Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: No More Interviews Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 February 2011 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As the thread title indicates, I have decided to give no more interviews.

Why bother? I have this Forum, where anyone who wants can ask me direct questions about just about anything under the Sun, and where I can spontaneously post my opinions whenever the mood strikes.

Back to Top profile | search

Dennis Maloney
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2011 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

As you said JB here on the form we can ask you about everything, whereas in an interview about comics you've probably heard them all concerning the characters you've worked on.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2011 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Well, you just gave Rich Johnston his next "headline" on his site.

And I do not blame you, JB.  Interviews tend to be "edited" in a heavy handed way.  At least this way you know what you say is exactly what you mean.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2011 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB -

To that end, I was just thinking the other day that IDW should include in your comics the URL of this site. Tho well known, I'm sure there are a few people who pick up your comics who aren't aware of ByrneRobotics.com.

It would be a nice way of cross-promoting.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sergio Aledo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The "interview thing" is a personal decision, so I can only respect it and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

About the forum I've got to say that it's far beyond my imagination having the posibility of answering, talking amd respond with/to my favourite comic creator. And you make it possible, so thank you very much for that.

I'm very susprised of having never readed something like... "What John Byrne does in his web site and forum is a revolution in the contact and relationship with fans and readers in general. He is always accesible, friendly and helpful and as nice as honestity let anyone be, and that last thing is what makes the JB forum real and valuable"  

**one more time: sorry for my english.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 February 2011 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm very susprised of having never readed something like... "What John Byrne does in his web site and forum is a revolution in the contact and relationship with fans and readers in general. He is always accesible, friendly and helpful and as nice as honestity let anyone be, and that last thing is what makes the JB forum real and valuable"

••

That would be a GOOD Byrne story, Sergio -- and where's the FUN in that?

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2011 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
Why bother? I have this Forum, where anyone who wants can ask me direct questions about just about anything under the Sun, and where I can spontaneously post my opinions whenever the mood strikes.

To appeal to readers who might not be regulars at this forum.

A reader may be a regular reader of CBR and see an interview regarding Next Men or some other project that piques his interest and asks his retailer to order him a copy.

Had that interview not been on CBR, it's a reader you may not have reached. Or in other words, it's free advertising in avenues other than this forum.

Sergio Aledo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2011 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

That would be a GOOD Byrne story, Sergio -- and where's the FUN in that?

--

Oooh! ha, ha, ha. "Touché", but you've got already a lot of people "talking" about you, for having fun. Isn't it true? I was just demanding one article, one time...

Holy cow! you cannot deny me that... JUSTICE!

He, he, he, he

Edited by Sergio Aledo on 14 February 2011 at 11:59am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 February 2011 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

++

To appeal to readers who might not be regulars at this forum. (snip) …it's free advertising in avenues other than this forum.

••

Not to people who have to BUY the magazine.

Anybody who wants to can read this Forum free. They can sign up free. They can correspond with me here, free.

How is buying some fanzine that asks only the questions THAT interviewer wants to ask better?

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2011 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"No more interviews" is just a logical extension of JB having already said that this forum is the only place where he can be found.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2011 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I had a conversation with someone the other day, a non-'member', who was feeling sorry for JB.
No Big-Two work, blah-blah.

I told him I'd just today collected Jurassic #2, NextMen #3, and the Namor TPB. Scads of Angel, Trek stuff last year.

I told him what a priceless resource JB is, and how amazing it is that I could ask a (hopefully) intelligent question and get an answer that might as well be from the guy across the room in a bullpen setting.

This 'site is the greatest thing on the web.

We should party.

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

QUOTE:

Not to people who have to BUY the magazine.

Anybody who wants to can read this Forum free. They can sign up free. They can correspond with me here, free.

How is buying some fanzine that asks only the questions THAT interviewer wants to ask better?

Well, CBR is free, but it goes to magazines too.

The purpose of reaching out to readers of other sites and magazines is to find casual readers who might be interested in reading your book but aren't dedicated enough to follow you online as your most devoted fans.

For example, I like and enjoy Mike Allred's work, but wouldn't bother to follow him online -- the work is enough. While this forum is very popular, I imagine it still only represents a small percentage of the readers who have purchased your work in the past.

As a sizeable portion of comic stores are reluctant to order and promote independent books, it's up to creators to generate buzz and "word of mouth" among the existing readership if they want a book that doesn't feature a Marvel or DC property to do well.

A number of fans might be willing and interested in pursuing your work when they know about it, but if both their shops and the comic book news media doesn't report on it, they may be left unaware that a product they would be happy to purchase even exists.

I'm sure we've all experienced this in some way -- an actor we like is promoting an independent movie on the late night talk shows and we go see it because of that appearance making us aware. A new album just came out from a band that we like who only enjoys moderate popularity and we didn't even hear about it until we flipped through the newest issue of Rolling Stone.

Playing the promotion game tends to run this way -- it's why celebrities tend to do a number of talk shows when promoting a project. Each show they go on may only have a couple million viewers, but when you add up those viewers, they've reached 10 to 20 million people when all's said and done... something that they likely couldn't do if they only posted to their website about the new project.

In any case, just something to consider. I wish you luck in your endeavors.

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version