that was able to mask it's Doombot-ness from the other Doombots. (END SPOILERS).

Wayne Osborne
Byrne Robotics Member
Manhunter

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 7  

Thanks, Michael. It'd be a whole lot better drawn by a certain artist that
hangs out around these parts.

WO

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 8  

Damn, Wayne -- I'd've paid good money to read that! Awesome story
outline! That is so cool.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 9  

I once had written up a story synopsis where an American tourist in Latveria accidentally manages to get a photo of Doom's face. He returns home and realizes what he has once he develops his pictures. He decides to sell them to the Bugle (this guy's a bit of a scumbag). Doom gets wind of it and sends some Doombots to retrieve the picture and destroy the negatives. Spider- man and the FF get involved and now that the big guns are in, Doom gets involved as well. But once Reed finds out why Doom is after this guy, he stops the fight and makes Johnny destroy the photo and the negatives. But I guess it's all moot now.

It was moot before you even got started, Wayne. Have you forgotten the scene back in the Stan and Jack days where Doom had his portrait painted in his full royal regalia? The readers didn't get to see Doom's face, or the portrait, but after that I doubted he'd worry himself a whole lot about an American tabloid running a few photos.

That unmasked Doom image above also forgets that we have seen Doom without his mask many times, and there is nothing "cyborg" about it. One gets the impression that whoever drew the piece might have read some of my own speculations on what Doom's face might look like -- the fact that he was wearing goggles when his face got blown off, for instace, so the damage around his eyes would be less than to the rest of his face (this being from before I did the small scar/later burned by the hot mask version). Also there seems to be some elements of a notion I mentioned in interviews, that because of the mystical nature of Doom's experiments, he actually has no face, it having been translated sideways into another dimension (again, except for the eyes), and the mask and what's under it is part of a system that allows him to breath and eat and necessary things like that. Again, from before I did the hot mask.

The whole point upon which any thought of revealing Doom's face turns, tho, is that whatever's under the mask is supposed to be so horrible even he cannot bear to look at it. I can't imagine any artist being able to pull off a rendering of something that bad, something that you wouldn't get used to after a while -- in the same way Ben Grimm has gotten used to (mostly) his disfigurement.

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 10  

Didn't FF #200 end with Doom being driven to near madness by the reflected image of his own visage?  That says enough right there.  Nobody should ever see his face.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wayne Osborne
Byrne Robotics Member
Manhunter

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

"Have you forgotten the scene back in the Stan and Jack days where Doom
had his portrait painted in his full royal regalia?"

Forgotten? I don't even remember that one. I'll have to look for that.
Thanks.

WO

Dave Powell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2006 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 12  

my first post.

It's obvious that the Scarlet Witch created the bust in a fit of rage over her dead alive dead nonexistent children, just before killing one of her oldest friends and lighting the Vision on fire with a bunson burner.  It was then that Doom realized that it wasn't Reed he blamed for his face but Wolverine, in his agent days.  Logan..aka James, (who we know everything about) who was sent by the US government to NYU(? correct University? Oh screw it.. there are no editors left) to stop interdimensional travel, extended his claws and mangled Victor Van Damme's...  er I mean Von Doom's face.  The repercussions of which will be felt in a solo issue of Wolverine in New Avengers.

Edited by Dave Powell on 19 November 2006 at 10:15pm

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version