Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Bullets & Bracelets - 03.23.07 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Part of the knee jerk response, in threads such as these Marc, and this point has been brought up time and time again, is that it is *incredibly* rude to start nit-picking and criticizing an original art piece that some fan has no doubt saved up hard earned money for, rather than congratulating him or her on their purchase and letting them enjoy it.  The "small head" comment, and other similar in the past strike me as inappropriate and petty.  If you wish to criticize (constructively, one would hope) John's art, Stephen, by all means, start your own thread, have a party, but dear god, can't you just let the purchaser enjoy his new artwork?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Stephen, I think the size of the head is fine, but as you say, we each call it as we see it.

For my own edification, would you mind telling me if you think being seven heads high would make her too tall, too short or just right?  I've read in human figure drawing texts that the perfect human body should be eight heads high.  Stan Lee and John Buscema (who have some qualifications as it relates to the discussion of heroic comic book proportions) say in How To Draw Comics the Marvel Way that average people are about six and a half heads high, while heroic men and women are around eight and three quarters heads tall.

I just happened to have Photoshop open, sooo...

Starting with Wonder Woman's head and ending at her right foot (which is farther away from us than her torso) gives us seven and a half heads.  If we start at her head and go down the left leg (which is a little closer to the viewer), we come out at a little over eight heads.

You'll note that I made the quarter head adjustment for the neck, but did not reduce the size of her head (as I should have) to take into account the extra length caused by the open mouth and distended jaw.  This would have resulted in a slightly smaller oval. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Why dont  we just leave it at YOU disagree with me?"

If you just show me what is "big" (which I interpret to mean "disproportionate") then I will agree with you. JB's a human being, not a machine. Even machines make mistakes.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That's interesting, Wallace. 

Jonathan Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 10:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Maybe her head looks smaller when she isn't drawn with tits that touch the next zip code?  Either way, this is my favorite of JB's Wonder Woman commisions thus far.  She looks fit, rather than spilling flesh out of her uniform as is the norm of late.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Disclaimer: I purposely draw most of my cartoony characters with big heads. 

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Trevor's right on the money up there.

Somebody is getting a drawing by thier favorite artist, spending hard earned cash, and Stephen Sadowski poops on it a bit, forever having the invisible caption "defective according to Stephen Sadowski" underneath it upon the owner's mantle.

Do you understand, Stephen Sadowski, why we flinch at thee?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 11:30pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Marc it's not about having the balls to challenge JB on this drawing. It is about being supportive and courtious of a fan who paid good money to have this piece in his/her collection. You're upset the chat room is closed, I miss it too. You don't like this commission, that's your right. But Wallace's photoshop explaination makes it look like you are more bitter than honest with your support of Stephen's observation.

Edited by Paul Greer on 23 March 2007 at 11:31pm
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Sadowski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2007 at 12:38am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Hey guys, its all good..I'm sure the commissioner is/will be extremely happy with his/her purchase. Good grief , commenting on the drawing does not mean I am  'pooping" on it. I am just ONE persons opinion.Share it with me, or don't.
 Joe, I dont need or want you or anyone  to agree or disagree with me..just my observation.
 I'd be curious to see what the  drawing would look like if the head was reduced by..oh..about 10% If I had mad photoshop skills, and  could figure out how to post around here, I would  do it to illustrate.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 24 March 2007 at 2:13am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Marc Baptiste wrote:
Stephen, opinions are allowed here if you have a set of you-know-whats.  However, just remember, you will ALWAYS come under some sort of knee-jerk reactionary passive-aggressive attack from the "amen corner" of the JBF.  Remember this is a message board who's chat room was shut down out of fear of non-big brother approved opinions being voiced.

Could you be any more passive/aggressive, Marc?  Seriously. You call others out for doing exactly what you're doing in this very thread. What the hell is "a set of you-know-whats"?  Balls?  Conviction to stand behind your opinion?  If that's so, you're damn right.  If not, explain yourself. 

The chat room was not shut down for that reason.  At all.  Ever.  Try to paint it that way all you want, but it was shut down because people were copying/saving/pasting conversations from the chat into other threads and on other boards, effectively taking people's conversations out-of-context and using them for their own agenda.  It had nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with "non-big brother approved opinions being voiced" whatever the hell that means.  I know you were upset about being called out and asked not to be so forward in chat, so you may have a problem with the entire concept in general, but don't go slinging mud where there's none to be slung just to get a slam in.

Hey, got an idea for you.  If you hate it here so much and feel oppressed by "big brother" leave and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.  I'd much prefer that than lobbing passive/aggressive slams against the forum that have no merit.

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2007 at 2:28am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Uh, Google Cache says otherwise:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:kLNOLFDZHWkJ:www.byrner obotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp%3FTID%3D16196%26PN%3D1%26t otPosts%3D163+%22chat+room%22+site:byrnerobotics.com&hl= en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us

Specifically:

Since I can control neither these postings nor (more importantly) the content of the chats, I have elected to shut down the Chat Room.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 24 March 2007 at 2:34am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Uh, no. You're wrong. Not the reason at all, Jason. It'd be nice if you quoted more than just what you wanted to quote to support your grudge against his site.  "Since I control neither these postings" in context and relating to why the chat was actually shut down, contrary to your abbreviated quote pull from above, it was to do with copy/cutting/saving/pasting conversations into threads here and elsewhere. Evidence?  One need only look to the first line of what JB posted in the thread you link to:

"It has come to my attention that some of the sadder of the sad boys have been posting transcripts of this site's Chat Room to other sites, without authorization."

Might want to put everything in context first, Jason, before calling me out for being wrong....

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version