Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 28 Next >>
Topic: George Floyd Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2020 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Well, let's hope they don't dismantle the entire Minneapolis PD. But right now that's the sentiment being expressed by protesters and the council-people. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Andy Mokler wrote:
Do people really believe that violent and career criminals are going to stop committing crimes because the police are gone and social workers are offering free hugs?

Right, because that's exactly what is being proposed.  How learned you are on the subject!
Back to Top profile | search

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I reckon you're being sarcastic Andy but this "Do people really believe that violent and career criminals are going to stop committing crimes because the police are gone and social workers are offering free hugs?"
Is not what is being proposed. A serious reassignment of duties to the right agencies is what is being articulated. Yes, we'll still need a well-trained police agency to handle violent and repeating criminals but they won't be the militarized forces they are today and they won't be called for mental health calls (that often go sideways because cops aren't trained or focused on being good at those) or other public health calls. Police are essentially mis-used in our current system much to the detriment of society and to huge expense. 
Beyond that, studies indicate that more cops don't necessarily mean safer cities and cops aren't necessarily all that effective at solving crimes but best at arresting people for low level offenses. 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

https://www.statista.com/statistics/191219/reported-violent- crime-rate-in-the-usa-since-1990/

The violent crime rate has steadily been going down the last 30 years.  Seems like "the police" weren't completely broken.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Tone deaf as always. These are the types of stats driving the concern:

Rate of police shooting

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Tone deaf as always. These are the types of stats driving the concern:

And that graph is a good example of misleading and probably dishonest presentation.  It's taken out of context since it doesn't show how many crimes are being committed by each race.  

Didn't Candice address that in her video?  3% of the population is committing 43% of the violent crimes.  Doesn't it stand to reason that that group would be shot more often?

Celebrate the life of a career criminal or get cancelled apparently.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Time to ignore

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Time to ignore

Then you're a part of the problem.  This current culture of silencing anyone who doesn't agree with the party line is...well, communist.  

It's the reason Mao came up with the term "politically correct".  

What is so objectionable about agreeing with those who agree that the officer was wrong to kneel on Floyd's neck?  Should face justice?  Support peaceful protest?  But don't agree with Floyd as a hero or that celebrating and cultivating criminal behavior is a bad thing?

What is it in all of that that you have to turn your brain off because you just can't handle it?

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Although I don’t agree with Andy on this matter, I agree with his comments about ignoring someone. 

I used to have a Grade 12 student who, when debating things in class, would just put her head down and cover her ears instead of listening and debating another point of view. She told me she wanted to go to University and obtain a degree in Social Justice. Seemed appropriate. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Andy Mokler wrote:
Celebrate the life of a career criminal or get cancelled apparently.

Jesus Christ.  You actually went there.  What a Grade A piece of shit.  This isn't about "not listening" to another side, Andy.  Your "side" has been listened to for roughly 400 years.  You've gotten your time.  You've had your moment (sadly longer than) and so, I guess,... bravo? 

The reality:

It's about YOU imposing how OTHERS should "appropriately" feel about a situation.  

It's about YOU feeling uncomfortable when the status quo is questioned. 

It's about YOU saying that people who disagree with you are "turning their brain(s) off because (we) just can't handle it" when it's you who can't see the forrest for the trees. 

You want to "other" this.  You want to say "everyone is equal" and "all lives matter".  I can read between the lines.  Toss out shit about a dead man to justify your beliefs all you want, but Jesus Christ, just own up to it.  You are the one who is uncomfortable having this discussion and are coming off as incredibly defensive.  

You spew shit about disbanding the Minneapolis police department that shows you obviously haven't read a single word about what that really means and then you double down using a Candice Owens video that obviously supports your preconceived notions?  Seriously?

You're a brave, patriotic warrior, Andy.  Fight on.  

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Well, I saw those Democrats in Washington including Nancy Pelosi kneeling and wearing the African woven fabric things and just rolled my eyes... because it's not Kwanzaa. It just seems clumsy and overly showy, more about their eye being fashionable and on some polls.

And a couple other similar signs of the times in a Robert E. Lee statue getting the target for the hook again, and Sambos restaurants putting black bags on their letters and saying they will rename. It's stuff like that which makes me wonder if these politicians ever really 'get' anything about actual people and their lives.

And now the opposite further-out extreme reaction will start drumming up panic and outrage about one or two if not all three of these scenes, raising more money from the true believers to fight fight fight. Gah. Dumbing down decade by decade. People are way more important than the signs, statues, flags and gestures, that's who they are supposed to all be working for!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Although I don’t agree with Andy on this matter, I agree with his comments about ignoring someone. 

-----

Eh. It really depends. If someone is going to try to argue with me that the Earth is flat and offer up a bunch of patently absurd arguments for why that it is so, I don't feel obligated to listen. YMMV whether one is making a "Flat Earth" argument or not.

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version