Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Disney/21st Century Fox Deal Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Aggressive move by Disney, immediately making them a powerful streaming alternative to Netflix, greatly augmenting their movie and tv presence and forever changing the media landscape assuming it clears DOJ hurdles.   I always get nervous when that much power is consolidated under one tent, however; Disney has the commercial touch at present but nobody is infallible and this kind of consolidation seems far less likely to spur originality or innovation / art as much as it increases the pressure to hit numbers and justify the capital investment and bottom line.  Certainly a lot of money will be saved with the merger ("at least 2 billion" according to multiple articles) but that also translates to thousands of jobs being lost.  As a final legacy-making move by Iger this is gigantic, but it is sad to lose one of the original Big 5. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Until Joe mentioned it, the thought hadn't occurred to me that Disney will now own THE SIMPSONS. Crazy!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

James Johnson wrote:
...and the big-wigs at the water tower (WB) are shittin' in their pants.......

Think how Sony is reacting! 

Edited by Matt Hawes on 14 December 2017 at 11:51am

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Fifty-two billion dollars. That's roughly five Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carriers, or more than half of a Bill Gates!

But worth every penny, if it improves my chances of seeing a good Fantastic Four movie before I go senile.

Edited by Ted Downum on 14 December 2017 at 12:02pm
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Like most people, I think this makes X-Men and Fantastic Four guaranteed parts of the MCU at some point. It wouldn't surprise me if "the mutant problem" becomes a major strand of the next phase's DNA... along with the introduction of Marvel's "first family."

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm probably alone in this, but now that the Fantastic Four are where they belong, I'd love to see them done as a period piece; set in the 1960s - with an already established team/family and black & white flashbacks to their origin.

And no Dr. Doom! Not until the post-credits scene.

*edited for typos

Edited by Ronald Joseph on 14 December 2017 at 3:48pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Just throwing out some baseless speculation here: Disney is not going to to merge the MCU with the, uh, "XCU". With Deadpool and Logan, Fox has been on roll making very successful lower-budget movies. And the R-ratings of these movies keeps them out of being direct competition with Feige's output. But yeah, the Fantastic Four office at Fox, if such a thing even exists, will see a lot of cardboard boxes come and go. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 14 December 2017 at 6:05pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My speculation is that not only will Marvel bring FF and X-Men it the MCU proper, I also guarantee Fiege and the gang had plans for the eventuality for years. In other words, I can see Fiege having alternative plans for the day Disney would get the rights back, and is likely ready to incorporate those changes in time for Phase Four.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Also, my bet is that Deadpool is the property Marvel will mess with the least, barring how the sequel performs. Heck, the character is one of the most faithful translations from the comics to film, so there shouldn't be a need to change him.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I hope they scrap all the X-men and FF stuff that has
happened before and start fresh. More X men, less
Wolverine.

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'd love to see them done as a period piece; set in the 1960s - with an already established team/family and black & white flashbacks to their origin.
No...red, like the cover below. Preferably done in vignette during the opening credits. Just two or three second flashes of chaos at a time, sandwiched between the credits, without context- alarms buzzing, lights flashing, stressed voices reporting malfunctions, and then panic as they begin to change.
Then the credits end, and the movie opens with a news report playing on a television in the background of the living quarters of the Baxter Building: Today marks the __th anniversary of the Fantastic Four's ill-fated space flight blah blah blah.
No need to describe what type of space flight, and therefore no need to make the movie a period piece (as fun as that could be).

Fantastic Four 220 - Thing - Sue - Reed Richards - Joe Sinnott, John Byrne

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

No...red, like the cover below.

Ah. One of my very favorite covers!

I'd mentioned black & white in the hopes that it would visually bring viewers back in time, evoking the mood of a show like The Twilight Zone or movies like The Blob, The Day the Earth Stood Still, the original Godzilla, etc.

Preferably done in vignette during the opening credits...the anniversary of the Fantastic Four's ill-fated space flight blah blah blah.

Boom. Works for me.

Through out the movie, I'd have subtle (blink and you'd miss them) nods and mentions of some foreign/world events (Latveria, of course) on some news scrolls or newspaper headlines here and there, just to plant seeds for when Doom eventually pops up.

And I'd want Doom's "mission" in FF2 to be to use the FF to rescue his mother from Hell/Limbo. Which would also give us Mephisto.

Edited by Ronald Joseph on 15 December 2017 at 10:55am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version