Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: People Want Free Content (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2016 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 1  

I agree (especially about cooking rather than junk).

I enjoy my food and do treat myself, but on the whole, I don't see food as particularly expensive, doubly so because there is so much competition and special offers.

Seems quite hard to believe that, with £70+ a week of social security (and I have claimed that myself when I've been unemployed), that they claim they can't get a meal. No, you won't necessarily be able to afford that £20 steak (10 ounces), but plenty of ingredients and meals. 

Unless you are in dire poverty, I don't see why you'd struggle to buy food. A loaf of bread is cheap as is a pack of cheese. Lasts me a while. Just one example.
Back to Top profile | search

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2016 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 2  

"Has any band ever complained about a tribute band? Has a record company ever complained about a tribute band?"

Metallica - On tribute bands
Prince - On a tribute band (was limited to what I could find)
Pink - Got nothing either way
Pink Floyd - David Gilmour booked the Australian tribute band for his own 60th birthday party. 

I guess I look at tribute bands similar to commissions.  Its about extending the love, not taking away.  Its not like people are going to start buying Brit Floyd or Sandman CDs and T-Shirts as opposed to the original artist. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2016 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 3  

Well Robbie,i was made redundant after 25 years in the same job a week before Christmas,so i know about the £70 a week benefits.I now work in a totally different field for a slightly more upmarket food retailer than Aldi or Lidl,and even with a 20% staff discount Aldi/Lidl can`t be beat! Although the Dine In For Two for £10 @ £8 with discount is a nice treat... side,main,dessert and bottle of wine!
I recall a major media story from a couple of years ago where an obese woman in her 20`s who`d never worked,claimed the state should pay for her to diet as she couldn`t afford a diet course on benefits,basically she lived on take away food,which is hardly cheap(Me and my wife both work and couldn`t afford to live on take aways 7 days a week) when asked why she didn`t buy cheap,healthy ingredients and cook for herself she claimed she didn`t have time! Couldn`t be arsed to lift herself off the sofa away from daytime tv to cook! She had SkyTv box too,which is hardly cheap or essential!
So from cradle to grave,the likes of her will be living life `free` because she can,free money,free housing benefit,free NHS/dental care etc etc,as i said,it`s human nature to take anything that`s `free`
I saw on tv earlier this year,a marathon or similar charity running event,there were pallets of bottled water at the side of the road for runners to re-hydrate,we saw gangs of people stealing it,filling the boots of their cars...water,it`s virtually free from your tap,but they stole bottled water,because they could.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2016 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 4  

"I got a load of shopping recently for £12 from budget supermarket Aldi."

I had no idea Aldi's was across the pond. 
Great savings there.

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2016 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 5  

Aldi is a German company.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2016 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 6  

I like some things which are branded. Coca-Cola is better than any similar product (my guilty pleasure!), but as far as cakes, crisps, chocolate, burgers or whatever, happy to consume the budgeted stuff from Aldi! 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2016 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 7  

My wife likes the alcoholic drink `Malibu` Aldi`s version is £3.99 a bottle against about £12 for the real version,same strength,same taste! Their Amaretto is about £5 too,those are `treats` but the basic foods are seriously cheap,with very few tasting inferior to the big brands.I love their electronics,good value,good specs and a 3 year guarantee! I bought some red bluetooth headphones from them for about £16,they sound good and everybody keeps saying they look like Dr Dre Beats headphones!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2016 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 8  

Thread drift ahoy! Ketchup is my main thing where I need the proper brand.

Back to Tribute band/comedian discussion.

Guess these guys can look forward to getting their legs broken:

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2016 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

I once asked this same question about "Comedian Cover Bands" to
Mike Birbiglia via Twitter. We both were perplexed at the thought of
such a thing. Most comedians have a childhood filled with lip-syncing
their favorite Comedy Albums. Seinfeld and Kevin Pollak did Cosby.
(So did I, to rave reviews at family dinners). You'd think it was more
prevalent, yet it is strictly taboo.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2016 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 10  

Peter,yes Ketchup and Coffee must be the real brand for me!
As for Eric and Ern,as both are dead,a tribute act is a nice way of keeping their work alive.That`s the thing with tribute acts,a lot of the real bands are stadium fillers who may tour every 3 or 4 years,the rigmarole and cost of getting a ticket is so stressful too.A tribute act can be seen locally in an intimate venue for £20 or less and makes a nice Saturday night out.The ones such as Bootleg Beatles,Re-Genesis,Australian Pink Floyd etc are on a larger scale but also fill a niche.I think there is room for all.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 September 2016 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 11  

It's heart warming to read this thread.  Many moons ago when the JBF was in its infancy, I argued the exact point people are making here.  Theft is theft is theft no matter if it's a physical copy or digital bits.  I got huge pushback from a ton of people (none of whom are posting now). Much of it was "sticking it to the man" (as if you could honestly use that as a defense if you stole a car off a lot or a book from a big box store) and the rest of the defense was "it was there, for free, so why not?"  That the vast majority here now see online theft the same way as physical theft means that hopefully there's been a shift in perception for the good.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2016 at 10:21pm | IP Logged | 12  

"obese" - This just in: it is staggeringly easy to be obese in America.  Even easier if you buy cheap shit food.

"tattooed,pierced" - This just in: tattoos and piercings do not go away when you can't afford them anymore.  Also, some people are horrible with money.  When I went to high school home economics was Housewife Class; now I struggle to make ends meet and no one asks me about geometry, French (I can't type in two languages), or situps.

"smoking" - People will always find money for the most addictive substances

Edited by Kevin Hagerman on 29 September 2016 at 10:22pm

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version