Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Lost & Found - 09.09.12 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB: "Flipping thru the LOST GENERATION issues, looking up reference on these guys -- after all, twelve years since I last drew 'em!! -- I was once again appalled by the shoddy production values Marvel dumped on this series. Especially the coloring/separations, where characters would not keep the same hues sometimes from page to page!

There's an old saying that one should never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence, but this was a series that seemed tho have WAY too much go wrong with it for it to be entirely accidental!"

I just wish they would release this series as an ESSENTIAL B&W collection - it would be good to see the art without the coloring errors. 

And I think the B&W would suit the setting/time period of the book.  Seeing the characters above in this format certainly shows it would look great in B&W.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

QUOTE:
I just wish they would release this series as an ESSENTIAL B&W collection

I'd rather see it collected in a classics format like Alpha Flight Classics.  I don't know why, but I just don't like reading black & white comics, even as a kid I didn't like reading those black & white Marvel magazines like 'Dracula Lives'.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The whole thing looks great, but the Black Fox and Flatiron are especially
well done!

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Oxbow was my favorite character in the series, so seeing him again after so long is a real treat!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Moorhead
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's been a looooooooooong time since I've been here (been away for the best of reasons :) ) but I had to come back to say Thanks JB!

I loved Lost Generation and thought that the First Line got the shaft.  Would have loved to see them continue on in their own series.  Being able to jump back and forth to different eras seemed like a great way to build the teams mythology.

I think Oxbow and Flatiron are my favorites here.  I agree with Carmen on the JRJR vibe to Flatiron's inks.  It's got the same look, that I really like, that you've been using in the last few years on Doctor Doom's armor and I think it works really well here.  Oxbow's my favorite, though, but that's mostly because he had my favorite design in the First Line.  Plus I love the chunkiness to the Mandarin's boots.

thanks again JB!

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Major round of applause to you JB for making that Mandarin outfit look
cool. It was always my least favorite, but here it looks awesome. The
commissioner is getting a great piece.

BTW, the textured highlights on Flatiron are amazing!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Here's a little story I have told before, but not all of you may have heard it.

The first time I saw what any of the First Line looked like was when I drew that double page spread of them in battle in the first/last issue. I drew a bunch of "scattered" panels, and then started drawing characters as they popped into my head.

Then Roger and I started making up names for them -- some entirely mine, some entirely Roger's, and some half-and-half. We also started thinking about which ones we liked best, and wanted to develop further in the rest of the series.

Rog came up with the name Flatiron, for the visual I'd created, and I came up with his backstory. Of course, since he was drawn before he was named, his "look" was established first, and it wasn't until working on this commission, this morning, that I realized his armor should be much more "boiler plate" than, say, Iron Man or Walkabout.

I came up with the name Pixie, and rog named Oxbow. I then established his history and their relationship. I also decided she was an Eternal, since she had the look.

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Really liked Black Fox when I first saw 'im, so this is particularly cool.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I don't know why, but I just don't like reading black & white comic…

••

Well, you're just a big poopy-head!

Black and white comics are COOL!!! And also the closest a lot of us will ever get to seeing the original art!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I know nothing about the Lost Generation, but you can instantly work out which one is Black Fox, Oxbow and Flatiron.

This is a really cool scene. I like how solid and chunky Oxbow's hands are and the way you've textured Flatiron's armour -- and, yes, his limbs really are drawn in a way reminscent of JR Jr.

Benny Hasa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As usual. I'm jealous. Another amazing piece hits, and while I know little of The Lost Generation characters, I can say I love their designs.

Oh, and I'm quite enjoying Mandarin here. Best rendition of the character in a long time.

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I really like this commission! I don't know much about The Lost Generation, but this is fun. Lots of action and nice layout. Great idea and execution!

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version