Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Anglo-Am Relations - 02.03.2013 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

--- Love the poses.--- Peter Martin

Seconded. Fabulous silhouettes and brilliant renders.

-D
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I love the "bend" in Spider-Man. Just that little curve adds so much to the figure.

Edited by Brian Miller on 04 February 2013 at 10:22am
Back to Top profile | search

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Great inks JB. Your recent commissions emphasize this. You keep getting better and better. I like Captain Britain and I don't dislike this costume but if his cowl didn't have those graphic markings... . My first reaction from viewing this pice, I want to read this Marvel Team-Up!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

IIRC, this would be the second time JB's drawn this version of Captain Britain - the first time would be on the cover of OHOTMUDE#2.

JB, this is a different Spider-Man than I'm used to from you, but I really like it!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB, this is a different Spider-Man than I'm used to from you, but I really like it!

••

I was aware as I inked the figure that there was . . . something different going on, but I could not tell you what it is!!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think it's something to do with his eyes. I like it, whatever it is.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Wonderful! Great to see JB drawing my favourite superhero in my favourite version of his costume. 
I like the X shape that results from the "missing" cross, and leaving it out makes the costume less fussy from the back. The flag is there on the Captain's helmet anyway. 
To me, Union Jack's costume looks too busy.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I do like captain britain, but a lot of that may be down to Alan Davis.   I do agree with JB's comments about the character's name. Captain anything does sound more like an American kind of thing.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 February 2013 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Another great commission.  The inks give me the feeling that they were done by Paul Neary. Which works wonderfully for these two characters. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 February 2013 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I do like captain britain, but a lot of that may be down to Alan Davis.   I do agree with JB's comments about the character's name. Captain anything does sound more like an American kind of thing.

••

The British mentality does not lend itself easily to the concept of superheroes. Kind of ironic, really, since the Nation has, oh, a thousand years more history than the US. Yet the traditional [Fill-in-the-Blank]-Man approach doesn't really fit the British personality, and their Military ranks they reserve for... the Military!

The difference in thinking is well illustrated, I think, by Donald Campbell's land speed racing car (and also record setting boat). Like his father before him, Campbell built big, powerful muscle machines, and named them all. . .   Bluebird. As a kid, growing up in England, when Campbell was one of my heroes, there seemed nothing odd about that choice. But after spending two thirds of my life writing and drawing American superheroes, it feels kinda... soft.

Even Canada, which despite itself is still so very British, afforded me a greater range of names when I was cobbling Alpha Flight* together.

_______

* That name was Claremont's choice, and is itself very British, and, to my ear, soft. When the group were fan characters (with different members, except for Guardian), I called them The Canadian Shield, after the range of mountains that brackets Hudson's Bay. Marvel nixed that one, for obvious reasons.

Marvel also would not, at first, let me use "Guardian", and it was Chris, again, who lumbered the character with "Vindicator". Which, when I heard it, prompted me to ask "And what exactly does Canada need to vindicate?" Chris' choice of the name was based on an fictional fighter/bomber that appeared in THUNDERBALL.

Simon Williams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2013 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Hi all! First time poster, long-time fan of Mr. Byrne! Apologies if this isn't the correct part of the forum to introduce myself... I'm new to this forum thing!

Just wanted to comment on this awesome commission piece... as much as I love Alan Davis' work, I'm actually more of a fan of the original Captain Britain costume.. which John Byrne of course drew in the classic MARVEL TEAM-UP with Spidey. You've definitely nailed this costume though... and your Spidey, as always looks.. well, amazing!

Consider me envious of whoever owns this awesome piece of work!
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version