Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: RIP - Herb Trimpe (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2015 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 1  

You can't wonder who's next. Everyone is next, it's the order that's unknown. Best to not think about such things and celebrate the person who just passed.

I started GI Joe with #10, great memories of his artwork.

Did he do the cover to GI Joe #1? I can't find credit anywhere. That's my all time favorite comic cover.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2015 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

The cover to G.I. Joe 1 is indeed Herb Trimpe inked by Bob McLeod. The signatures are to the left of the UPC box.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2015 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

Wow...very sad news. RIP . Loved both his Hulk and Godzilla runs.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 April 2015 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 4  

His Hulk (as well as Buscema's) will always be MY Hulk, and for me, the definitive interpretation of the character.

•••

Being an old time Kirby guy, I can't go with "definitive," but I did love Herb's Hulk. He drew the Green Goliath looking like a gunnysack stuffed with basketballs -- and that's a GOOD thing!

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2015 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 5  

This is the article Herb wrote back in 2000 about having to change careers in his mid 50's after almost 30 years at Marvel. 

http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/010900edlife-56-edu. html

It's tough to say goodbye to someone who's work was so welcomed in my childhood. Plus, seeing Herb at conventions was always a treat. For me, I loved Shogun Warriors. That man drew a great giant robot.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2015 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 6  

Very sorry to read this. His was one of my favorite Hulk periods and I even enjoyed his work on Godzilla. Equally good at pencils and inks.

Found his "dismissal" from Marvel and evolution into teaching poignant and courageous.

Incredibly sad to think of this huge talent being overlooked because of the "kewl" factor of lesser, amateurish lights.

Trimpe's work was featured recently in Savage Dragon 200 and I was hoping for a comeback. Another bitter disappointment.

But he leaves behind a reputable and admirable body of work. At the moment I am thinking of his inks over Kirby pencils on The Silver Surfer #18, original series.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 April 2015 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 7  

Jesus:  "Found his "dismissal" from Marvel and evolution into teaching poignant and courageous."

I totally agree - I was trying to find the right words to express how I felt after reading the diary entries, but I couldn't find the words.  You said it perfectly, Jesus.

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2015 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 8  

I can imagine, as a kid or as an adolescent who loved drawing and comics, how mind-blowingly fabulous I would have found it to have a Marvel Comics artist for my art teacher.  I wonder how many of his students experienced that feeling?

Eric Russ
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2015 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 9  

No way!  Thanks for everything Mr. Trimpe

Robert Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2015 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 10  

I remember the last Hulk story Herb drew from his run on the Hulk.  It was a Lock Ness Monster story where they didn't use his art for the cover.  I saw the rejected cover he drew and it was much better than the one printed.  It's mind boggling that he was on the Hulk for eight years.  You'll never see they type of run in a Marvel comic ever.I wish he had stayed. I also loved Sal Bucema and Joe Stanton's run on the art chores after. However it was Herb's interpretation that defined the Hulk for me and influenced everything that came after.  

He may have not been a superstar in Marvel's eyes but he was to me. I always picked up a book with Trimpe's art.  I remember purchasing Iron Man and the Defenders just to see how his interpretations of the characters. 

It's was disappointing that Herb was never asked to draw for the Rampaging Hulk black and white magazine or the eventually the full process color magazine at the time of the TV series.  

Robert Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2015 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 11  

I know we won't see it but there should be a Marvel tribute book  dedicated to Herb Trimpe's best art. He deserved so much better from Marvel. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2015 at 5:00am | IP Logged | 12  

The very earliest issues of G.I. Joe pencilled by Herb Trimpe were pure excitement for me. Thank you, and R.I.P. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version