Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 69 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.31--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 March 2022 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This is where the true gratification comes from. Sales, good. Money, great. Applause, terrific. But when someone tells me of a personal connection they’ve made with my work, the truckloads of crap become much easier to bear.

So the thanks are returned!

Back to Top profile | search

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2022 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

At the risk of embarrassing you I won't list the many ways you've provided entertainment to me over the years (decades!), but more important to me was watch you grow and take chances creatively and professionally and taking sometimes unpopular stances that you stand by in the face of opposition.  < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">
Plus you spin a good yarn and serve up a great doodle :)

L Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2022 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Love that splash page teaser - looks like Logan and Kitty are looking at an OHOTMU page. :)

Edited by L Hunt on 15 March 2022 at 10:56am

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2022 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I can add to the list of people who've found personal support in a dark time from this ongoing project.

Not only is X-Men Elsewhen really fun, but it is so inspiring to see anyone doing such top-level work just for the pleasure of it.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2022 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm reading Namor #11-25 (about to start #21), plus New Mutants #75 and a 1999 Hulk #1, for my fix.

I relate positively to the Byrne women usually, I find they have some quality of class and humanity in how they are drawn and act, even back to the original Doomsday +1. They feel like there is someone in there if that makes any sense. At one time I guess this was unexpected in a comic book, but I (and others) came to expect it. When comics went through a fad of flat pin-ups of female characters, mere props to be broken as though one had not cared about them in the least, about when the muscles on males got extreme and insane evil grins multiplied I just quit. It's a continuing quest to find the 'good stuff' I missed out on post '87 and Mr. Byrne has figured most prominently as writer and artist. So often I'd just try a single issue but before long I've gotten the entire run, and that's happened too many times to count now: I'll just try this one IDW Star Trek, or I'll just get the first Doom Patrol he worked on, or this one Spider-Woman, one Wonder Woman, Namor, Superman, Iron Man, West Coast Avengers, or Spider-Man, and suddenly I have these tall stacks! Just like I did in the '80s before I 'grew up' or whatever that was. :^D

X-men: Elsewhen is a great reminder of how solid, fun, inspired and inspiring comic book series were and still can be. Long may it keep spinning!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2022 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yesterday I returned to my ophthalmologist to finalize details of my cataract surgery. Altho these procedures were not even being considered when I suspended “publication” of ELSEWHEN, there’s obviously going to be an impact on my work schedule.

Which means that April 5 return is not going to happen. Sorry.

I’ll let you all know when I have a better idea of when things will get back to "normal" around here.

Hang in there!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2022 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Not so worried about the Return as we are about your good health. We know we'll get more X-Men; we need to know that you're not going to the reprint closet. :)

Good luck and good health, Mr. Byrne - know that you're very appreciated!

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2022 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

You're in all our thoughts for a full and speedy recovery, Sir.  < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2022 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

We will hanging there ! You too ! Take care, JB ! All my support.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Scott Barnett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2022 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Which means that April 5 return is not going to happen. Sorry.

Nothing to apologize for, JB. 

#1- your health comes first
#2- this whole series is a free gift

Sure, we're champing at the bit for more, but we'll wait patiently.

BTW, a colleague of mine just had both eyes done recently (separately, of course) and said it was no big deal. And his vision improved immediately.

Dean Munday
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2022 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I absolutely echo others' comments that health comes first and we'll simply enjoy the series' return all the more, whenever it happens.

As reassurance, my wife had a similar operation over a year ago and the speed of her recovery was astonishing. I shall keep 'everything I possess two of' crossed (no matter how painful!), that your experience is similarly positive! I always did want to sing soprano.. ;-).

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2022 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Hoping to hear that the surgery goes well and recovery is quick. ELSEWHEN can wait; we'll be here.

<< Prev Page of 69 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version