Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Studio question for JB (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 1  

(By the way for me i listened lot of jazz maybe 10 years to 15 ago but am nothing of an expert. i still listen to some from time to time, mostly Coltrane's Blue train, occasionaly Giant Steps, rarely now A love supreme. "Often" Cannonball Aderley's Something Else, occasionnally Wayne Shorter's Speak no evil and Miles Davis Sketches of Spain. Thats about it. I used to listen a lot Thelonious Monk piano solo but not anymore. From time to time i still enjoy Ornette Coleman at small doses. Did not  listen Charlie Parker in a long while excepted Ornithology.)

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 13 June 2013 at 10:36am
Back to Top profile | search

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

I like to listen to music or have the TV on in the background. I have an old commodore 64 monitor hooked up to a dvd player and my iphone hooked up to speakers. I'd like to think playing faster music makes me work faster but half the time I tune it out anyway. Sometimes the album will end and I won't notice. Or if I'm watching a movie, I'll lift my head and all of a sudden the thing is almost over.

The thing I hate is the telephone. Nothing ruins everything like the damn phone ringing!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 3  

The thing I hate is the telephone. Nothing ruins everything like the damn phone ringing!

••

I Zen out on the phone. I'll get into an hour long conversation with somebody, and when I "come back" a page has been drawn! And usually it's one of my "Damn, I'm Good!" pages!

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

The 'no music' rule is also endorsed by Dave Sim, in a lecture to Savannah College of Art & Design students - 

"Now here's where I'm going to alienate everyone in the room. Television is bad for creativity. So is music.  Not small 'b' bad.  Capital 'b' Bad. A professional golfer does not catch up on the Young and the Restless while he walks up to the fairway to take his second shot. Football players on the sidelines are not listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon on their walkmans. A concert pianist does not listen to Terminator 2 while he practises a concerto. If you would even suggest such a thing to any of these individuals they would tell you that you're two fries short of a happy meal. Divided focus is no focus. All of you disagree with me but that's okay, because I'm right and you're wrong. Divided focus is no focus. Focus precludes both companionship and the illusion of companionship. Isolation, silence and the training of all of your faculties so that all that exists for you is the feel of the pencil or the pen, the subtleties of pressure of that pencil point or that pen point, to the exclusion of all other stimuli, is a universally ignored but self-evident route to improvement."

Back to Top profile | search | www

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

The 'no music' rule is also endorsed by Dave Sim, in a lecture to Savannah College of Art & Design students

Meh. what does he know???

I Zen out on the phone. I'll get into an hour long conversation with somebody, and when I "come back" a page has been drawn! And usually it's one of my "Damn, I'm Good!" pages!

See, I think that is amazing.

I find it hard to concentrate on either the call or the artwork with the phone in my ear. But I still try! And my better half always knows when I'm trying to do both based on the amount of times I ask her to repeat herself.   

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 6  

I can doodle while talking on the telephone but not draw "real" work while conversing.  For one thing, my head would be tilted, resulting in unwanted lines leaning and creating distortion.  As JB encourages I work in silence as much as possible although at times, for whatever reason I like to draw to music for periods of time. Tends to be hard rock music or jazz, maybe.  I will get to a point at times where I have to shut it off if it becomes a distraction.

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 7  

It's funny Sim uses athletes and musicians as examples to support his opinion and not writers, painters, architects or others whose jobs are to sit by themselves at a desk and not performing in a public venue. 

As far as listening to music as being capital B-bad, it didn't seem to hurt Jack Kirby's creativity any. Everyone has their own way of working, there's no right or wrong as long as the work gets done.

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 8  

I never read comics while I'm recording new music.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 9  

I seem to remember reading that Leonardo Da Vinci would hire musicians to play while he painted.

Of course, he was an awfully slow painter.....

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

I Zen out on the phone. I'll get into an hour long conversation with
somebody, and when I "come back" a page has been drawn! And
usually it's one of my "Damn, I'm Good!" pages!
See, I think that is amazing.

I find it hard to concentrate on either the call or the artwork with the
phone in my ear. But I still try! And my better half always knows when
I'm trying to do both based on the amount of times I ask her to repeat
herself.
=========
Ronald, I generally have the same result as you. Only once has I
happened where I was on the phone, and when I finished the call,
think "Holy crap, where did that come from!"

What I really hate is my lack of consistency. For two weeks I'll go
through a period where every line I put down is exactly where that line
should live. I am just in the zone. Then one day, with no real change
in the amount of time I spend drawing, it'll be gone. I'm never a fun
person to be around on that first day out of the zone.    
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ernest Degollado
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 11  

It would just be a matter of time before we heard "His classical stuff was better."
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2013 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 12  

When I'm at the drawing board I need back ground noise. I have Tinnitus and can't concentrate if I have nothing to help drown out the ringing.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version