Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Milo Manara Draws Spider-Woman Fanboys Cry Foul (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2014 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 1  

That Captain Marvel image that Robert/Brian posted is awesome, but there's no reason his dink should be seen like that.
Alex Ross is a slave to his photo references sometimes.

Editors don't seem to be discouraging these shots, or maybe DC and Marvel no longer employ editors???
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 August 2014 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 2  

At any point in your career, have you ever been editorially directed to tone down' or even 'ramp up' the sexiness of a character in a panel?

•••

Oh, sure. I was instructed to make the Scarlet Witch's breasts larger, and larger, and larger still. A whole series of "art lessons" on the back of the pages of several issues of THE AVENGERS.

Toning it down, tho, no. Unless we count the Comics Code. But that way lies frustration, as there were different people reviewing the books, and something that was passed one month might be zapped the next.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2014 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 3  

Well, to be fair, you always struck me as one of the few artists that had some notion as to how breasts (large breasts in particular) move and lay as gravity effects them.  

Most comic book breasts have a gravity defying super power all their own.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2014 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'm not seeing anything overly sexualized in that Captain Marvel panel.  Overly photo-referenced, maybe, but nothing that I'd zero in on as out of the ordinary in a comic book panel, especially when compared to that Manara Spider-Woman cover.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Aaron Most
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2014 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

Just saw this on TMZ while walking through the break room.  Slow news day indeed.

Jonathan Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2014 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 6  

There is a real sweet spot where Alex Ross' skills as an artist mesh with the genre. Unfortunately, he seems to make a habit of zipping right past that spot and into a level of photo-detail that robs the work of what it needs: a sense of fantasy.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 August 2014 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 7  

When I first became aware of Ross' work, in MARVELS, I was blown away. Somehow, he avoided the most basic pitfall of painted superheroes -- making them look like models posing in home made costumes.

Scroll ahead fifteen years or so, and it seems all he DOES is models posing in home made costumes. That Captain Marvel is a typical example. Look at the wrist bands. Aren't those supposed to be metal? I don't recall C. C. Beck ever drawing them with wrinkles, like cloth.

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2014 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 8  

I see nothing particularly more shocking about this art than what has become the norm for the last 20 years. The only difference here that I could find is that it is well-drawn and so maybe more alluring than the rest. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2014 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 9  

That Captain Marvel is a typical example. Look at the wrist bands. Aren't those supposed to be metal? I don't recall C. C. Beck ever drawing them with wrinkles, like cloth.
```````````
I didn't know that. All this time I thought they were cloth.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2014 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 10  

(Yes, I call him Shazam, not Captain Marvel)

•••

That's fine.

Oh, from now on, I'm going to call you "Brian "

I know the facts, but it makes more sense calling him Shazam since every comic book and TV show I've ever seen is titled Shazam. I've never seen a comic titled Captain Marvel. (except for Marvel's). Shazam makes such a cool name.

Example project where it's implied his name is Shazam:

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2014 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 11  

"I don't hear a big outcry against the unrealistic male physiques by many either.  They do everything they do with women with men in advertising and media.  Chiseled good looks, tall, tiny waists, big muscles...how is that ANY different than the movement to "save" girls from unrealistic portrayals in the media?"
------------------------------------------------------------ -

Well said Andy. That's kind of what I was getting at in my own roundabout way, but didn't manage to express it as clearly as you did.

On another note. I think it should be pointed out that this Spiderwoman cover that folk are getting worked up about is a variant cover. It's not the main cover. And if the experiences I've had at my local Forbidden Planet are anything to go by, then that'll mean a couple of these covers tucked up on the top shelf with an extortionate price markup. So no need to protect the masses from this. As about the only folk getting their hands on it will be the ones who already really want it, and are prepared to pay through the nose to get it..

Brian Peck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2014 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 12  

Jason,
It might just be a variant cover, but Marvel uses the variant covers to
promote the comic on-line. So many people will see it, including
potential new female readers.

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version