Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: To All Board Members with Children (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 1  

I'm lost here.  Are you saying that anyone involved with comics production and sales should be suspected of being a pedophile, unless they are a writer, artist or editor? 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 2  

Ryan - I had the same exact question after reading that.

Mike Purdy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 3  

I do get a sense of genuine concern from Lars but its a weird presentation.  Lars, are you okay?

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 4  

I hope this is a problem with Lars' English translation, because otherwise it is just a bunch of incomprehensible nonsense. 

Martin Kogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 5  

I prefer to follow the advice of actual experts on the subject.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 6  

Wait... there are children going to comic book shops and conventions? When did THAT start happening again?
Back to Top profile | search

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 7  

If 4415 posts on a comic book message board doesn't qualify one as a pedophilia expert, I'm afraid to know what does.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 8  

Comic book "camps" and meetings outside normal conventions.

OK, I'm assuming here you mean a pedophile will use comic books to lure children into their special 'camp'.  This part kind of makes sense.  The rest is gibberish.  Completionists are pedophiles?

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 9  

Just use common sense. I think adults to watch out for are those who always find excuses to "accidentaly" rub or touch children. Adults who often "accidentaly" walk in on kids while they are in the bathroom or tend to "just happen" to walk in on kids changing clothes all the time, small stuff like that.

I don't like people who are quick to ridicule others anytime child abuse is brought up either. Those would be very likely, if guilty, to attempt to make the child feel like a fool for complaining.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 13 August 2009 at 10:13am

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 10  

I would like to know the origin of Lar's thinking and what's the final message of all that.

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 11  

So I tried to wade through the language and found something like this:

Beware that in comics community situations where you find a lot of kids hanging out, such as conventions or at comics stores (new or second hand), kids can often be vulnerable to the attentions of pedophiles.

These pedophiles will often try to insert themselves into groups of kids they find attractive and try to seem cool, friendly and knowledgable in the hobby.

They will often try to invite kids into private settings, to show them rare comics or "discuss" comics, essentially luring them away from the central and public comics related meeting place. They will try to engage kids in "games" involving physical contact or conversations relating to the physical attractiveness of comics characters.

They will try to appear knowledgable or opinionated on comics, but will focus unduly on things most other comics collectors would consider irrelevant or meaningless and prefer inserting themselves into stories and discussing that instead "If I were the Hulk ..." They're faking it and sooner or later it might show.

When discussing expensive or unobtainable comics with kids, instead of urging moderation in spending etc. the pedophile will often encourage a lot of spending on comic and "need" for high price items. He will then offer such unobtainable items as "payment" for "services". 

Now, I think we all know that there are a lot of maladjusted people in the hobby with a skewed sense of boundaries and poor social skills, but I'm not sure you'll find that many pedophiles there. At least not the predatory ones, the "hunters".  Some sad, disturbed individuals who "relieve their tension" with the aid of Lolicon, probably.  

I know several people into comics collecting who would meet Lars' criteria but I would not be as quick as he seems to be to label them pedophiles.

That being said, If someone acts really weird and makes you uncomfortable, even if it's just because they're painfully shy or socially awkward, it's probably wise not to be alone with them in any case. Not necessarily on the presumption that they're a threat, but because the awkwardness of the situation might cause unnecessary insults or misunderstandings.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 12  

Are you saying that anyone involved with comics production and sales should be suspected of being a pedophile, unless they are a writer, artist or editor?

I say that they even can be part of the industry at the "bottom" all the way up to about halfway to the top. Their primary interest is being or hanging "around", so dedicated productive people should not be suspected according to my definition.

...Lars but its a weird presentation.  Lars, are you okay?

Thanks for asking, I'm pretty much OK, but again, the presentation is not important.

I prefer to follow the advice of actual experts on the subject.

Please do. It is exact enough, representing what I have seen, so you can print out the list and show it to your local expert, psychologist, minister or somoene you trust. Nothing is true for you on the list unless you check, talk, discuss, think and make up your own opinion.

Completionists are pedophiles?

What I wrote was mostly about how normal people tend to talk about collecting, so you could exclude them. We are probably more completionists in reality, since we are more into actual comics and can go back in "history" and talk about origins without getting upset, but we talk in a milder tone so it appears like we are sloppier and care less about comics than the madman.

Just use common sense. I think adults to watch out for are those who always find excuses to "accidentaly" rub or touch children.

I disagree. I have been touched by a gay teacher and a female friend was cornered by a straight teacher. Both those people stopped what they were doing and should in my opinion be excused. A person planning a camp months in advance should not and possesses a completely different pesonality and what I try to say is watch out for those instead.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version