Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Question For JB-Their Best Work Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Great choices from JB. I remember looking at Superman vs. Muhammad Ali with some artist friends, and one of them commented that there it was a near-perfect job, with maybe one panel break/tangent that could have been handled differently. 

The Garcia-Lopez Superman book is a blast. Such a phenomenal, underappreciated artist. 

And I just picked up the Marvel Epic Collection that collects JB's entire run as writer on Iron Man, and it was the first time I'd read Romita Jr's "Armor Wars II" in ages, and it's some of his best work. I'd forgotten how great Bob Wiacek was inking that book, and Romita really knocked it out of the park.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Shane - oh, so my recommendation isn't good enough for ya, huh? My word doesn't mean enough for ya, huh? Gotta have the alphabetically EARLIER Eric to speak to you that you'll listen to, huh?

You know, I didn't come here to be insulted. It's people like you that make people like me think of people like you the way people like me think of people like you.

I've never been so insulted in my life! Although I think there are a few waiting in the wings to give it a try...

:) :) :) :) :) :) ;)

===

And all kidding aside, Eric J. - I seem to recall reading that big John agreed with you about his preference for sword & sorcery over super hero art. I cannot think of other genres into which he dabbled (e.g., sci-fi, western, war, etc.) - but I also rank him high enough that I cannot imagine him drawing ANYTHING that wasn't desirable and collectible. I hold Mr. Byrne in the same esteem... he's a creator on it, I want it. There is a small handful of others who I hold in that esteem.

Edited by Eric Sofer on 04 October 2017 at 2:20pm
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Eric asked - Besides the super-heroes and Conan, are there any Buscema gems out there that I probably wouldn't know about?

Eric, if you don't have it already, I think Buscema's work on Warriors of the Shadow Realm (No. 11, 12, 13) is a must-have. It was a 3-magazine run with a Weird World story. IIRC even Buscema (at the time) felt this was his best work to-date. It has my vote as his best work too. Credit to Peter Ledger for paining the art and Rudy Nebres for "Rendering" (which I think means he was the inker). The inking is amazing!

If I understand the credits and surmise the process correctly, Peter painted over Johns pencils, and Rudy inked over Peter's painting.

SaveSave

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 04 October 2017 at 5:07pm

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Trying to collect Garcia-Lopez is aggravating. He's the best artist--with not much to buy! I don't think they''ll ever collect ATARI FORCE (because of licensing hang-ups) and I never saw it at the time;

I thought I read somewhere that Dynamite Comics now has the Atari
license and is collecting the ATARI FORCE series.

I'm not sure about Atari Force but Dynamite did recently reprint in a trade paperback the three Swordquest comics written by Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway, with pencils by George Perez and inks by Dick Giordano. These were originally included with Atari 2600 cartridges.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Thanks!  I did have those way back when--I remember the hand colors really going great with Buscema's art!  He also did a Merlin story (for MARVEL PREVIEW, I believe)--his only writing (the text page said).

Any western, sci fi, or horror shorts that anyone knows about?

Edited by Eric Jansen on 04 October 2017 at 9:30pm

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If I understand the credits and surmise the process correctly, Peter painted over Johns pencils, and Rudy inked over Peter's painting.

I was close. i just dug out my copy to check. John drew full pencils and preliminary inks, Peter would lay in some color airbrush indications, Rudy would ink in black AND colored inks (cool), and Peter would finish off the painting by hand. Amazing work.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 04 October 2017 at 5:26pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Eric Sofer, hahaha! No offense intended, man. I found it amusing that in the time I read Eric Jansen's comment and went to respond to it, not one but two other Erics had responded already and that made it confusing which one I was actually speaking to. I take the recommendations of any member of this board to heart because we share a mutual favorite as far as artists go and therefore likely similar tastes. As for Garcia-Lopez, as far as artists go, he's up there with Byrne and Perez as doing what I consider definitive versions of DC superheroes, but the guy can draw literally anything in any genre and do it fantastically. I'm glad to be getting a good deal of his Superman work, which according to reviews, is reproduced beautifully (with the exception of one comic) in a nice big hardcover. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Question: Has anyone gotten the first AoS hardcover (the JLGL is the 2nd), Adventures of Superman: Gil Kane? I don't really think of Gil Kane when I think of Superman artists, but I do enjoy his work.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 04 October 2017 at 7:16pm

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Shane, I have the Kane hardcover, though I must admit, having read the stories when they first came out, I just skimmed through it.  I thought Kane was psyched to be doing Superman, and did some nice work on the character, though if you are looking for the Curt Swan or John Byrne model, you won't find it.  But I'm happy with Kane.  In fact, I bought the collection because I liked his work so much the first go-round.

Eric, on the subject of Buscema you might not have seen, check out some of his movie adaptations for Dell--Helen of Troy, Count of Monte Christo, there's a Sinbad adaptation--he also did some issues of Indian Chief.  Interesting to see Buscema without the Kirby influence . . . 

Don't I remember Garcia Lopez drawing Road to Perdition?  Or have I got that confused . . .

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thanks, Robert. May have to look into picking up that Gil Kane one next. Looks like it might be OOP but hasn't gotten too pricey yet. Saw one for 14 dollars used on Amazon but not sure of the condition.

By the way, folks. Only 6 left in stock of the Adventures of Superman: Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez.Looks like the JBF took a bite out of their remaining stock (I think there were 9 left yesterday), so if anyone doesn't have it might want to order it in case Amazon can't get any reordered.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 1:46am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

With all the talk about ATARI FORCE, I had to look it up and I found that our own Mr. Byrne had something to do with it too--inking (of all people!) Marshall Rogers on the Special cover!

Brian Kelly
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2017 at 1:35am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Eric Jansen, even though it may seem an unusual place to find it, John Buscema did a "western" story in Thor #370. One of my favorite fill-in issues!

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version