Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: What you think? (Oklahoma Beheading) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 1  

Sometimes I want to ignore these gun stories because they remind me that NOTHING is going to change the gun laws in this country no matter what the situation is or the casualties. This is a big failure of people unwilling to properly understand the damage our right to bear arms has had and that it needs to be amended.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 2  

"In Chicago USA where any type of firearm is legal..."

Illinois state law prohibits the possession of automatic firearms and short barreled weapons.

••

Correct -- but it has no impact on the basic truth. The NRA and other gun fetishists paint a picture of our streets running red if we could not "properly protect" ourselves. Australia (and many other nations where private ownership of firearms is restricted) demonstrate this to be false on a daily basis. While we, seemingly also on a daily basis, demonstrate the opposite.

Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 3  

One single (and only) post, with no retort so far from Mr. Parente?

My "Deliberately Obtuse Shit-stirrer" sense is tingling!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 4  

"Correct -- but it has no impact on the basic truth. The NRA and other gun fetishists paint a picture of our streets running red if we could not "properly protect" ourselves. Australia (and many other nations where private ownership of firearms is restricted) demonstrate this to be false on a daily basis. While we, seemingly also on a daily basis, demonstrate the opposite."

I absolutely 100% agree with that statement, And honestly believe the majority of the American people believe that. It just shows the power of special interests groups to keep things status quo . 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 5  

One single (and only) post, with no retort so far from Mr. Parente?

My "Deliberately Obtuse Shit-stirrer" sense is tingling!

••

Mine also, instantly. But if it opens another discussion of this critical issue, the shit-stirring performs a vital function -- even if not the one intended by the shit-stirrer!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 7:16am | IP Logged | 6  

"Correct -- but it has no impact on the basic truth. The NRA and other gun fetishists paint a picture of our streets running red if we could not "properly protect" ourselves. Australia (and many other nations where private ownership of firearms is restricted) demonstrate this to be false on a daily basis. While we, seemingly also on a daily basis, demonstrate the opposite."

I absolutely 100% agree with that statement, And honestly believe the majority of the American people believe that. It just shows the power of special interests groups to keep things status quo .

••

Democracy is defined (at least, when I was in school) as majority rule with respect for minority rights. On this matter, at least, polls show the majority would prefer a sane and sensible handling of the problem. Unfortunately, that majority is being held hostage by the minority, and apparently the ransom paid in lives cut short just hasn't reached the magic number yet.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 7  

"I read somewhere that the proper definition of the word 'cult' should be any religion you join voluntarily as an adult."

If you "join voluntarily", then, by definition, it's not a cult.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 8  

That article/essay is playing with words a bit too much for my taste. To say that people do not join cults, but rather are recruited, warps the meaning of both words.

James Long
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 9  

apparently the ransom paid in lives cut short just hasn't reached the magic number yet.

The NRA blocked the research into stats on firearms deaths be they through homicide, ruled accidental shootings, or suicides. That is what the Australian news reports. Does the American press not report this?

The Australian press also recently revealed that a terror plot to kill an australian at random by beheading and send the film to syria for global distrubution had been foiled by police in conjuction with ASIO.

Another terror suspect seriously wounded two police officers, who were questioning him, with a knife before they shot him dead.

I see ISIS as more of a get rich quick scheme than a religious one with the zealots peppered in amongst a larger group of entrepeneurs  but what do I know?  I still don't want 12 guns.

Edited by James Long on 28 September 2014 at 5:11pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 10  

The NRA blocked the research into stats on firearms deaths be they through homicide, ruled accidental shootings, or suicides. That is what the Australian news reports. Does the American press not report this?

••

We know the numbers. They just don't have any effects on the spineless worms who slither around the halls of Congress.

James Long
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 11  

We know the numbers. They just don't have any effects on the spineless worms who slither around the halls of Congress.

Yeah they look pretty spineless from here too. When one  piddling little 250 million USdollar not for profit business that can successfully corrupt a 16.8 trillion USdollar country so fundamentally. 

Edited by James Long on 28 September 2014 at 5:05pm

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 12  

Never understood how a grown, thinking adult could ever voluntary join a religion (or cult) and have always been somewhat suspicious of their mental capabilities and powers of reason. Especially if someone becomes a muslim. Got to have some weird stuff going on in your head to join that group. 

--------------

1. People join religions/cults for a variety of reasons.  I doubt deficiency of reasoning power is one of them, however.  If Sir Arthur Conan Doyle could believe in fairies, no one is immune.
  2. Why especially a Muslim?  They're all demonstrably illogical.  I could see Mormon, as the religion's origin is fairly transparent, or Scientology, which isn't even a generation old.  So why Muslim?

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version