Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Image of the Week Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I never got why Keown wasn't able to make it big when he went to Image when some of the other guys there who weren't half the artist he is (Liefeld, Larsen) were able to be very successful. He definitely has a lot of Byrne influence in his art, especially some of his earliest work. Granted, Pitt was just a blatant Hulk riff, but so was most of early Image.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 17 September 2017 at 2:06pm
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

PITT was one of my favorites when Image started, but after a few issues he decided he could publish it on his own--and then I never saw another issue!

It's all about distribution!  It doesn't matter how good the work is if nobody ever sees it.

Likewise, Mark Schultz is amazing--and I've never seen any issue of CADILLACS AND DINOSAURS for sale!

Edited by Eric Jansen on 17 September 2017 at 3:11pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Shane, I think Dale Keown didn't make it as big at Image due to lateness. I know that PITT was and still is one of the few early Image titles that still sells well for me as a back issue.

Edited to add: Eric also has a point about the self-publishing. That seems to have contributed to the book's lateness.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 17 September 2017 at 4:47pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

He definitely has a lot of Byrne influence in his art, especially some of his earliest work.

----

Totally agree here. I had some of his early Dragon Force comics done while at Aircel. You could see the heavy influence JB had on him back then.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

That's the ones, Robert. And oddly enough, the Byrne influence looked very much like early Charlton era Byrne.

Eric and Matt, I knew Pitt had some lateness issues, but so did all the Image books with the exception of maybe Spawn. It seems like very few issues even came out (I wasn't even aware he tried to self-publish) and then it was just gone and Keown seemed to drop off the face of the Earth with the exception of some DC and Marvel comic covers here and there and the Hulk: The End and just a few years back an issue of Avengers with some more Marvel covers. Guys like Keown and Travis Charest (who is a phenomenal artist) I don't get at all because they have so much talent and produce almost nothing. And I know Keown is capable of so much more because he produced about 10 issues of the Hulk a year at Marvel for several years. And Charest used to produce more while on Wildcats (though never a lot honestly, especially once he got into the hyper detailed style he uses today and away from being a Jim Lee clone). 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Travis Charest. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Charest just blows me away. I wish he would put stuff out regularly. I could stare at his work all day. He's come so far from his Jim Lee-clone days. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

When's the last time he put out anything, Brian? I remember some Marvel covers a few years back, but recently I don't know of anything. 

Edit: He hasn't even updated his blog on his website since 2014.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 17 September 2017 at 6:29pm

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I just looked it up--

Dale Keown did nine issues of PITT at Image, then twelve more issues under his own Full Bleed Studios.  Who knew he did 21 issues?  Never saw the Full Bleed issues available anywhere.

Travis Charest moved to Europe to work on a METABARONS graphic novel, but only completed 29 pages and another artist had to be brought in to finish it.  He moved back to San Diego in 2007 and did a few covers.  Since then, he has been working on a webcomic.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I remember liking the art of Charest when he was doing Darkstars(?). But wow...is he great now. Such realism. I've had great pleasure looking up his art. So glad he was added to this thread.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

There's a European feel to Charest's work now, but if he can't even complete more than 29 pages of a graphic novel after spending years on it, that's pretty pathetic no matter how detailed his art is.

And I had no idea Keown did that many issues of PITT. The distribution on those Full Bleed issues must have been terrible. Though if the issues were perpetually late that can affect how much comic shop owners order.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2017 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I really had an urge to put something up by our host. So I spent some time scanning art and let me tell you....there are soooooo many good images I could have chosen.....that I wanted to choose.

Then I remembered this image. To me this is a modern day masterpiece. For those who may not know, if you look for it, all 12 of these covers combined, has the hidden face of Darkseid. Brilliant work.

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version