Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Occupy Frank Miller (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 3:03am | IP Logged | 1  

This is one of the major downfalls for the internet I think. Should I care what Frank Miller's political views are? Should I care? Should it affect me buying his work? If you see the first response on his post it is of a guy that is never going to buy his stuff again and going to Ebay to dump all his old stuff and more...

I remember getting a comic and having NO idea who made it besides the words and images on the page. I remember reading the What If where the Bullpen became the Fantastic Four like I was seeing behind the curtain for a moment. I didn't care what jeans Liefield wore, I didn't care how much McFarlane spent on a baseball and I don't care what Frank Miller thinks of Occupy.

He has every right to say what he says, I just wish that the internet didn't make it so easy to be listed as news on the front page of Yahoo news.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eddie Avila
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 3:12am | IP Logged | 2  

Well, James, that's how the free market is supposed to work.  We vote with our dollars.
Back to Top profile | search

James Revilla
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 3:19am | IP Logged | 3  

Yes but should his political views affect the way you see his work? Is Dark Knight any worse than it was before he said it? Should his personal views really even matter to us? So he has a point of view, I am a writer and I would hope no one would give a damn what my political inclinations are if they liked my writing. I just think in a 24 hour news cycle, this is going to be a much bigger story than it needs to be.

Eddie Avila
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 3:40am | IP Logged | 4  

I still like his work that was good.  But, let's face it, Holy Terror! sucked, nothing to do with his politics.

I write, too, and my writing is fully informed with my politics.  I like it that way because that's where my interests are.  If your writing is good (to me) then I would like it.  But if I found myself profoundly disliking you, I wouldn't support you or your work.  I don't see what you find problematic here.  Do you have a problem with freedom of choice?

I'm not saying that one's political philosophy makes them a better artist, nor a worser one.  Even if Miller fully embraced my point of view, Holy Terror! would still suck.  And even if it was the best thing ever I still would regret buying it, in light of the fact that I would be supporting a douche bag.  I mean, his rant is way, way over the top and offensive to me in an almost primal way.

I like Domino's Pizza.  I no longer buy them because of their politics.  But I've learned to make something approximating it in my own oven because I am a slave to thin-crust pizza.

Have you never heard of a boycott?  Do you think all economic embargoes are wrong?  The sanctions against Iraq in the past, or Iran in the future--all misguided in your opinion?

James Revilla
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 4:06am | IP Logged | 5  

Yes that is exactly what I meant by a comic book writer making his political views isn't news and remembering a time when his views wouldn't have been so easily accessible to the general populace. I meant that sanctions against Iraq were misguided. Congratulations on figuring my code out.

Brandon Scott Berthelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 6  

"You don't like the way this country is run VOTE..."

Excellent idea! I had no idea the solution was so
simple. Oh, but what happens if you get to the polls and
they turn you away because you're Black, or Poor, or
(gasp) a Democrat(!)?

What if the party in control doesn't like the outcome of
the election and they convenietly find a whole bunch of
paper ballots at the last minute that put their candidate
over the top, or the electronic voting results
mysteriously and suddenly change, or the Supreme Court
steps in and declares their guy the winner?

Not that such crazy things could ever happen in a free
country like ours...just a "What If..."

Exactly, or even more common you vote for someone, and
then corporate money comes in and convinces the
politician to do the opposite of everything you elected
him to do *cough, Obama*. But at least next election
they have a ton of money to convince the less informed
that they are doing the job they were elected to do.

That's one of the primary protests of OWS, money
controlling politics.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 7  

Lemme chime in - if you find someone's work that you once admired now suddenly repugnant - why run off to eBay and fob it off on someone else?  I'd find more conviction in someone who took it out back and burned it.

I had a friend who became Born Again and had to get rid of all her "evil" rock and roll CDs (Poison is evil?).  Did she destroy all this evil?  Nope.  Took them to a pawn shop, made $75.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 8  

Steve O. wrote:
We have a bunch of people in our society that expect something for nothing always with a hand out.

