Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: An Experiment - 05.12.07 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 May 2007 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If you decide on a price please let me know.

The pricing structure on the commission pieces evolved out of what I was offered to do the first one. (Yes, if you can't afford a commission, blame Wayne Osborn!) So I'll probably see what this sells for, when I eventually offer it, and figure out a scale based on that. As you can imagine, I am sure, a page like this is quite a bit more work intensive than a regular 11x17 commission. Or, for that matter, a regular comic page.

(Which MTU 59 page, btw?)

Back to Top profile | search

Derek Muthart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2007 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Sounds good.  I'll stay tuned.

Jeff Kraschinski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2007 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
As long as we're here -- a brief art lesson. Note the bad cropping on this page. Why cut off Cyclops' foot and toes in panel four? Why chop Jean's toes in panel five? Cyle's foot again, in panel six. For that matter, why not pull back a bit and show Peter's foot in the first panel?

(Note, too, that Chris placed a balloon over Jean's foot in panel six, and tho Orz did his best to work around it, Terry still had to crimp her toes to make it fit.)

I wouldn't call it bad cropping per se. Rather it kind of comes off as more of a "documentary camera work" sort of thing.

I'm remembering some comments made by George Lucas in the Star Wars Episode One commentary track (everyone's favourite) when Anakin and Qui-Gon have their little midichlorian discussion on Coruscant just before leaving the planet and George specifically mentions intentionally framing the shot where they're going up the ramp into the ship off center, cutting Jar Jar partially off at the right side of frame on purpose to make it look as if the camera hadn't been set up specifically to make everything look perfect but just happened to be there and captured an extemporaneous moment somewhat unprepared.

Perhaps when doing the original piece, you were subconsciously framing the art the same way.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 May 2007 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Perhaps when doing the original piece, you were subconsciously framing the art the same way.

Nah, I just cropped 'em badly!

Larry Bonds
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2007 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Maybe you should send this page to Brett Ratner, the director of X3: The Last Stand. THIS is how the movie should have ended!!!

To quote Charlie Brown:"ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!"
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2007 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If this wasn't commissioned, any particular reason you chose this page for your experiment?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 May 2007 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If this wasn't commissioned, any particular reason you chose this page for your experiment?

I had one of the ESSENTIAL volumes lying on the table beside my drawingboard. When I thought about doing this, and flipped thru the book, this was the page that caught my eye.

Keith Champagne
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2007 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

JB, was this page FUN for you to recreate? I'd imagine forcing yourself to draw the way you did twenty (?) years ago would be an equally frustrating and interesting experiment.

I like this page, hope it opens up a new market in commissions for you. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 May 2007 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Permit me to wax nostalgic for a moment.

I was just shy of my thirteenth birthday when I "met" Jean Grey for the first time, in X-MEN 1. Of course I fell immediately in love with her -- redhead -- and I was instantly swept into the world of the X-Men. Back then, I had not even contemplated a career as a professional cartoonist. I could attach names to some of the artists whose work I admired, but for the most part it seemed like these things sprang fully grown from Zeus' head. That people actually created them, and that I might some day be one of those people, had not come together yet in my tiny mind.

Cut to seventeen years -- more than a lifetime! -- later, and not only am I working on UNCANNY X-MEN, but I'm collaborating on what many would come to think of as one of the most important, most seminal stories done in the form up to that time -- and perhaps even since.

And, like that kid buying X-MEN 1, who had no idea of his future, we had no idea how significant that story we did 136 issues later would be, either. In fact, as many of you know, it wasn't even the story we wanted to do!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 May 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'd imagine forcing yourself to draw the way you did twenty (?) years ago would be an equally frustrating and interesting experiment.

Thanks for the "twenty", Keith -- but it's closer to thirty!! >groan<

And, yes, fun and frustration combine in about equal parts. In fact, a part of me wants to now sit down and do the same page again, but this time as if I was the inker, and had been told to fix everything that's wrong with it. (Minus the lettering this time, mind you!!)

Jeff Kraschinski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2007 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

John Byrne wrote:

Nah, I just cropped 'em badly!

John, John, John, here I serve up a perfectly good explanation you could use to cover a lapse of greatness and you don't take advantage of it. :)

Rob Schneider would probably say "Subconsciously? Yeah yeah, that's the ticket! Yeah, I MEANT to do it that way..."

Edited by Jeff Kraschinski on 12 May 2007 at 8:24am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 May 2007 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It's that ol' Protestant Work Ethic, Jeff. Now, where I got that from I will never know!!

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version