Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: Donald Trump (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2015 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 1  

I just realized that Donald Trump is as close as we will ever get to a Biff Tannen Presidential Bid.

Apparently, I'm not the first person to have this thought...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-is-biff-tan nen_55a94b67e4b065dfe89e414c

Edited by James Reese on 03 September 2015 at 7:40am
Back to Top profile | search

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2015 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 2  

CNN: Donald Trump signs RNC loyalty pledge

This was inevitable. Had he not made the pledge, he would have been banned from the South Carolina primary ballot. The state Republican Committees in Iowa and New Hampshire were taking action to implement the same ban for candidates who don't pledge. The question now is, will this hurt him or help him in the polls?

I think it will help him. He's at 30% in the polls, 12 points ahead of #2 Ben Carson (#2 is apropos as he's a real piece of shit). Like any good demagogue, he'll convince his followers that signing the pledge is a victorious sign of strength, not knuckling under to the party. No idea if he'll make it to the general election, but like any good Democrat, I sure as hell am enjoying watching him fuck up the GOP six ways from Sunday.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2015 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

Like any good demagogue, he'll convince his followers that signing the pledge is a victorious sign of strength, not knuckling under to the party.

----------

One dance Donald Trump does flawlessly is the ol' ex post facto.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2015 at 2:05am | IP Logged | 4  

Trump says that he signed the pledge because he was given assurance he "will be treated fairly" by the Republican Party.  When he doesn't get the nomination, it will not be difficult for him to come up with some rationalization as to how he was treated unfairly by the Party.  He can then claim that since the Party reneged on their side of the agreement, he can renege on his.  So this doesn't really rule out his option of running independently.  I don't think anyone who supports Trump is going to care if he breaks this pledge anyway.  Part of his appeal is that he's a rule breaker and does whatever he wants.  

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 04 September 2015 at 2:05am

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2015 at 4:13am | IP Logged | 5  

I cannot see the Republican establishment nominating Trump. To do so would be seen as a capitulation of their power to someone at the periphery of their party. They already have a tough enough time trying to control the so-called Tea Party firebrands like Ted Cruz.

If Trump maintains his lead, the nomination will probably be brokered and given to Jeb. Trump will rightfully renege on his pledge and run as a third party candidate. Will it be '92 all over again, when Perot's involvement practically gifted the presidency to Bill Clinton? Or will Trump prove to be a serious contender in the general election. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2015 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 6  

Regardless of any other factors, there is absolutely no way the Republicans would ever nominate a candidate who does not support significantly lowering taxes on the rich.  That is the single most important plank in their platform.   

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2015 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 7  

JASON: Regardless of any other factors, there is absolutely no way
the Republicans would ever nominate a candidate who does not
support significantly lowering taxes on the rich. That is the single
most important plank in their platform.    

SER: I think that is the single most important plank in the platform for
the establishment (primarily the big money donors). Trump doesn't
need the big money donors, nor does he want to court the
establishment. He doesn't have to be liked by the RNC, for example,
to function. He doesn't risk derailing his political career because he
doesn't have one (other than this current campaign).

There is also my theory that a lot of the resistance to tax increases on
the wealthy from the rank and file Republican voters was based in the
theory that GOP subtly (or not so) presented that this money was
being given to undeserving, non-working, shiftless minorities. Trump
gets a lot of leeway from the base by hardly appearing to be "soft" on
minority issues.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2015 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 8  

Stephen Robinson wrote:
I think that is the single most important plank in the platform for the establishment (primarily the big money donors). Trump doesn't need the big money donors, nor does he want to court the establishment. He doesn't have to be liked by the RNC, for example, to function.

No, but he has to be liked by the RNC (and the establishment and big money donors) in order to get the nomination.  The nomination is not an entirely democratic process.  It is controlled by the party, and the party is not going to allow the nomination of someone who does not support their top priority policy goal.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 04 September 2015 at 9:21pm

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2015 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

Soooooo..... how about that 2nd GOP debate? This is just not playing out well to me. Good on entertainment value, pitiful on REAL issues. 

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2015 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 10  

I can't believe Jeb! actually cited 9-11 as George W. keeping the country safe. The country has gone beyond farce. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2015 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 11  

Democracy in Recession

I wonder if watching all these bozos will be the death knell of democracy as we know it? The kids don't bother voting anymore. Will people want a government like Singapore, a more-or-less benevolent dictatorship, or will some other form emerge?

Thinking back to the last US election (or was it the one before) where the big issue of the day was whether the candidates wore flag lapels or not. Politics for idiots.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2015 at 2:24am | IP Logged | 12  

The shame of it all?  Moderators whose sole goal was to pit these morons against each other gladiator style instead of fielding questions that would allow them to discuss real policy issues.  And Hugh Hewitt who seems dedicated to slamming President Obama with every question.

Jake Tapper should quit in shame for allowing JEB! to proclaim that Brother W "kept us safe."  In fact had Trump had REAL balls HE should have been the one to hit back at that!  I would have found a measure of respect for ANY of them who have pointed that out.....but they were all riding on an anti-Obama high so there was no need to dampen the furor.

I find the Republican party to be a dangerous entity.  If any of these jokers are elected we will probably be in full scale military conflict within the year after they take office.  The next fucking day if Darth Carly manages find her way into office.  What the fuck is up with her?!

Meanwhile in the world of real people.....Bernie gave a tremendous speech at uber conservative Liberty University and pretty much told the convocation that if the political policies you support don't match your so called moral/religious convictions, you're doing it wrong. 

He stood in the face of an audience who was probably groomed from birth to detest everything he stands for, and sought common ground.  That's what I want in a President.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 17 September 2015 at 2:28am

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version