Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 69 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.31--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2022 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Surly the world needs to see Doom take apart the X-men like cheap clockwork. . . .

What intrigues me the most about what may lie ahead is not the battles themselves -- though I know JB would handle them so well!  It's really the overall storytelling -- the motivations, the characterization, the creativity.  There are many others who could do (and some who have already done) a Doom v. X-Men story, or a Wolverine v. Sabretooth story, etc.  I have little if any interest in their versions, but substantial interest in JB's.   He brings a genuine love, understanding, and respect for what's really important -- which is all too rare.

(edited to correct typo)

Edited by Jonathan Kaye on 05 June 2022 at 1:19pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 June 2022 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

“Understanding” of the characters seems, for many, just an excuse to pillage and burn. Knowing history/continuity is only to uproot it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 June 2022 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Beside, Pablo still needs his coming out party.

•••

Isn’t Kitty the Gay one?

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2022 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Beside, Pablo still needs his coming out party.

•••

Isn’t Kitty the Gay one?

Perhaps he wants to say that "Pablo still needs his coming out party"... as a mutant or as a X-Men member? ;)

Kitty the Gay one? Noooo!!! I had always loved the fact that, in Days of Future Past, she's married with Colossus. 

Then, the developing relationship between Kitty and Piotr, was it a Claremont thing?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2022 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Ahem. yes. I meant in terms of our understanding of his mutant power. I should be more careful in my language. :)

Seriously, Mr. Byrne, no one breathes life into these characters like you do. There is always going to a generational component to the appreciation of that fact. The "real" X-men will be the X-men of our youth. Yours were Lee & Kirby's (and perhaps Adams & Thomas). For most of us here, gathered around this point of light on the internet, the real X-men are solely yours.

Speaking personally, I saw what Claremont did with them after you left the book and it was clear he had no sense for their essence, he was solely on a frantic writer's ego trip, drunk with success. Seeing what you have done with them in ELSEWHERE it has hammered home the point that what I always loved about the writing of the book flowed from you as well as the stratospheric level of art that very, very few can attain and even fewer can sustain.

(For what's it's worth: They're your FF too, in my opinion, but you share them with some of the greats.)

It is insane how prolific you have been, and equally amazing how generous you have been to your fans with the gift of ELSEWHEN.

And like a terrible glutton, I'll admit, I for one wish you'd continue. I want these story, that only you can craft, to continue just a little while longer. I am sorry to pester, but it's the honest truth. I am loving ELSEWHEN and want more...and probably always will. And I speak as someone who only very rarely reads a graphic novel these days, having lost interest in most mainstream publications.

If your peers have ignored your output here, it may be ignorance, but I wouldn't doubt that it might also be a smidgen of jealousy that you are still this vital. We also have to forgive today's youth for not understanding the context and the true identity of these fictional characters who have been so distorted over the years.

ELSEWHEN may not have attracted the landslide of attention it would have if you'd done it in say 1985 (pre-internet?), but I assure you it will not be forgotten. Great artist are always appreciated more after they're gone. Humans are stupid that way.

Rest assured, your efforts are appreciated by many. So few of us on this Earth have more "fans" than we can count on one hand.

Geoffrey Langford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2022 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

ELSEWHEN was fun while it lasted.

JB, THANKS for the free comics.  Like it or hate it -- no one can complain about the pricing.

William Lutz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2022 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I do hope you continue, Mr. Byrne, at least for the sake of getting Cyclops outta the enchanted whatever it is, and i do wanna thank you for the incredible run. It was great fun and it is much appreciated, sir..
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 June 2022 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I HOPE to continue! Lots of ideas with nowhere else to put them!!

William Lutz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2022 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I HOPE to continue! Lots of ideas with nowhere else to put them!!

PLEASE!!!!
The kid in me is dying to see more and really misses Xmen Elsewhen and if it helps, I really really do respect and appreciate that you do this for us, this is a wonderful thing for the fans not to be taken lightly.
Thanks
Back to Top profile | search | www

Francesco Consoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2022 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Whew.  Was worried for a quick second!
Restart at your own pace, we will be here anxiously waiting.

Thanks!!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aki Himmanen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2022 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JB: I HOPE to continue! Lots of ideas with nowhere else to put them!!

Whether you do, or not, this body of ELSEWHEN work will stand on its own as a chunk of blinding bloody genius (I stole that expression from some other place.) So much fun, drama, exquisite artwork. A delight.

Thank you so much, Sir.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 June 2022 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

…blinding bloody genius (I stole that expression from some other place.)

•••

As long as it wasn’t a website dedicated to Rob Liefeld!

<< Prev Page of 69 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version