Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: A question for John Byrne re: Wolverine Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

some years ago, my wife and i were at san diego comic-con and happened to be on a street near the convention center. i glanced into a restaurant doorway and saw rosario dawson walking out-- she had a comic book due to come out soon. without even breaking stride, but just glancing back over my shoulder, i said, "good luck with your comic!" loud enough for her to hear. (i didn't want to be a drooling fanboy or make her uncomfortable by being recognized in public.)

didn't even look back but heard "thank you!"

probably the oddest encounter either of us had at that con but fun and memorable!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It seems like with all the conventions and Comic-Con-type events in which fans can interact with celebrities, it would be considered fair to not bother them when they are clearly "off the clock."

••

Unfortunately, all too often this is where "taxpayer mentality" kicks in. "You OWE me! I PAY your SALARY!"

One of the many things that have caused me to give up the convention circuit entirely is those fans who simply DON'T GET IT. Who don't understand that meeting a Pro at a Con is something SPECIAL. It's something ABOVE and BEYOND the "job" of the Pro. And most Pros really do not enjoy being treated as autograph-robots who should be compelled to sign ON DEMAND, no matter what the time or location. (Both Frank Miller and I "enjoyed" the experience of comics being thrust at us under the stall door in the men's room. How often? Once each. But isn't that once too often?)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

probably the oddest encounter either of us had at that con but fun and memorable!

••

As many here are aware, my "oddest" celebrity encounter most surely has to have been with Julie Newmar. Paul Dini and I were standing in the hotel lobby when we saw her arrive. We crossed to intersect her path, and Paul said, quietly, "Miss Newmar. . . "

"Yes," she said, and kept on walking.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

For the few cons I've attended, I've gone with the mindset that I will purchase something at the table from the artist/celeb/whatever.  A photograph they are selling, a TPB, a sketch, etc and get that autographed. I might have a couple comics to sign, those that really mean something to me (sometimes the tattered first issue that I ever read), but that's it.  I couldn't imagine being one of the guys with the hand carts with long boxes on them.  And certainly, my time with them is at the table.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I couldn't imagine being one of the guys with the hand carts with long boxes on them.

••

Too many of those show no consideration whatsoever for either the Pro, OR the fans in line behind them.

Over the years I worked out many different attempts at controlling and reducing the abuse, but there seemed always to be some who were pushing for that "loophole".

Doug Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I would presume that appropriate decorum would require the fan meeting the celebrity to imagine the encounter from the celebrity's perspective for a moment.  For the fan, it is an exciting, unique opportunity to make a personal connection with someone who has produced something which is important to the fan.  For the celebrity, however, I imagine that the encounter, even if polite, discrete, and pleasant, is far from exciting or unique.  It most likely happens to the celebrity all the time,whether the setting is convenient or not, whether the celebrity is pressed for time or not, in a good mood or not, sick, tired, preoccupied, upset, or whatever.

I can only imagine how exhausting that would be to deal with well wishers potentially at any moment, especially if some of them are loud, presumptuous, and pushy.  Money would obviously be nice, but I don't see much appeal to being famous.  It sounds more like a curse than a blessing.  All the more reason to keep one's comments to something along the lines of "thank you for your work-- it has enriched my life" and move on unless the celebrity him or herself decides to prolong the exchange.

In my opinion at least.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I would presume that appropriate decorum would require the fan meeting the celebrity to imagine the encounter from the celebrity's perspective for a moment. For the fan, it is an exciting, unique opportunity to make a personal connection with someone who has produced something which is important to the fan. For the celebrity, however, I imagine that the encounter, even if polite, discrete, and pleasant, is far from exciting or unique. It most likely happens to the celebrity all the time,whether the setting is convenient or not, whether the celebrity is pressed for time or not, in a good mood or not, sick, tired, preoccupied, upset, or whatever.

••

A girlfriend I had years ago summed it up quite well. She noted, of course, that what is a one-off experience for the fan, usually, is a one-in-hundreds, even thousands for the celebrity.

She also noted, tho, that fans sometimes develop the idea that their role as consumer (an important role, make no mistake!) is something MORE. In the case of monthly comics, they begin to feel that a DIALOG is occurring between themselves and the creators of the books. And, when they meet those creators, they expect that dialog to continue. But, in the creator's mind, what is happening is a MONOLOG. Any "back and forth" is strictly in the fan's mind.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I think the trouble is,that a good many people lack the ability to imagine living in the celebrity`s shoes,and any consideration is beyond them.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, I was pleased to see Dirk Benedict. Would have loved to have stood there for an hour talking with him, but I was conscious of people behind me. A little consideration goes a long way.

Regarding "loopholes". When I've been to conventions, there might be signs asking for only two things to be signed, but clever people find a way around that loophole, such as asking if it's two books per person, meaning that if they're with a girlfriend, they can actually get four books signed. The signs should really state "TWO BOOKS PER SIGNING" so that if a family of six show up, they still only get two books signed between them.

Simon Williams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The most famous people I've ever met have been the voice actors from the original Transformers cartoon show. Gregg Berger (Grimlock) and Dan Gilvezan (Bumblebee.. he was also Spider-man in the classic 80's Spider-man and his Amazing Friends). Both were incredibly nice guys... no ego whatsoever. :)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Regarding "loopholes". When I've been to conventions, there might be signs asking for only two things to be signed, but clever people find a way around that loophole, such as asking if it's two books per person, meaning that if they're with a girlfriend, they can actually get four books signed. The signs should really state "TWO BOOKS PER SIGNING" so that if a family of six show up, they still only get two books signed between them.

A few years ago, I had the wonderful experience of getting to meet Gene Colan at a convention. I had nothing for him to sign, just wanted to thank him for the influence his work had on my life. It turned out to be one of the best conversations I've ever had and I cherish the memory. Colan was, as I'm sure most of us know, in bad health for the last few years of his life. I overheard his wife talking to someone about the medical bills they were struggling to pay. There was a big sign posted at the table informing people that Colan was charging $3 per autograph. As I stood there talking to him, a fan came up, shoved a comic in front of Mr. Colan, which was then signed. The fan then claimed to not have seen the sign about the $3, then, when asked, said he didn't have three dollars. Of course, I have no way of knowing if he really didn't have the money, although it makes me wonder who goes to a convention without a few dollars on them, but he could have at the very least apologized and thanked Colan for what was now a free autograph, but he didn't.He shrugged and walked away.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Raj Dhami
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2013 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"A little consideration goes a long way."

Well said!

I think that sums up how people should relate to one another in all walks of life, irrespective of status.  But there certainly does seem to be some kind of inverse behaviour w.r.t famous people...as if "they owe you".

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version