Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 36 Next >>
Topic: Trump Wins Republican Nomination (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 1  

Ok let's not get too scared. I know you US voters will do the right thing and send him back to the dumps of political history. BUT in the tiny chance he gets elected, don't you think that The Supreme Court and Congress and most US check systems will in fact make him powerless and prevent him from doing anything he says he would do ?
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 2  

I know you US voters will do the right thing and send him back to the dumps of political history. 

I wish I had your optimism, Philippe. 

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 3  

Powerless from messaging to the public that "the government machine is trying to stop me so use your guns to bring down the government oppression" or something similar? Trump instills fear in the people that oppose him simply because he controls the mob. How quickly could he incite a riot by the ignorant, gun carrying Americans to get rid of the "establishment" that is preventing him from making America great again?

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 4  

I know you US voters will do the right thing and send him back to the dumps of political history.

That was what I had thought about Brexit ...

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 5  

A colleague asked me why I should care about who is US President.

Seriously? We should all care about who the US president is, such is his or her influence. I was convinced Trump had no chance of getting in but our experience with Brexit has left me taking nothing for granted.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 6  

Good to see that Trump had a sufficiently sophisticated comprehension of the complex Brexit situation that he congratulated Scotland on voting to leave!

Bigly!

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 7  

A random commentary: The Republican convention began with someone singing a version of the Turtles' hit song "Happy Together". First off, I've met Turtles singer Howard Kaylan, who is an old hippie, Green-party type, etc. and not close to anything Republican. But that doesn't mean the song can't be used. What I find funny is that the folks who chose the song misinterpreted the lyrics. It isn't about a couple who are "happy together", but rather about someone WISHING they could be with someone (Imagine me and you, I do...). Which does a good job summing up the current state of the republican party. There's a lot of call for unity, but they are definitely scattered and splintered.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 8  

Years ago, on the old Byrne Ward on AOL, an ostensibly well educated
poster commented how the U.S. internment of Japanese citizens was
justified. He was the first person I recall JB banning and it had nothing
to do with JB's supposed ego but rather with the repulsiveness of the
statement.

I wonder how much of Trumpism is rooted in this lack of history or the
refusal to learn from our country's mistakes.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 9  

Good to see that Trump had a sufficiently sophisticated comprehension of the complex Brexit situation that he congratulated Scotland on voting to leave!

The reception he received on visiting Scotland was hilarious. A Mexican band greeted him with tunes at the airport while the landowner who resides adjacently to Trump's golf course planted a Mexican flag on their border.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:

I wish I had your optimism, Philippe.

Winston Churchill wrote:
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 11  

Kevin Brown wrote:
Someone has already mentioned it:  He's similar to Hitler.  I dislike saying that, because I doubt Trump will start building crematoriums and internment camps, but his values and ideas are VERY reminiscent of Hitler.

Not to tee off on you specifically, but I really wish people would stop likening Trump to Hitler.  Both are demagogues who appeal to racism for support, but the points of dissimilarity between them (and between Germany in 1933 and the USA now) are far more significant than the similarities.  I think it's hyperbole and an over-the-top fear-mongering to invoke Hitler as an argument against supporting Trump.  People are far too quick to make comparisons to Hitler these days, and I think it trivializes the significance of what Hitler did to make such comparisons.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 20 July 2016 at 1:11pm

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 12  

It's deeply unfair and inaccurate to suggest Trump is Hitler's equal. Hitler was a decorated combat veteran, for example. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 36 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version