Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Back with Two Beasts - 05.11.2014 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2014 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Charles Nelson - I see your point, but I think I have to disagree with you. I think Batman is the better killer too.. but he NEVER EVER EVER does it.

I mean, let's face facts. Which of these indicates a better killer?

SCENARIO 1: "Oh my god! This man is dead! It looks as if he been clawed to pieces by a wild animal! And look - HUMAN footprints leading away! It must be... the WOLVERINE!"

SCENARIO 2: "Oh my god! This man is dead! But there's not a mark on him! This room was sealed! And six police covered every entrance the entire time! Who could have done this? HOW?"

I don't know what editor at DC has the power to stop writers from having Batman kill - and then again, I haven't read Batman in years, so maybe he does kill now - but if Batman applied commensurate skill to killing as he does to everything else, the string of unidentified murders would be legendary.
Back to Top profile | search

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2014 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Well, in Wolverine's defence, I assume that being the best there is at what he does doesn't mean just killing. I think the guy is the ultimate 'street level' predator. He's a tracker, he's extremely tough, strong, resourceful and has the coldness to kill if he has to. Sure, he doesn't have Batman's 'panache' but he doesn't need to.
He is the 'go-to guy' in some specific situations. The panel below illustrates what I'm trying to say:

The best guy to have around in these kind of scenarios, IMO.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Curtis Joyce
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2014 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Absolutely fantastic.  NOBODY draws a better Wolverine, and that Batman is just perfect.  The definition of "on model".  Others should be taking notes.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2014 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

great commission

Love the scallops of the cape, where the light has caught it, and they are just little brush strokes
Back to Top profile | search | www

Geoff Lander
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2014 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Really cool.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thomas Francis Tryon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2014 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I remember when I bought the first issue of the first Wolverine Mini-Series off the newsstand and I asked myself, "How could Marvel use Frank Miller to draw this when they have John Byrne in their bullpen?" This commission is further proof that even back then I knew 'good' but wanted 'the best'.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 May 2014 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I remember when I bought the first issue of the first Wolverine Mini-Series off the newsstand and I asked myself, "How could Marvel use Frank Miller to draw this when they have John Byrne in their bullpen?" This commission is further proof that even back then I knew 'good' but wanted 'the best'.

•••

I've often joked that Hugh Jackman owes his career to me, since I would not let Chris write Wolverine out of the book as he and Dave Cockrum planned. But the reality there is that it was Frank who went off-model and drew Logan looking like Clint Eastwood. It was Jackman's resemblance to early Eastwood that informed his casting as Wolverine.

So, in the end, tho people remember "my" Wolverine fondly, the interpretations that defined the character had little to do with mine.

Hunter McFalls
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2014 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Wolverine became my favorite character (after Cyclops) from Mr. Byrne's run. Awesome commission!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version