Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: But He Doesn’t LOOK Like Danny Kaye - 06.10.12 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 June 2012 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Blue and red look great! -still don't like the yellow...-

••

Not a lot of choices. I tried white, but it looked odd, somehow. Not sure why, but it made me think he was some kind of European superhero. Captain Britain/Union Jack stuck in my head, maybe.

Back to Top profile | search

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2012 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yes, it was hard for me to find a color scheme (that I liked) and that could work with so many elements.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 12 June 2012 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Color schemes in comic books are a funny thing; things that shouldn't work often do, and things that should work often don't.  Purple and green should clash horribly, and yet a I find them to be a pleasing combination in comics.  Red and green, which have a history together, is a horrible eyesore.  

Edited by Thom Price on 12 June 2012 at 9:51am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 June 2012 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There used to be a fairly simple rule of thumb for comicbook colors. Good guys wore primaries, bad guys wore secondaries, and civilians wore tertiaries.

Of course, this rule was being ignored almost as it was being created! Green Lantern, anyone?

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2012 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I was fascinated by the obvious use of this rule in Marvel ... Until I met Hulk.

Garry Porter II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2012 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Also i want to chat on something that has been on my mind for awhile now:

I remember Mr. Byrne commenting on this thread about how Count Nefaria, (the "Super" Nefaria), at the time, was considered the Silver Age Superman of Marvel.

I thought that Gladiator and to some extent Wonder Man were considered to be Silver Age or Modern Age "Superman" at the time.

That statement in the first page of the thread about Nefaria intrigued me since I at first, considered Gladiator to be the Silver Age Superman equivalent for Marvel. I thought this because of how, during the Silver Age, when Superman began to be so proud of his Kryptonian heritage, or at the very least, somewhat  brooding on Earth over Krypton or being a little nostalgic of Krypton.

Then, you have Gladiator for Marvel (I mean the Gladiator from the X-Men and Fantastic Four).  He, in a similar way, is proud of his planet and people(but his planet is not destroyed for example.  To me a nice Marvel "bit").  So, I thought Gladiator was the next logical step in terms of the "Marvel Way" of interpreting Superman.  Plus, Gladiator is on Silver Age Superman's power level.

Conversely, I used to also see Wonder Man as Stan Lee's attempt at an unofficial Silver Age Superman too.  But, that idea was kind of laid low because of other creators' versions of Wonder Man after Stan Lee over the years.

The closest version of a Marvel "Superman" for Wonder Man came, for me, in the Avengers West Coast series that JB drew, and the Avengers issues that JB wrote.  But, this "Superman" version of Wonder Man, if such was the intent(and more than likely it was not the intent) , actually felt more like a "Marvel version post-crisis, JB Man Of Steel" Wonder Man for example......  But, I liked that. 

Just my opinion on (FF and X-Men''s) Gladiator and Wonder Man folks.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 June 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I remember Mr. Byrne commenting on this thread about how Count Nefaria, (the "Super" Nefaria), at the time, was considered the Silver Age Superman of Marvel.

••

No -- I said Shooter wanted him to be the same power level as the Silver Age Superman.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2012 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I never saw a Wonder Man as Marvel's attempt at an unofficial Silver Age Superman... his personality was that of the insecure strongman; always doubting his worth and looking for his way to hold his on the team. That was especially seen during the Count Nefaria issues. I thought it made him a interesting character and i liked how JB expanded on his personality on AVENGERS WEST COAST with his connection to the Vision and Scarlett Witch.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 June 2012 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

… i liked how JB expanded on his personality on AVENGERS WEST COAST with his connection to the Vision and Scarlett Witch.

••

That felt to me very much like some old time Marvel serendipity. All the pieces were already there. I just had to gather them together.

Glad you liked it!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 June 2012 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Andy Mokler - please repost your Wonder Man image with your take on the new emblem.  I misread the thread and accidentally deleted your image.

My apologies for the error!

Tim

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2012 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Here's an attempt at a redesign (I could really use that free membership!).  I made the letters different colors (black and yellow), placed the W essentially on top of the M and brought the lines of the M straight down into his belt instead of wrapping around the sides.  I think I like the W being more prominent like that. 

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2012 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Andy Mokler - please repost your Wonder Man image with your take on the new emblem.  I misread the thread and accidentally deleted your image.

No problem, I was actually wondering what it was that I might have done wrong.  :)

I, too, went with a more prominent "W".  After trying numerous different variations on the original, I found that pretty much all of them wound up making him look like diamond man more than anything else.  That blue space in the middle of his chest just seemed to dominate and overpower the "W" and "M" whether I went vertical, diagonal, horizontal or some combination of them all.

Also, with my design I purposely wanted the "M" to be smaller and secondary.  Wanted more emphasis on the "Wonder" and less on the "man".  Also, I like over the shoulder costumes so the top of the "W" serves that purpose too.

Edited by Andy Mokler on 12 June 2012 at 8:49pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version