Is this really what the OWS is asking for? Why always with the sweeping generalizations?

As for getting something for nothing, here's an interesting piece.

“I am now going to bombard you with figures. I'm sorry about that, but these numbers need to be tattooed on our minds. Between 1947 and 1979, productivity in the US rose by 119%, while the income of the bottom fifth of the population rose by 122%. But from 1979 to 2009, productivity rose by 80%, while the income of the bottom fifth fell by 4%. In roughly the same period, the income of the top 1% rose by 270%.”

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 14 November 2011 at 7:43am

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 9  

My 2 yen, and that's all I'll be saying on this subject since I'm so adverse to discussing politics over the Internet in these days and times...

I'm of the impression that Frank Miller just doesn't care what people think of what he's putting up on his blogs.  He has a forum where he can voice his opinions, hard as it is for others to take them.  You have a forum where you can post your responses.  Try thinking of places where expressing that opinion ends up with you being jailed or worse.

I don't think the United States is there at the present time, unless there's a place or two where the dominant faction is so filled with rage and bigotry (of which, I'm sure there are a few), that they act on these impulses to carry out such actions against someone who rubs them the wrong way.  The Right isn't immune from having its share of extremists, but I haven't seen many cases in this day and age, when the majority are usually taken into custody, put on trial, and sentenced within a reasonable amount of time when they get caught.  I think the Left seems to just let theirs go with a nod and a wink, as though they still live in a day when they could just excuse such behavior as something like youthful exhuberance.

I don't care what side of the aisle you're on.  When you step beyond blog ranting and holding up a placard across the street from a business or government office stating your grieviance against said people, you get arrested and put in a cell for a time.  It's at times like this when I get reminded just how short of a jump we may have to make before all this stupid rhetoric turns into an ugly, violent civil war...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 10  

I'm of the impression that Frank Miller just doesn't care what people think of what he's putting up on his blogs. He has a forum where he can voice his opinions, hard as it is for others to take them. You have a forum where you can post your responses. Try thinking of places where expressing that opinion ends up with you being jailed or worse.

••

Over the years, Frank has had what I consider a bad habit of referring to editorial policy with which he disagrees as "censorship". This is an odd mistake for someone usually so careful about the precise use of words. But editorial policy is merely that -- editorial policy. Only the Government can censor, and if you find yourself being censored, your options are extremely limited. If the publishing company you're working for, on the other hand, makes a policy statement that leads to the rejection of some story you have submitted, that's all it is -- rejection of a story. You're still free to take that story anywhere else, modify it in any way you please, publish it in in any form. All you are denied is the use of the characters the Publisher owns -- and that's a far cry from censorship.

Which is a roundabout way of saying Frank's protests here are in much the same vein. He does not have the power to suppress the Occupy groups. All he can do is reject, personally, what they stand for -- and complain about it, of course. One of the joys of living in a free country is that we get to complain about whatever we like. (People used to say "At least Mussolini made the trains run on time!" to which the answer, most often, was "No he didn't. He made it illegal to complain when they didn't!")

If you don't like what Frank has to say, feel free to complain about it. He's complaining about what he doesn't like. The Occupy "movement" is complaining about what it doesn't like.

Enjoy!

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 11  

^Well said, as always, Chief.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2011 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 12  

“The police in their own way are symbols of the problem. All over the country, thousands of armed cops have been deployed to stand around and surveil and even assault the polite crowds of Occupy protesters. This deployment of law-enforcement resources already dwarfs the amount of money and manpower that the government "committed" to fighting crime and corruption during the financial crisis. One OWS protester steps in the wrong place, and she immediately has police roping her off like wayward cattle. But in the skyscrapers above the protests, anything goes.”

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-i-stopped-worr ying-and-learned-to-love-the-ows-protests-20111110

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version