Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Comic Land - what was on sale 64 years ago? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

I see a lot of covers that make me want to pick up the comics to read. Fun stuff!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Tessie the Typist" must have had a lot of adventures!  Damn, there goes my "Angie the Admin" idea.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

If nothing else, this thread is a great test for forum
performance and image loading speeds.

edit for typo

Edited by Trevor Smith on 30 May 2012 at 4:43am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 4  

Great ! 

Now somebody please put some colors to the picture just to see how it looked back then !

Back to Top profile | search

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 5  

I was thinking the same thing Imagine the wall of colour that comic book rack must have been. 

Also ran through the price on the Bank of Canada Inflation calculator. 10 cents in 1948 is the same as $1.06 today. Wouldn't that be expensive even for kids? The average allowance today is $12.00, which translates to $1.13 in 1948. If a kid blew his entire allowance on comics, he could get 11 a week but I imagine candy and pop would take a cut out of it. 

Of course these are just rough numbers and I imagine that swapping and trading happened on a massive scale. Man, I really want to read some of those comics. They all look so interesting. And the girls on the covers are fantastic. How I imagine every woman looked in 1948. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Larry Lawrence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 6  

The "Classics Comics" covers can be guessed at they used line drawn covers (as opposed to the later painted art). I spotted Deerstalker, so that one can be recovered and included.

It would be nifty to do a clickable version of the original photo, so you could pick a cover to see it jump out.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 7  

Asgard Press put out 2 calendars featuring vintage DC (and Fawcett) covers... sadly only for 2009 and 2010, I believe.  I'd really love to own calendar wall-size repros of some of the covers featured on the previous page!

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2012 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 8  

Some really cool covers there! I'd love to read those Marvel ones (or whatever they were at the time).

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 9  

The most important thing to keep in mind about that photograph -- and the reason I post it myself from time to time -- is that there was nothing extraordinary about that comic rack. It was not located in a specialty shop -- probably it was on the back wall of some drugstore, alongside the other magazines. It might have been a larger newsstand. It could even have been in the magazine department of a department store.

In other words, that kid could have walked in off the street -- basically, Anystreet, USA -- and found that wall of comics waiting for him. That's precisely what happened to me, in fact, the first time I walked into Eatons department store, on Jasper Avenue, in Edmonton, Canada, when I was eight years old. And a couple of blocks down the street from Eatons was the Mike's magazine and book, which had a similarly huge rack of comics. Across the street from the apartment complex where my parents and I lived was a big shopping center, where I could buy comics from a rack on the end of one of the aisles in Woodward's grocery store, or walk to the other end of the mall and find a big display of comics in the United Cigar Store. Or any drugstore, where there would be, at the very least, a spinner rack. As there was at the bus depot, the airport, the train station.

It's a point that really cannot be belabored: kids-- the target audience -- did not have to search out a "comic book shop" to find the product. They were everywhere. Even the local barber shop had a big stack of comics for kid customers to read.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 10  

"Tessie the Typist" must have had a lot of adventures!

••

LINK

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 5:22am | IP Logged | 11  

Nice gams!

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 30 May 2012 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 12