Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: What you think? (Oklahoma Beheading) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2014 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 1  

Political correctness beats the alternative, which has to be political incorrectness, doesn't it?

Might be a little late in the argument for this but in terms of violence within small  tribal communities there are much worse examples than islamic tribes that always seem to capture global headlines.

Steve Pinker will tell you all about it better than I could in his TED talk.

https://www.ted.com/talks/steven_pinker_on_the_myth_of _violence

Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2014 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 2  

Political correctness beats the alternative, which has to be political incorrectness, doesn't it?
-------------------------------
No, the alternative is telling the truth, whether the truth is what you want it to be, or is 'nice', or offends someone, or not.

If you claim to be for women's rights, or gay rights, or freedom of religion, or freedom of speech and you don't condemn Islam, you are at best a hypocrite because it is the greatest offender against all of those values in the world today.

Bill Maher's closing comments last Friday seem apropos to this discussion. Watch and/or read them HERE

James Long
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2014 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 3  

Separation of church and state is a valid point but so far as the rest of the vitriole.. Have to ask... Is he saying because someone else is worse that we are allowed to be only slightly better than them in order to be doing things properly? I don't get it? And since when is Obama muslim? 

Has Maher read a poll that said most of his viewers THINK Obama is Islamic or does he just want to see American soldiers dying in IRAQ and Syria so he can have something else to condemn the Obama administration or its successor for? 

There seems no doubt that he has no compunction minority bashing as well. Is that a virtue in your eyes?

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2014 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 4  

"Those followers of Islam who are practicing a more highly evolved version of their faith need to be encouraged to be ever more vocal in denouncing their knuckle draggers so that hopefully their religion can evolve to embrace classical liberal ideals like other religions have."

If so, they're not the only ones...

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2014 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

And since when is Obama muslim?
------------------------
That was a joke.

And yes, if one is going to set one's self up as being a rational person, then one is going to have to acknowledge that there's a difference between requiring a woman to pay for her own birth control medication and holding a woman down and cutting out her clitoris.

It makes no rational sense to rant and rave about the former, and excuse the latter under the banner of 'multiculturalism'.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2014 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

If so, they're not the only ones...
----------------------------
Right, so, your point is that we shouldn't denounce Islams systematic oppression of women, gays, dissenters, and religious and ethnic minorities because people who aren't muslims have also done horrible things. Got it.
Makes total sense.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2014 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

I just realized something: Why am I attempting to have a rational conversation with someone who's defending White Supremacy?

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2014 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 8  

If you want to talk about Islam's issues with women, female genital mutilation isn't the best example. Some Muslims practice it, but it's a tribal tradition older than Islam that's not even mentioned in the Qu'ran and is in no way limited to Muslims in present day either.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2014 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 9  

someone who's defending White Supremacy?
------------------------------
That's in print, so its libel.

Where, good sir, did I defend white supremacy? I condemned a religion, I never said anything about any race. You're not new to this board...religions get attacked around here a lot.

Btw, while I have never here said a word about white supremacy (let alone defend it), you are currently defending the stoning of homosexuals, women being deprived of the right to work, drive, vote, leave the house without a man, and be free from forced genital mutilation. All I've done in this thread is condemn all those things...and you're arguing with me.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2014 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 10  

You're not new to this board..."

You're right.  Which is why I really should have known better than to take the bait from a trolling White Supremacist.  I've heard it's kind of like competing in the Special Olympics...

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2014 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 11  

trolling White Supremacist
-------------------------
Moderators, if you would?

James Long
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2014 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 12  

Those followers of Islam who are practicing a more highly evolved version of their faith need to be encouraged to be ever more vocal in denouncing their knuckle draggers so that hopefully their religion can evolve to embrace classical liberal ideals like other religions have.

but what if these more highly evolved versions don't want to get into arguments with people who will just say 'if it was good enough for my ancestors...' and cut their heads off for being witches? Are you going to make them? How were you planning to do that?

Also there are higher authorities who wouldn't condone many of the infringements upon personal liberty that you have mentioned who have jurisdiction over a lot of the places that these things occur in. but if word doesn't get out to these authorities due to tribal loyalty or standover methods how is authority supposed to do its job?

Edited by James Long on 29 September 2014 at 2:26pm

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version